Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Frightening inflation levels for groceries: 16.4%

This especially hits those who need to account for every penny when food shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ye,shelf prices are being forgotten by all the supermarket chains.Another con.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe I just noticed but the 700g box of Rice Krispies has dropped to 660g.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco have them on a good offer atm 510g for €2.57 Stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Own brand cereal is mostly on a par with name brand these days, and even with recent disproportionate increases in prices much better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I agree, I always buy supermarket brand wheetabix and don't notice a difference really.

Buy them in Lidl up North -much cheaper own brand than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I only ever get the branded cereals when they're on offer.

700g pack of Cheerios was €3.14 in Dunnes today. Their own brand is €2.19 for 500g so much of muchness.

The kids have a few they like thankfully so just alternate between what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

This old comparison is so far out of context it bothers me every time someone uses it. When you look at average salary, welfare rates etc and compare two countries side by side, I'd prefer not to live in the UK even with their cheaper grocery prices. I'd likely be paid a lot less too.

Similarly, comparing any other country isn't as simple as just saying the price there then here. I do understand your sentiment but try not to get too stuck on the UK prices. Keeping in mind too that many things are also more expensive there. Can't just pick and choose what we'd like from each nation unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Just a few points on Dunnes!

-I've definitely noticed missing price points on some more expensive options now for months in a row. Definitely done on purpose. There is usually a scanner on the wall hidden somewhere and it's handy.

-dont forget to factor in the 20% off coupons at Dunnes (or close to it. 10 off 50, 5 off 25 etc).

And a few tips.

-buy passata, milk, flour, salt and make sauce from it rather than jars of red or white sauce. A few sprinkles of salt, Basel etc make it nicer than dolmio and save a fair bit.

-make sure to look at the tiny price per kg or unit on the bottom of price points (where available). Huge differences. Especially in cereal. 2.99 for a huge thing of Cheerios versus 4.50 for one half the size.

-Cereal? We do the Dunnes musli(1.99) and porridge (1euro) for adults and then for kids there is always a cheap, large box of desirable cereal. All of these end up delicious. 2 minutes in the microwave and the porridge is amazing (2:1 milk:porridge)

-when the good but cheap stuff is in, stock up on it. €1 Porridge, 65 cent passata, €1 huge sock of onions, 65 cent sour crea

-Buy lower fat meat. Like 5%. It's more filling and you get more from it. Higher fat content just turns to watery grease. Bad for your health and you drain it away. I do the 350g beef at Dunnes for €3 (5% fat) and I does for a meal for 4. Supplement with a huge chopped onion too.

-buy large fresh and cheap things that can be used in numerous dinners. Passatta, onions, carrots, frozen peas, sweet corn, canned tomatoes, spuds, rice etc. A pile of these cost v little but can make 3, 4 or even 5 dinners for very cheap when the rice may go into 3 of them, the tomatoes into 2 of the dinners etc. Whereas you'd spend 3 times more on ready made stuff. Only realised this in real terms recently.

-fresh pizzas seem cheaper than frozen for some reason. And are much nicer

I've somehow managed to keep the shopping price stable at €100 for 2 adults and 2 growing kids a week including all groceries household stuffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Gamergurll

Shrinkflation on Johnsons baby products I noticed yesterday. I normally buy the generic alternative but I was stuck this week. Same size bottle same price I thought was odd, got home and the sun was shining in on the bottles they were only half full! To be fair, they never had the bottles filled to a proper level anyway 🙄

We live near the border and went over there shopping last month, a lot of the stuff there is dearer than here. Creme eggs for example were 3.50 sterling, got them for 2.99 € here. I do miss shopping online since Brexit but for groceries it doesn't seem better. I don't drink or drive (and I don't mean combined 😂) but it's not like the days of my mam and dad going up north for cheap alcohol and petrol 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

What is the nutritional difference?

Label Vs label

I actually just compared the dunnes wheat biscuits to wheetabix online nutritional info and they are almost identical to be fair, including the vitamins and minerals.

