Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Area Commuter Rail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah, they're even worse in person, covered in filth and moss growing on them. Presume they'll be taken down asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Smacks of 'not my job' not to take the old ones down.

The old type were really shoddy, some of them had nearly faded to white.

The old signs were taken down in Carrigtwohill. Looks much better now with the new signs.

Picture of what the new footbridge at Little Island station will look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is that replacing the existing bridge? I assume it will, no need for 2. It'll be nice to have shelter again on the platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

That is one elaborate footbridge!!

Good to see some updating. I wonder will they sort out the car park as well. Existing one is very tight. Upgrading of the overflow would be good to see as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I wonder is it planned to use these on the CART? They are battery operated!

No not initially anyway. These are the new DART carriages for Dublin. We'll have the dirty old 2600 diesels trundling around Cork for many years to come.

They’d be ideal on the Cork Middleton/Cobh runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

They're battery-electric rather than fully electric, and the battery range is only 80km, so assuming neither Cork Midleton nor Cork Cobh are electrified, they will require complete recharging after every two round trips.

It'll be many years before Cork rail is electrified, either fully or with these BEMU trains.

Interesting. Could these not do a full overnight charge and a top-up at the termini where they could be standing for 30 mins or so? It could keep them going for the full shift!

Currently the timetable has trains turning around in about 5 mins. Trains sitting idly for 30 minutes would be a waste. I'm sure something could be worked out but not sure the technology is there yet with the frequencies they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Ireland had battery trains 90 years ago

Does anyone know what works are going on behind the red brick building/towards footpath at Little Island? I know most of the works are the Bridge, but seems to have more area cleared out. Or is it just for access for the digger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'd imagine it's either just for the construction works, or perhaps to allow an alternate route towards the slip-road footpath while the new bridge is under construction.

IDA have very very little interest in sustainable transport in my experience. They recently commissioned "cycle infrastructure" in the business park which gives way at every single private entrance. There is no bus connection. There is no train connection. As the space in that industrial park is already highly desirable for multinationals, they've taken a...shall we say relaxed?... attitude to transport and infrastructure. Real old-school mindset.

I fully agree with you that a station should be a no-brainer. And another at Waterrock, before they build their new version of industrial sprawl there!

Makes sense....I'm half hoping it's working ahead for a footbridge into Eastgate, would be very handy

I don't believe it's that bridge I'm afraid. NTA refused to fund that until the Crompán is signalised and greater investment happened into sustainable infrastructure on the Island itself (refused in 2018 or 2019 or so).

That proposed bridge would have been from the location roughly between the larger car park and the platform. Roughly the location of the old level crossing. That proposed bridge was imagined to begin from the North of the rail line, rather than the South. It would cross to the bend in the Radisson access road. It would need room to gradually increase gradient enough to get over the N25, so it probably needs to begin to the North of the rail line.

https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2022-05/road-design-drawings-100-to-110-pdf.pdf

• Advertisement

That bridge is needed alright though, considering the shambles that is the current pedestrian/cycle route into Little Island.

Ah yeah I didn't think any permission had been given but was hoping a bit of forward thinking. Makes sense they'd have to start north of the line too though

Appears the increased frequency and reduced fares are having a positive impact on passenger numbers.

Below piece from the Examiner:

'Irish Rail has witnessed a huge surge in demand for its train services in Co Cork in recent years. In 2019 there were 480,000 passengers on the Cork-Midleton line. This surged to 707,000 last year. On the Cork-Cobh line, passenger numbers rose from 917,000 to 1.294m, and on the Cork- Mallow route it rose from 249,900 to 368,000.'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Shock result: Invest in public transport, see it get more popular.

Build it and they will come. Drop in fares likely helped as well, all good initiatives. If they increased frequency on weekends and late services even 2 nights a week it would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The frequency increase is dependent on the re-signaling project and the double-tracking project between Glounthane and Midleton. The former is already underway IIRC, but approval for the latter is currently held up at ABP. Assuming approval is eventually granted, and given the priorities of the current Minister for Transport, I’d imagine that project will get underway without much delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

I wonder how they measure it.

The barriers on Platform 5 in Cork and in Mallow are constantly open so I wonder how many people are travelling without being recorded.

Be it those evading fares or those with passes that don’t bother to scan them since the barrier is open.

I can only presume its based on actual ticket sales, Leap tag on/off etc...

Unless you have a season ticket then not tagging off with Leap comes with a financial penalty.

I would imagine the main fare evasion, which can't be accounted for in the stats is between intermediate stations such as Midleton and Carrigtwohill purely as the chances of getting caught are next to zero.

ABP approved in Nov 2023 and construction is expected to start summer 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

It's quite obvious that the number of barriers in Cork, on Platform 4, never mind Platform 5, cannot cope when a full 8 carriage train arrives in. I assume Platform 4 gates are being left open in recognition of that. And how anyone in charge of planning thought the number of gates would be sufficient and wouldn't be prone to creating dangerous queueing situations, is beyond me.

Advertisement