Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has there been a load of people quitting in your workplace recently? Seems to be a mass exodus.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

load of utter tosh and complete ageist post. the retirement age has been set at 65 for a very long time so nothing has changed there. you're just looking for excuses and a reason to blame someone else.

all these older people are the ones who paid their taxes to enable the younger crowd go to free university, free healthcare, childrens benefit etc. and because they're on higher salaries, they're also paying a hell of lot more tax than the younger workers. they build the foundation of what comes next, just like you're going to be building the foundations for those that come after you

your post has the tone of send the old folks off to the choppng block when they're considered of no use anymore.

do people forget they're also going to get old? and it comes a hell of a lot sooner than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭dublin49

Well off old people not paying for health care ? where? anyone with assets in Nursing homes are either paying 70/80K per annum from their resources or are paying 30k+ on the fair deal scheme if they have pensions and savings

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

It's taken a while to come to fruition but when the first lockdown occurred here in the UK my husband realised that he'd had enough of work. He's pushing 60 and has had a lifetime of 70 and 80+ hour weeks in a job that's hard physical graft.

I never thought I'd see the day my workaholic, dyed in the wool company man would voluntarily retire but here it is. Imminent.

I know everyone's circumstances are different but I do think that lockdown made a lot of people alter their priorities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yes - two this week alone. Management's response is to express puzzlement as to why given according to them "money should not be the only thing that motivates people" (futher context is the long hours and w/e work expected from the workers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its not your employers problem to care about your childcare situation. Thats your own family, sort it out yourself, you are not entitled to anything from your employers regarding childcare. I hear so many women in my job giving out about returning to work and how unfair it is on their kids etc.

Dont have kids unless you plan adaquete childcare arrangements in advance. As for the OP, yep i find a lot of people leaving my job for different reasons: less stress, wfh, more money, relocating etc. Covid has led to many people wanting a change and actually going through with it too.

There is always a reason not to leave a job but you have to weigh it up and see if its the right thing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope.

Government non-recognition of service outside government in the EU means I'm unlikely to ever be a government employee here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's what I did last year.

Could see a pile of sh1te ahead of us and jumped into the Public Sector for safety. Less money than I was earning in my previous job but I'd rather the security of a Government job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...in order to have a functioning employment market, we must also have functioning social supports, if this does not occur, it generally leads to total dysfunction of both, this is what occurs when critical social needs are not fulfilled, child care in this case. in order to do this, employers must play a part in making sure this occurs, either in house, our at state level, or other public levels. if we dont do this, we are destined for social and economic collapse, due to the dysfunctions created!

funnily enough, you ll probably find most peoples existence is unplanned, maybe this is changing now, but we actually dont live on a planet whereby all outcomes are planned, and perfectly executed, 'accidents' happen, and the fact, we actually need people having kids, or it would eventually lead to the demise of our race, and the fact, most developed nations are now experiencing a rapid decline in births, leading to aging populations, and all its problems, like who the hell is gonna run the place when we re just too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Must be very disruptive - how would you get stuff done with that sort of changeover at supervising level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Back in the olden days, when employers had a labour shortage, they sweetened the deal by paying their employees more. How had that part of the social contract gone out the window?"

I think you may be right wrt this. Loyalty in general is on the wane. More of a dog eat dog kinda society.

One solution is to be self employed and to be your own boss, but then you have to worry about loyalty of customers.

we have encouraged, possible even forced 'atomisation' of our societies and workforce, we reap what we sow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Huge issue within the industry I work in with staff, its been on a decline anyway. Pay being the main driver but conditions being another. I think the last 2 years has really accelerated what would have happened organically. Alot of these jobs have no security, no benefits and I suppose the staff have seen how exposed they are. Ireland is an expensive country to live in, even if your doing your best to budget.

People stay initially out of loyalty but when there is the possibility of more money people would be mad not to move

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People living longer is certainly part of if El_Dude, though if you look at life expectancy for Ireland over the past 50 years it's gone up by ten years. Retirement age has stayed pretty much the same. So I'm not so sure its impact while certainly a factor, is that significant.

IMHO it's all the other wider economic changes that have come along(along with a larger population and raised expectations and "cheap" credit). In 1970 a family could think of and indeed did get a mortgage or rent and raise a usually larger family on one wage. Many, if not most did just that. There was also more social housing available. Today unless the father or mother were well minted that would be a pipedream for all but a tiny minority.