I noticed milk increased in price today in Dunnes. I normally buy their protein milk or skimmed milk, now it's 1.49 for a liter for protein and 1.39 I think for the skimmed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You have a larger choice of supermarkets than those further south. They still have £x off £y spend and various UK cashback sites. Plus you can get Amazon food products delivered free to a Royal Mail location. You're better off than someone in Cork for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭bmc58

Oh of course there are some advantages, but I don't drive so I don't go very often, if I did I'm sure I would benefit more. The local supermarket used to stock a lot of products from over the border but stopped after Brexit, it was a pity because they were bargains, half the time I didn't ha e to travel to Aldi 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uli84

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Not quite a price increase, but I had noticed my local Tesco didn't have any plastic bags for loose carrots etc the last few weeks. I asked yesterday and was told they no longer supply them and you have to buy a reusable bag for 49c. Apparently, it's to cut down on single use plastic, yet you can still buy the 1kg carrots in a plastic bag, as well as all the other pre-bagged fruit and veg.

What's to stop them providing paper bags like they do for clothing. That's a bit ridiculous! I guess no need for any bag if only buying a few carrots though if you can put them in your normal shopping bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭pigtail33

You're supposed to put them into the reusable bag, which you'll be charged 49c for. Then remember to bring the bag with you next time, or you'll need to buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭crayon80

At tills staff weigh them

At self scan you weigh them in veg section and print a barcode sticker to scan

At self service tills you choose carrots or whatever and it calculates price

It's the same as what you'd do with bananas. You'd hope people wouldn't pick up a bunch of bananas and then put in a plastic bag

• Registered Users Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So I went back to a conformation email of a Tesco online shopping order from March 2022 and ran the items through again yesterday evening just to compare the prices. The March 2023 prices are shown first and the March 2022 prices are in brackets. A few more to follow.

Tesco processed peas €0.42 (€0.35)

Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic Light Juice Drink 1 Litre €2.29 (€2.19)

Tesco Pancakes 8 Pack €1.20  (€0.89)

Kelloggs All Bran Cereal 750G  €4.50   (€3.50)

Tesco Kitchen Towel White 4 Roll €2.50 (€1.19)

Tesco Butter 454G €3.39  (€2.49)

Domestos Original Bleach 750Ml €1.50 (€1.25)

Tesco Chunky Oven Chips 1.5Kg  €2.85 (€2.00)

Tesco 3 litre low fat milk €3.20 (€2.29)     

Tesco Gold Spread Light 500G  €0.99 (€0.89)

Tesco Frozen Chicken Burgers 680G  €3.00 (€2.70)

Slimsters Wholemeal Square Breads 4 Pack €1.69  (€1.49)

Tesco Luxury Soft Toilet Tissue 9 Roll White €4.00 (€2.79)

Tesco Broccoli Florets 900G €0.94 (€0.49)

Tesco Deli Style Traditional Wafer Thin Ham 125G €1.65 (€1.09)

Tesco Monster Baguette 410G  €1.15 (€1.25)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A few more

Tesco Bourbon Creams Biscuits 296G €0.60 (€0.36)

Brennan Vitamin D Wholemeal 800G  €2.49 (€2.25)

Light & Free Grk/Style Raspberry Yoghurt 4 X115g €3.29  (€3.29)

Tesco Rich Tea Biscuit 300G €0.45 (€0.28)

Tesco Cream Crackers 300G  €0.45 (€0.39)

Tesco Organic Fair Trade Bananas 5 Pack  €1.79 (€1.59)

Tesco Gala Apple 7 Pack €1.95 (€1.75)

Tesco Potato Farls 4 Pack  €0.89  (0€.89)

Tesco 30% Reduced Fat Mature Cheese Slices 250G  €2.39 (€2.00)

Mcvities Penguin Original Biscuit Bars 6 Pack 147.6G €1.89 (€1.89)

Tesco Toaster White Thick Sliced 800G  € 1.19 (€0.75)

Tesco Vanilla Ice Cream 1 Pint (568Ml) €1.09 (€0.99)

Mostly modest increases in that list.Someone needs to have a word with Tesco!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭babyducklings1

Anyone remember the Tesco slogan a few years back ‘Every little helps.’ Oh the irony !!

All these cents here and there add up,

Great post to highlight these increases, same going on in other supermarkets as well. Where does it stop and will it stop.

Advertisement