Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss Plateau

Options
  • 03-06-2022 11:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Since November 1st I have lost exactly 5 stone but now I’m stuck. I have another 5 to go. This last month I have lost just 2 and a half pounds. I am eating 1200 to 1400 calories on normal days doing one or two 20 minute brisk walks on those days. On gym days I eat a bit more. It has worked up to a certain point but now it has almost stopped. I was doing one to one sessions with a pt twice a week, 3 weeks ago I switched to a small group twice a week. It’s tougher going but managable. I think I’m going to add a third day to my gym routine what else can I do to try and restart my weight loss? I’m drinking as much water as I am able. I need the toilet every 20 mins during the day. I can’t drink any more than I am 3 - 4 liters a day. Any advice how to push past this plateau?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

1200 to 1400 calories per day does not sound like enough. I'd try closer to 2000 day for woman or 2500 a day for a man. The higher calories might up your metabolism. Also are your food intakes healthy on the whole, ie plenty of veg included? Yay a higher calories in take for a month and see how you are doing. Fair play for you big weight loss already,that is incredible going.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for your reply, yes my food choices are healthy. I eat 3 small meals a day and snack on raw veg and berries. Maybe I will try upping my portion sizes for my meals for a while or maybe add back in some dairy products which I had cut out. I might add some protein bars too to my snacks. I did wonder if upping my calorie intake would help. I assume I will put some Weight on again first by doing this?

I don't know to be honest if you would initially put on a small bit. That is why I would try it for a good few weeks. I think adding back a bit of dairy could help too, they say cutting out entiire groups isn't great. Your diet sounds good so maybe these small tweaks would help you a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Xander10

Could you look at upping the brisk 20 mins to closer to 60 mins? While all movement is good, a 20 min walk will have little impact.

Do you use weights at the gym?

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have trouble with my knees so it’s hard to do more than 20min walk at a time. I’m hoping this will improve as I lose more weight. Yes I’m doing weights. I’m also starting reformer Pilates this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Xander10

I know so many people with knee problems and it's an awful burden. No point putting too much of a strain on them.

Is swimming an option? A less weight bearing exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's an amazing amount to loose in a relatively short time, massive congratulations!!!

If you're struggling now I'd suggest 'reverse' dieting - gradually adding calories to find your balance point - at which you start to gain weight again, ignore an initial bounce but be as scientific as possible and track everything, once you know you daily limit I's suggest staying at that for a few weeks then start reducing again, that should hopefully kickstart your loss again.

I can’t swim. I tried aqua aerobics but everyone else in the class was at least 25 years older than me I didn’t feel it was doing anything. I upped my calories this week and lost 1.3 lbs so I’ll stay at that level for another week and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Overdo with water, do no favour. You are just flashing out electrolytes. If your diet healthy enough and contains lamb/cow liver once a week and food rich in selenium and iodine. Then try fasting once a week that might be the trigger you need.

Well done on this week! Back on track.

I do aqua aerobics with all the golden oldies by the way! Did you ever consider cycling as a low impact exercise?

• Advertisement

I lost a quarter of a lb this week just. I suppose as long as it’s still going in the right direction a loss is still a loss. I don’t know whether to keep going with the higher calories or drop back down. Cycling doesn’t appeal to me really.

Advertisement