Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird moving into my gaff - what’s fair to charge her?

• 09-06-2022 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

What’s the usual situation for this. My girlfriend of 18 months is moving in next month to my apartment which I own outright. What is a reasonable financial arrangement to propose? Don’t what it to look like I’m paying for sexy time but I feel she should pay something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

if you own it outright, split the bills. if youre paying a mortgage get her to contribute towards that

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mr j tayto

For any bird, a box of Thrill a week should be sufficient, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Trill is the word your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Day rate or Night rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Be prepared to lose it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Council house rates €25 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Don’t have a mortgage. But I feel she should contribute beyond bills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesus Christ. 18 months is very young. They meant years, not months, when they told you the minimum age.

Am off to report you to the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

50/50 on bills.. electricity, heat insurance, shopping etc

to be honest I’d just quote her a figure… say you’ve been through the bills and her monthly contribution to the running needs to be xxxx…

any debate, negotiation or pullback just don’t entertain it… like it or lump it. Don’t put yourself in a spot.

well done

well prepare to open up a can of worms. if ye were married would you expect rent? most likely not and while yer not in exactly the same situation, id be looking at it from that POV. yep shes getting the better deal by getting free rent essentially but if anything goes south then you'll still have the gaff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Keep it to 50/50 on bills. Will be much simpler down the line if it doesn't work out. As long as your property is in good nic, you'll still have the asset in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Have her cook all your meals and wash your clothes. "Beauty will not make the pot boil".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭snowcat

Jaysus dont be tight. You are obviously doing ok to own your own apartment. The women love that so i would not charge her but if she mis behaves give her the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd suggest you let her find somewhere else. Your suggesting she should pay rent to live in your house ? Your obviously not ready to share your space with her.

When she moves in it will be her home too thats what normally happens when couples move in together, I don't feel your ready for that and it will still be your home with a lodger....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Moving in with you means it's her home too. Soon you will be sharing a bank account. If you can't commit to her then why are you moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She'll be delighted to hear that you see her as a tenant in your paid for gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If she’s at all decent, a keeper you won’t need to have any conversation, or bring this up; she will bring it up and offer/insist on contributing to pay the mortgage.

edit: it’s paid. I’d not be charging her a cent in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If it all goes wrong it’s her house now and you will be that guy sitting on the canal bank drinking Lidl own brand cans of beer talking to the swans at 11 o’clock on a Tuesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you bring it up you're a tight wad and she'll quickly see you're not for her. Conversely if she doesn't immediately offer to share the bills ditto, simples.

I certainly wouldn't be expecting more than outgoings to be shared though, given you have no mortgage, if you feel entitled to rent on top because she'd be paying it elsewhere, then you are indeed a tight wad.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Protect yourself and your financial security. Come up with a house share agreement with her as a licensee. Bills to be paid 50/50 along with the agreed rate of rent. Declare your "earnings" under the revenue rent a room scheme.

It's all roses in the garden now but when the five year itch kicks in the thorns will show. If you've not protected yourself she could have a claim over your property. You've alot more to loose financially than her.

• Advertisement

You own an apartment.

Your girlfriend is moving in.

You need to ask on Boards what to charge.

I predict you will be homeless in about 9 months and she will have your car as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's a bit different seeing as you already outright own the place. Bills should be 50/50, men and women are equal these days, no room for chivalry. When I had the house and mortgage, I charged herself €300 a month, far less than what she was paying in rent and just under 1/3rd of the monthly mortgage. The intent was she would join me on the mortgage at some point, but after I told her I wanted €10k as the deposit cost me €20k and I was only in there a year before she moved in. Only fair she pays half, including the deposit, imo. Anyway, that didn't happen because we're both smart and realised it may not work out as intended. Which was good, because it didn't work out as intended (we broke up because she started getting serious about having kids, mutual agreement about 2 years later).

I mean, why shouldn't someone who is living in your house pay towards the upkeep (rent) and bills? If there was a mortgage, would people expect to let her live there rent free just because "love"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

No offence but you sound exactly like the OP. She started getting serious?

No she was just committed to the natural progression of the relationship, which you never were, considering your demands.

titling the discussion 'bird moving into my gaff' suggested the same to me tbh

Do not cohabitate until you have read this "Rights of Cohabitating Couples" and researched the subject in far greater detail.

You really should have done this before now.

What to charge? Shared utility bills and groceries only.

Do not charge "rent" or seek contributions towards apartment maintenance (management fees?) and keep all utilites in your name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Is this a girlfriend or a tenant that will be moving in!? Fairplay to her if she's happy to give you money for rent when the apartment is already paid off. But if I owned my own place and my boyfriend moved in, no way would I be asking for rent nor expecting to pay it if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don’t what it to look like I’m paying for sexy time

OP, you need to realise that you are, and always will be, paying for sexy time. The only question is how much!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Would she not be more at home in a nest? Get her a perch at least and let her out the window a few times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You’re a woman though. If it went on it’s arse you’d be entitled to your house. If after a few years this goes on it’s arse she’ll have a claim on the apartment as a cohabiting partner.

Alls well and good at the start, but the claws are soon out if it doesn’t end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Surely it would work both ways, like if my said boyfriend moved in for 5 years, surely he could make a claim on my house too if it went belly up, it's hardly one rule for a man, one rule for the woman

Advertisement