Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Area Commuter Rail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cabinet signed off today on a lot of new electric/battery carriages which will seemingly allow for a 10 minute frequency for the commuter lines when they come on stream in 2026...unless I'm badly mistaken on something about it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I say that's the theory but there was no firm commitment. The line would require electrification would be my guess, which I can't see happening that quickly. Don't think there is enough demand for every 10 mins unless lots of houses pop up in Midleton/Carrigtwohill like the plans. If we get it down to every 20 mins by 2026 (plus late evening running) with an extra station in Carrigtwohill west we will be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The press release says that they might come on stream for Cork at some stage but not initially it seems. They are also battery electric so won't need overhead lines on the entire line which should cut down costs.

"The adaptable nature of the carriages means there is also potential to use them at some stage in the future between Greystones and Wicklow and/or for Cork Area Commuter Rail, serving communities between Mallow, Cork, Cobh and Midleton, subject to available funding for necessary infrastructure."

I expect we'll have dirty old diesels running the Cork commuter line for many years to come.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Biggest issue will be getting enough drivers judging by recent labour shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

"Planning for the new footbridge, linking the station with Eastgate Business Park, over the motorway, has commenced and substantial works are due to be completed here in 2023." Quote from Padraig O'Sullivan TD today.

Interesting as thought this was dead in the water. Would make using train to Little Island much more attractive to those working in Eastgate as the current walk is long and exposed hence not attractive at all.

• Advertisement

I dont mind the walk around as it currently is, it's just annoying that it's not direct. I assume this would go from station across to road into radisson, so would save a nice chunk of time either way.

Anyone know what works are going on at little island stop? Is it for the new footbridge over the lines?

Most stations have nice new signage and the real time info showing up, at least it's looking a bit modern now

Was just about to post this! Lots of work going on in the car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

[quote]Irish Rail has this week invited applications for companies seeking to win the contract to construct a second railway track between Glounthane and Midleton.

The project involves laying a second railway line along the 10km route, the provision of a new sidings/turn back facility at Midleton station, as well as other works relating to track layouts, cable containment routes, and signalling upgrades and alterations.

The twin-track project is funded by the European Union Recovery and Resilience Facility, under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan, and forms part of the NTA’s Cork Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy (CMATS) to transform suburban rail services in Cork.[/quote]

They should really put in the stations planned for Carrigtwohill IDA and Water Rock while doing this, as well as any necessary groundworks for future electrification. Instead we'll have more disruption in the future to do those things once the dual tracking is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Are there any plans for upgrades to station at Glounthaune? Particularly a bridge with lifts. I find it hard to believe that IR are able to get away with the station not be accessable to anyone in a wheelchair or with a buggy. The existing bridge is far from ideal for a lot of other people too I image. Not just related to Glounthaune.

That should be a very high priority. Surprised other funding isn't linked to station being accessable.

Other improvements I'd like to see.

Later service obviously.

Pedestrian crossing turned on at Glounthaune. The road can be busy.

Bike parking added at Glounthaune. There's a cycle lane running right by. At a min a few racks but something more secure would be great. Parking is limited. They need to convert people living close to cycling.

An improved entrance. Currently pedestrian need to walk in the car entrance. Accident waiting to happen.

Some of those are small wins.

I'm not sure on the value of the info displays. Almost everyone has a smartphone. Could an app or link with QR code not give info? I guess they are nice to have but would have been down my list.

Frequency and reliability are good to be fair to Irish Rail.

I emailed IR about the bridge issue (different station but same idea). Was said it is hoped to be done at some point into the future but they're going on high use stations first. I would imagine that should more bridges be done, Glounthaune would be next in line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Little Island is getting a lift now isn't it? Glounthaune badly needs one too. I'd have thought there was enough footfall to justify it, not that that should be how the decision is made. Accessibility should be a given these days.

I know there may be an argument it's existing and not a new station but in general accessibility shouldn't be an a nice to have.

Yeah it'll be first spot with a lift (although i think carrigtwohill has one actually, just rememberedthat). I think most if not all are getting them, it's just a case of when (budget will decide that too). Still unsure if its the new footbridge going in at Little Island now, I can only assume it is. Wonder is it stretching wider than the platforms, lot of stuff cleared behind the hut between platform and wall alongside slip road.

Midleton and Carrigtwohill have lifts although the one in Carrigtwohill was broken for at least 2 years without repair, before being finally fixed in the last couple of months. Little Island is getting a lift and new footbridge. Glounthaune will follow in the next couple of years subject to money being available.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Carrigtwohill west should be a priority. 1000s of people working in an IDA with a train track going through with no station. This should be a no brainer.

Absolutely. It was originally proposed in 2002 under the same plan that reopened the line to Midleton but penny pinching meant it was ultimately dropped. 21 years later and it's proposed under CMATS but with absolutely no clear timeline. The same station will now cost a multiple of what it could have been built for. Typical failure to plan ahead which is endemic in Ireland.

Would the IDA not fund / partially fund the stop? Make the site more attractive?

I'd wonder how many would use it initially. Seems to be a lot of shift work there Vs office hours in LI. The benefits of train to cork city is avoiding traffic.

Be interesting to see what percent of Carrigtwohill IDA workers are within walking / short cycle of a train station. Because if you have to get into the car you may as well drive to Carrig.

I'm not against it. Just trying to understand the cost benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I think IDA part funded a new bus in the IDA. Saying that, there's no intentions of buses being on it for the next few years, guess it's just optics. Yes, correct, there are lots of shift works in the IDA with shifts using changing at 7am/pm. Traffic leaving can actually be quite heavy. I'm on daytime hrs myselft and usually aim to avoid 7pm leaving if possible if i'm working late.

There will be hundreds of daytime jobs in the IDA over the next few year, especially with Stryker's expansion. I know that they do have issues with hiring foreign talent there due to poor transport to the IDA. I would nearly say that it might actually be the most used station on the line if there was a train station there.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Thanks.

Something that could help a lot (for IDA) and in general is better connectivity with the train station. I understand it will come with bus connects. I think more of the east cork bus routes should terminate at the rain stations and align with train departure times.

Similarly being able to go Ballincollig - Kent - LI / IDA as quick / quicker than driving should be the goal.

That is the goal. The light rail line will connect from Ballincollig to Kent linking in with the suburban rail there. Of course this is all many years away, for the light rail anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Be done the same time as the Metro up in Dublin I'd say

Doubtful. The metro is at railway order planning stage and is advancing. The Cork light rail is still on the drawing board. It's about 3-5 years behind the metro in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Was more a joke around the Metro being in some form of planning/drawing board stage since the 1970s.

Well it's definitely the new bridge at LI station, pics up on the green fence/hording

Green fence at the station?

Can't see much online about it.

Where are the start and end points?

On the platform for trains heading east, there's big green fencing (big panels more than a fence). The carpark area beside platform is closed off too.

The fencing starts where you enter that platform from car park and goes back along towards the bridge. Full platform still accessible, it's only narrowed the entire thing a small bit

New signage went up in Carrigtwohill station in the last couple of days.

Old signs still up as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jesus wept, the old signs are near-illegible.

Advertisement