Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 6 Public Hearings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,464 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

according to the witness of Cassidy Hutchinson who said it was recounted to her by two people that he tried to use both hands to grab the steering wheel.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And according to Cheney the other witnesses have not contradicted the account in their own sworn testimony. They all concurred.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sounding like hearsay...until I read Overheal's post

Flipping heck. He is a complete and utter psycho

The president was so extremely angry when Bill Barr gave an interview to the Associated Press, countermanding his claims of election fraud, he threw his entire lunch at the wall - ketchup dripping down the wall, glass and porcelain shattered everywhere. And reportedly not the first instance where Trump may have maliciously destroyed public presidential property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

If nothing else, the inevitable movie they make of this whole shameful episode is going to be an absolute barnstormer. The sitting president of the USA, lying about electoral fraud to a mob of angry supporters in Washington, and then lunging to grab the steering wheel in the presidential limo as part of a hissy fit about not being allowed to go down to the Capitol. WTF!

I do have to admit that I just assumed that Trump had no intention about going down to the Capitol at all, so I'll at least give him that he wanted to follow through on what he was saying in his speech that day, but not that it makes it any way better. The whole thing gets crazier and crazier with all the details released. Did I hear it right - it was discussed the idea of Trump actually barging into the chamber?

F*ck off to the troll 'nothing to see here' brigade, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Absolutely damning testimony. However it will be vital to get testimony from the Secret Service agent or someone else in the vehicle. If they already have testimony confirming it, that's incredible.

But even then, the rest of the testimony is damning throughout. Demanding people with weapons be allowed past the weapon detectors and Secret Service where they would be able to bring those weapons to the Capitol. Trump's advisors knowing and acknowledging that there was likely to be violence on Jan 6th. Prior knowledge and discussions about Proud Boys and Oathkeepers in the run up to Jan 6th.

Boy I sure hope the viewing figures are high otherwise this is all completely irrelevant and not important, as viewing figures are the only metric known to man capable of measuring such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

On a side note here Regardless of The Orange one. I thought detaining or willfully ignoring the presidents orders in this security setting would be illegal. I thought the security situation is advisory for the Potus and the SS cannot overrule a direct presidential order ? As in if the Potus says go here they then say it's not safe and he says go anyway they have to ?

You just reminded about the reports that Trump hesitated to fire Sean Spicer as his press guy because, "he gets great ratings". I suppose that when you hosted a big reality show like The Apprentice, as Trump did, ratings are something of concern, but when you're sitting president, you really ought to have deeper more abiding concerns at the forefront of your thoughts.

That was the plan: look magnanimous on the Ellipse, walk to the capitol at the back of an army, and walk into the captiol and declare democracy was dead in a not dissimilar manner to this, though possibly with many fewer surviving democrats.

• Advertisement

The committee already anticipated that one:

Her office, literally in the corner of the hall of the West Wing, between VP and Chief of Staff, Secret Service, the lobby and the Roosevelt room...

Here she is with the Boys (then House Speaker McCarthy, Chairman Mark Meadows, Rep. Jim Jordan)

And on AF1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, the President says in advance where he wants to go, what he wants to do etc. The Secret Service then makes the necessary arrangements with regards security. However they can refuse or overrule the President in cases where there is a reasonable risk to the President or Secret Service agents above and beyond what would be normal.

I thought detaining or willfully ignoring the presidents orders in this security setting would be illegal.

Nope. The President's authority is not absolute. Secret Service can ignore his cries to return to a dangerous situation (as is so often the case) just like Surgeon General can declare him incapacitated. Trump was demanding they follow through with an Off-The-Record Move which the service had determined was nonviable - they lacked the resources or planning to protect the President from thousands of people carrying untold but clearly nonzero amount of weapons and firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Witness tampering as well. Is there anything they didn't do

Nope, and witnesses tampering and obstructing justice were all pretty well evidence in the Mueller Report.

I'll be at a loss if the core GOP still considers this madman the leader of their party after these hearings though. He's radioactive.

Just read up a bit about it. Yes your correct learn something new everyday. The Potus cannot refuse SS protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

For those who don’t understand hearsay

below is a very good example

I'm the effing president, take me up to the Capitol now," Mr Trump said, according to Cassidy Hutchinson, who said the story was relayed to her by another White House official.

when will we get some concrete evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 39,464 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the people named in the testimony today if they feel that’s it’s wrong they can very easily fix that by agreeing to testify to the committee and say that it was wrong and the evidence to support that assertion. It should be easy.

you nearly had me, good joke . George Orwell could not have put it better

• Registered Users Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The vast majority of her testimony were conversations she heard or witnessed herself. That is not hearsay.

• Advertisement

I watched the then-sitting President of the United States claim live on TV, without a shred of credible evidence, with every case about it (bar one over a technical issue) be thrown out of court, claim to a mob of angry supporters that the 2020 US presidential election result was fraudulent. I'd have him on that, never mind what comes out in these hearings. As @Itssoeasy mentions, if anyone testified about by Hutchinson takes issue with her recollection of events, they're free to voice that and correct the record.

It's unlikely that Trump will face any legal repercussions for his conduct around Jan 6th, but it's all very good reason that the only way he ever sees the inside of the Oval Office again is as a punter taking a White House tour, elbowing the guy next to him in the queue and saying, "Hey, I used to work here, you know!"

If you ever saw the IT Crowd episode where Matt Berry's character gate crashes the funeral, I imagine Trump's busting into Congress would have been a redder-faced less-eloquent version of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The secret service agent Bobby Engel has already given testimony. Chaney says there are multiple corroborated accounts.

Lucky for him Trumps tiny hands couldn't get around his neck.

give me one example of her testimony that was not her quoting a witness.

what did she witness personally

Do you think the secret service agents are lying in their testimonies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

You could have a video of Trump kicking the secret service guy out of the car driving up the capitol steps shouting kill them all and his supporters would still be making excuses for him. It's like a cult at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The first I heard of the hearsay thing was from the GOP.

I wonder if they tested this in focus groups and found that enough people are dumb enough to believe them? I get it. Not being stupid takes a bit of luck starting out and a tiny bit of work not to catch a dose of the stupid so I can understand and sympathise with those afflicted but that doesn't excuse their lack of effort in sorting themselves out.

Another piece of stupid doing the rounds from the usual suspects is claiming that the SUV that Trump on that day was the presidential limo.

No I'm no genius but the SUV that Trump got into wasn't a limo. SUVs and Limos are different in way not unlike the difference between an pram and a bicycle. Both are a kind of vehicle but if you spent 100 grand on a 2022 SUV and ended up with a 1998 Lada, you'd be livid - unless you were very stupid. Young Jack, who already understands that those who follow him are particularly dim, knows that this will be believed and repeated by both the stupid and the dishonest.

I wonder how long we'll need to wait for someone to post that one.

That gave me a good laugh the image tbh. head out the window and his balled head showing due to the wind speed. OFC we are talking hypothetical here no one wishes anyone dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So if Trump had made it to the riots what do people think the repercussions around the World would have been.

I think it would go something like this,

I was just thinking about this. Can you imagine what would have happened to the stock markets and even potentially the whole World if they had of brought him there. If something had of happened to him everything would have went into free fall all the stocks in the World would have crashed and oil would have been like it was at the beginning of Covid ir worse. Our money would have been worth nothing and we would all have been back to trading.

Also him just being there might have caused something similar but maybe not as bad.

What are other people opinions?

I can not wait to see the film made about all this or series.

I wonder who will play Trump who will direct it who will market it and buy it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement