Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has there been a load of people quitting in your workplace recently? Seems to be a mass exodus.

Options
  • 03-06-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm not in the retail or hospitality sector. It's actually a pretty comfy office based job with OK perks and pay.

But jesus H christ, it seems like I'm getting a good bye email every week or I'm at a leaving session every week in a pub.

Is it just me or is this happening a lot across the board?

I'm seeing people quitting who are part of the furniture so I'm getting a bit worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why? UNless your company has no plans to replace them!!

Now if people were being laid off, THEN I;d worry!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yeah, same. I think Covid made a lot of people have a rethink/re-evaluation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, and I've joined them. Two more days left in the current place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

I have noticed this too, I think people have become less afraid to quit a job on a whim.

I know some who will definitely regret it in the long run, having quit to follow their dreams in highly competitive low pay careers.

There is a lot of far away hills are greener syndrome going around, decent jobs with decent pay and conditions are not valued like they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think its more that in alot of situations the pay and conditions arent decent though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe a case of 2 years of on/off lockdowns, WFH etc gave people a lot of time to think and re evaluate their work situation as opposed to pre Covid where a lot of people were rushing around non stop with no time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well they do say its an employee's market at present, don't they?

Meant to be a skills shortage and lot of employers looking for staff, so many folk are probably leaving jobs for better money and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Currently negotiating on a salary at a new place for 28% more than my existing employer.

The rising cost of living is a large factor in my decision, my current place isn't bad to be fair. Just can't compete financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it. It's framed in terms of resignations but presumably all those people are getting new jobs elsewhere.

Plenty of people leaving my work. But there are plenty of new starters too.

I suppose there's a big song and dance when an old employee leaves, but there's not the same fanfare when a new employee starts. But I presume they're both happening at the same rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Some of the larger construction companies are ridiculous the last 6 months.

There's one I deal with and every single engineer/foreman has left since Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope.

Only 1 has left since Christmas.

IMHO now is a seriously dumb time to change jobs, if you have more than 2 years service. There is a big recession ahead, those still on probation will be first to lose jobs once it hits.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

I see people moving on to places with higher pay but much worse conditions (expected to work extra hours every day with no pay). People are not doing their research on companies, just reading the advertised benefits. Beware of companies who go on about winning awards for being ‘best place to work’ and other such nonsense, if it was true it would not have to be advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

It completely depends the on role and circumstances. For some it's a great time to move jobs, as I did last month for an increase of 24k in salary.

Post edited by Horn_of_Africa on

theyre walking out the door in my govt dept, and we are struggling to even fill roles with contracts the past six months

Could be they're seeing what's coming down the line,,, probably a recession; as well as that they're seeing a vast influx of foreigners coming in,, not too many houses,, get on that housing list toute suite lest they be homeless - unless all in the OP workplace have a mortgage/own their own house outright,,

a leftfield opinion perhaps, but with scant info to go on, it's worth 4 cents..

PS fk work !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be running in the door of any government department given the opportunity.

As a self employed construction professional, I don't see good times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is that speaking as someone working in the public sector as opposed to the private sector?

Back in the olden days, when employers had a labour shortage, they sweetened the deal by paying their employees more. How had that part of the social contract gone out the window?

A lot of this comes back to the same as a lot of social problems like housing. Old people as a group, are living longer, living sicker and needing more care, taking more senior positions in work for longer, living in their houses for longer, being paid pensions for longer. And then we sit back and wonder why taxes are so high instead of acknowledge that they pay for old people's benefits and health care. Wealthy old people who have been at the top for 20 years cant find any money innthe budget for staff, and slag off young people can't get well paid jobs so they can and buy a house and start a family.

Those old people would be furious if they have to sell some of their assets to pay for their health care later in life. It's young people's job to rent a house from an old person and then pay tax to keep that old person in a good pension and with decent health care.

I don't resent paying for old people, but I do resent being called a gobshyte for not having a house by the same people who expect me to pay to keep them in the lifestyle to shich they have become accustomed, but my generation has no realistic chance of having.

If we're going to pay for old peope, and bare the consequences, fine. But let's be honest about it. A bit of gratitude from old people would go a long way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

People read some story in their weekend supplement about some KPMG lad quitting his job to follow his dream- never anything in the article about the inheritance or wedge he got off the old folks- all not as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have to agree. Was talking to someone recently whose son is public sector and thinking of leaving for the private sector. I advised her to tell him not to leave. Recession ahead.

I'm public sector and have just moved to a department closer to home.

I didn't even say goodbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

happy days, people have had enough of bullsh1t jobs, and are moving onto better things, best of luck to them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. Of the retirees I know and have known I'd say a large proportion have the attitude of "well I did it/times were just as hard then/so why can't you/workshy kids" stuff. The usual nonsense of how their generation was better and are blind to the fact the generations before them said the exact same thing. Even when it's pointed out to them it won't fit in the atrophied brain hole. Hell, I've heard this kinda guff from people in their 50's.

Speaking with old relatives of mine, even though they see some of their own kids suffering and now their grandkids there's a near 50/50 divide. Funny enough it's the ones in their nineties who do see it and have said they'd hate to be "starting out in life" today. Maybe because the 90+ year olds had a harder slog when they were starting out compared to the 60+ year olds?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

...so if people are completely miserable in their current situation or they simply cant afford to stay, they should stay, no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Covid also exposed how well individual companies and managers treated their employees. The poor employers are losing a lot of people. Have a look at Herzbergs 2 factor motivation theory for all the reasons that people leave jobs.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agreed

My boss showed himself to be a complete gent. Great communication, incredibly accomodating and involved us all in the decisions around covid.

Some of my contemporaries did not get the same treatment. Poorly communicated 3 day weeks, lack of work from home equipment, rushed/pushed back to office, no understanding of those without childcare....

...or simply didnt give a fcuk about those with kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭Tork

I haven't noticed any increase in people quitting where I work. But I'm told that remote working is a high priority for a lot of new job applicants.

Yes lots moving in my place also. Anyone I've spoken to have blamed the poor working conditions and the lack of flexibility shown for people with children now

True point about the very old people having more empathy for the young. Burning also think nobody is asking the very old to do anything to help the young. Where peoppe in their 50s 60s and even 70s are being asked (probably feel a moral obligation) to support building houses. Better pay for young people etc. Peoppe in those age groups are the ones who are on the better wages and living longer as a group. In previous generations, far more people dropped dead during those decades of, what are now considered, preventable diseases.

Those people live longer and work longer and occupy higher paid jobs for longer. It's grisley, and that's probably why we don't talk about. But we should talk about it even though it's unpleasant. I'm not advocating for old people dieing sooner. But we should discuss the impact of peoppe living longer and understand the consequences.

Two consequences are very clear. One is the lack of available housing because older people are living longer and occupying more houses for longer. The second is that there is far less pay progression and career progression because older peopep are occupying the top jobs with the best pay for far longer.

So the young people are waiting their turn, paying rent to older people so they can have multiple houses, working for older people on poor wages with little pay growth, paying health care and pensions for older people, and being called a gobshyte for not having a better paying job, house and a family already.

And if they move job to get better pay, they have no loyalty or work ethic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

People in our company are getting Dublin wages but WFH in Donegal. our American owners can't understand this. UK offices the same, america is even worse.

Advertisement