Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the relentlessness of the price increases that is a right pain in the hole, they never seem to stop. And then cheaper alternatives have seen even bigger price increases. Some products I buy are now on their fifth price increase since the war broke out and no doubt it wont stop there. You'd have to wonder where this is going becasue if the war continues on for a further year and prices keep rising at the pace they have been then this time next year prices across the board will be eyewatering.

The government are set to put the exise duty cuts back on petrol/diesel by September too so we are heading back to 1.90-2.00 euro a liter for fuel which will feed in to even more price increases on food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

When you consider the cow gets nothing it's a fine cut for the middle men

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Plenty of taxpayer funded business support schemes out there but despite that the cost of the Irish produce goes up more than the cost of the foreign stuff, strange isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you think it's a rip off there's nothing stopping you moving.

I'm not sure if you know how rashers are packed, but the chances are every slice has similar fat content to the slice on the base.

Btw, grocery prices have risen in excess of 20% in the UK and I would say they are well ahead of Ireland now - the Aldi chip comparison above shows that in that sector 80% of frozen potato items are substantially cheaper in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

Spoken like a true retail spokesman, and before you suggest I "move away" maybe have a read of the top of the page.

"Home› Topics› Business & Finance› Consumer› Consumer Issues› Rip Off Ireland›Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]"

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Comparing UK price rises with us is not at all a like for like. UK prices were way behind us, whereas here we are paying extra on top of already eye watering grocery prices. We don’t have the wriggle room as “”treasure island” as Tesco dubbed us, had been pilfered for years by the big supermarkets.

Do you know how much fertiliser jumped by last year to ensure good growth on grass. - Hugely affected by Ukraine where most of the fertiliser comes from.

And the fuel used to collect milk from farms.

And the gas used to homogenise the milk.

And the packaging used for the milk

And the fuel used to deliver the milk.

We got used to far too cheap agricultural products for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

A bit lax of them or a day off on the 29th Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Just went into lidls this morning to get my friday 10 oclock snacks for work. Used to buy the deli wrap cajun chicken ones for under 2 euro, a packet of mango chopped and a yoghurt for less than a 5'er..

Deli wraps in 2020 = 1.45 - then 1.85 then 1.99 now 2.99!!! For a tiny little wrap with **** all in it?

Cheaper to go to an actual deli for the amount you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl - Two small peppers €1.49 and yeah I know there is a shortage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Jesus Christ. Fwiw I couldn't even find peppers last week.

Last time I checked cows did not push milk out in 1L packs.

Cost of collecting it.

Cost of homogenising it.

Cost of packaging (massive packaging increases last year)

Cost of delivery to shops.

A few cent at most for a shop.

When milk was 75c a litre, the farmers got 32c-34c, so 21c+ of the increase has gone directly to the farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Aldi and Lidl in particular have moved away from the stack em cheap model they had when they first arrived in Ireland. They’re much more like conventional supermarkets now especially the newer ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Reports by WHICH in the UK says Aldi and Lidl had the highest grocery price increases in the last 3 months.Not much different here.Another stunt I've noticed is leaving old price labels on the shelf-started at least a year ago.Too common to be forgetful/lazy staff.

Okay, Dunnes Stores, wtf?

I've already noted that pet food has practically doubled over the last year, but this six can of 390g tins of Whiskas was €9.49 last week.

This week its jumped to €13.99 - a 47.5% increase. It's no wonder so many pets are being dumped in shelters or abandoned. (Mine won't be).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

I remember when Aldi first opened here, they made a big thing of saying we don't employ staff to stack the shelves so as we can pass on the savings to you, in our local the staff are back & forward from the tills to the pallets jamming up the aisles. They used to have boxes on pallets & you opened the boxes yourself.

We use Dunnes for nearly everything now, with the vouchers with the €10 off €50 & the loyalty points they are cheaper than Aldi & Lidl on a few things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was doing the shopping earlier...a box of 160 Barry's Tea €7.50 in Tesco...

Tesco own brand tea 160 was €2.30...

I understand there is a lot of tea snobbery, but I genuinely can't tell the difference between Barry's and the Tesco own brand, once you let the bag brew a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭gipi

On a similar note, the Lidl version of Dreamies cat treats were 89c last autumn. They rose to 99c, 1.09, and this week have gone up to 1.19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭big_drive

Just spotted this topic. Haven't read back so not sure what's been mentioned but my own take

I've been using Dunnes with past few weeks, the €10 off over €50 probably drew me in.

Today I was closer to Lidl so used that, very similar shop compared to last week. I was expecting it to come in slightly cheaper but didn't actually happen. Practically the same and with the €10 voucher Dunnes was better option for me

Lidl App deals are ok only, lot of them are junk food that I'm trying to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Crazy price, its questionable how good most Cat Food is too.

Would be much better to buy some fresh fish or chicken and cook it and give to your cat .

Tesco own brand tea 160 was €2.30...

I understand there is a lot of tea snobbery, but I genuinely can't tell the difference between Barry's and the Tesco own brand, once you let the bag brew a little

Barrys is a rip off.

I used to get Lyons Gold when it was on offer, think it was ~4 or 5 euro for 240 bags but to be honest I couldnt tell any difference between it and Tesco Gold and I drink alot of tea.

Tesco Gold is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl vinegar 568ml is now 79c

Lidl basic teabags 80 were 89c now 99c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭uli84

Another 20% hike on some items today in Lidl, only found out at the till as staff clearly can’t keep up updating the prices weekly, is there no end to this?

Cajun chicken deli wrap 2.19 in my local lidl. The hummous one is 2.99, but most varieties are 2.19

my guess is its fresh fruit and veg the hikes are on. Add a combination of energy costs (greenhouses need heating) and very poor weather conditions in Spain & Morocco causing a shortage leading to demand outstripping supply and therefore prices increasing. All over Europe.

Should be relatively short lived and fresh produce prices will come back down

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I doubt we'll see prices go down - they may stay the same, so items become relatively cheaper, or we might see 'loss-leaders' again, but these prices are here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Likewise, cat food is the item in my shopping basket I notice the biggest inflation with! Its unreal. I was out of cat food last week (I usually bulk buy it) and ran into a local Centra and 1 tin of Whiskas was €3.50!!

Luckily I have discovered Supervalue own brand cat meat seems to keep my 2 cats happy. Its simply unbelievable and yes this has to be a factor in people off loading pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭bmc58

Dunnes today doing our main weekly shop.Friday is Sweet Chili chicken stir fry night.We use a pack of Amoy Sweet Chili mix as the sauce for our stir fry.It's usualy €1.35 per sachet or €2 for two.Today it's €1.99 per pack.WTF!! Crazy prices every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Had to buy some McCains oven chips as under the fiver and now 5 89 Wow and that was in my local shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,486 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s not questionable - it’s completely obvious how bad it is

Whiskas (same as Pedigree for dogs) is made by Mars. That in itself tells the story. It’s effectively junk-food for cats

Advertisement