Another factor I'd see in many work environments is the "always contactable" factor. Now with email and mobiles for many 9-5 is a fantasy. Never mind so many with crazy commutes to even get to work. We've become a lot more time poor and where once elderly rellies and kids were looked after almost always by women to be fair, now we have to pay and pay through the nose for that. I've long reckoned that the reason the corporate world and governments embraced Feminism in the workplace was less to do with the clear and obvious moral reasons and more because previously "free" and off the books work, could be monetised and taxed, while they got double the consumers and workers. Always follow the money, or maybe I'm too cynical. 😁

Loyalty and work ethic has been hit by more "corporate american" attitudes and IMHO I would put a lot less "blame" on younger workers for not being too arsed tbh. I mean look at something like our basic utility bills. Loyalty is actually penalised. We're far better off in the pocket chopping and changing as much as possible as "new customers" than being long standing "loyal customers". That social contract has long been torn up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I left my job late last year .... Had enough.

I've a 7 figure sum in the bank, all from saving and investing the surplus. I'm early 50s

id argue, we re now starting to experience ideological collapse, and we dont really know what to do about it, hell, most probably havent even accept this possibility yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Now that's a big strawman of what I said. And I didn't say anything about a chopping block.

I said I'm fine with paying for older people. But I also said we need to discuss the consequences of peoppe living longer and costing a lot more. Exhibit A would be thew way you said the retirement age has stayed the same for long time. But you failed to make the really, really basic observation that people live longer after retirement than ever before and they need the young and working people to pay for their care for longer than ever before. What I called for was discussion of these basic facts but you demonstrated the reluctance to even acknowledge the basic facts, let alone a willingness to discuss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

One of the main problems with a lot of work places now is the amount of corporate bs employees have to put up with; over the top bureaucracy and EHS, wellness initiatives all the rage now too, but, not really of any use to the vast amount of employees, just window dressing or box ticking exercises to make companies feel good about themselves. Most people are seeing through all this bs and are getting fed up of it, there's only so much of that people can take before they have to leave for something else, especially if they are get better pay and conditions in a new job

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

The job market is actually booming at the minute in IT. People are moving on for better money and if a company treated you like crap during lockdown all there best employees are already gone. Where I work its still voluntarily to go into the office.

I know some companies forced people back at the whiff of the government mentioning it and these companies now have to get to contractors in and pay over the odds cause no one will work for them.

With the higer cost of living people are scrambling to get work from home jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There seems to be a constant drip of people leaving my current job, combined with the legacy of social distancing means Im now barely on first name terms with the majority of my colleagues.Will probably leave myself due to it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They live on average ten years longer compared to fifty years ago. In the year 2000 it was only a three year average difference and even that "recently" we weren't seeing similar trends.

Now it's certainly a factor, but I'm really not so sure how large a factor it is. On the surface anyway. Another factor related to this might be; in the past it was more common for the elderly, especially after they were widowed to move in with one of their children rather than stay on independent in their home. Which in turn would free up one house to the market. I noticed this with my friends and peers years ago. A large proportion of them grew up at some point with a granny or grandad in their family home. Those same people's parents are in all but one case either still living in their own home, or in a nursing home because of medical problems, usually because of some form of dementia, which seems to be very much on the increase.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

For the two years of Covid, very few people voluntarily changed jobs in most sectors - at least compared to previous years. It's natural that with relative normality, there'd be a pent-up cohort changing jobs.

Added to that, I think people were able to judge their employer from how they reacted to the Covid situation. Did they reduce wages? Did they allow WFH? How did they manage people's worries about close contact in the workplace? Did they force people back to the workplace as early as they could, or did they allow flexibility? What was their reaction following a positive COVID test? Obviously not all these questions apply to all employment sectors, but for many it allowed an easy comparison to be made between their own situation and that of their friends.

It's an employees' market now, so of course employees will make the most of it. These things are cyclical, and when it's an employers' market, you can bet many employers will do the same. If you don't feel that you're treated well now in your employment, it's unlikely to change when your boss knows there are queues of people willing to do your job for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not bad. Most people don’t realize that they will need a pension of 1 million minimum to have any chance of retiring early. Too many start loading into their pensions too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭techman1

Yes but alot of that bureacracy and box ticking exercises are coming from Government. Look at the amount of government quangos now, the extra bureacracy and regulation and difficulty finding workers is forcing many small businesses to close. This is not being detected yet due to the still buoyant jobs market. But when the widely anticipated recession hits all those businesses will be missed.

As one poster said he gave up being a self employed professional to join the public service to avail of all the benefits and security, (maybe to work in one of those quangos 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A lot of the bureaucracy and bs I was referring to has absolutely nothing to do with the government (although I know that's an issue too), it's just inbuilt in a lot of large multinationals & across certain industries, leading to a lot of non value added roles and reduced job satisfaction.

Noone has left where i work (yet),but a company doing more or less,the same as us over road has lost 4/5 of its staff since xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m moving from an interesting flexible role but no long term security to a long term full time contract. I think it’s time for a bit of stability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Underrated. I've been considering a career change but my job is incredibly stable. It's a horrid thing to get used to.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I know. I don’t want to stagnate either and have enjoyed moving around. Current role especially. Earlier in my career I really wanted a permanent job. More recently not so much.

Advertisement