Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***The Callisto Protocol*** PC, PS5, PS4, XB One, XB SX/SS

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the combat is bad, it's just off. Massive disappointment for me and yet I still kinda like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Getting into it now and really enjoying it. I don't know if it's just me or the dodging part of the melee combat is just not working half the time.

The tutorial says there is no timing window to dodge, just hold left or right on the left stick as an attack comes in. Or pull down to block it. But 50% of the time I'll hold the direction and he does nothing and I get killed.

There is one part where 3-4 enemies comes at you and I say it took me 10 attempts to get past it.

Now I got a gun and the grip you can keep enemies back and it's much better.

Really like the look of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I am having no problems with dodge to be honest but I'm on pc.

The patch on sunday fixed 95% of the issues I was having. Solid 60 fps at 4k and ultra-settings and ray tracing (capped to keep the noise from the 3090 down to less than a jet engine) with some slight stuttering from time to time but manageable. Only time the cpu peaks to 80% is during the initial loading of the game meaning the initial splash sequences are quite slow to play but the CPU quickly drops again once in main menu.

Really enjoying it but nothing groundbreaking.

EDIT: Reading some benchmarks and my results are not possible with regards to framerate and RT, I'll have to double check my settings.

Post edited by BKtje on

I'm on PS5 it defaults to to the RT on and 30fps bits it's a good looking game. There is a performance mode, I didn't notice it before as you have to back out to the main menu to get it. That turns down the visuals and gives you 60fps.

Not as nice looking but smoother.

I'm getting better at dodging, I think some of the issues was pressing the melee button too fast.

It's still a pain with how clunky it can be when fighting multiple enemies. But still really liking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like they've fixed it at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

Which one, the shader compilation issue, or the CPU bottleneck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The stuttering(shader compilation) was mostly fixed with the first patch that arrived late Friday\early Saturday. I never actually saw any of these issues. By the time I got it downloaded on Saturday, the version I had was patched. I'm on a 3600 with an AMD 5800x. I went straight to DX11 as I find DX12 causes issues with most games on my system.

I see some framerate drops when I'm in areas with lots of flames. That's about it.

There was another (10GB) patch today with further improvements.

I'm on the second last chapter now and for a large part it is fairly good, but let down by some silly choices that are incredibly frustrating.

Poorly placed checkpoints. A checkpoint that reloads you just in front of the shop where you cash in all the items you collected, and spend the cash on doing your weapons, right in front of a boss battle. Every time you die (which is a lot due to the clunky combat) you have to go to the store again, and cash in all your items again, and do up your weapons again and again and again.

I tried a manual save after fixing up my weapons and the manual saves brings you to the last check point !!

Changing weapons is slow. It involves pressing right on the d-pad to open the menu, then you press up or down to find your gun, then you press X. Then it goes into the preset animation to swap weapons. So it's really hard to do when you have a few enemies near you. You do get a quick swap much later but even that is a bit wonky.

Everything is clunky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

I was really liking callisto protocol until near end of third chapter . First real wave of enemies I had to deal with and game completely fell apart for me . was impossible deal with waves of enemies due to the dodgy dodge system and not being able turn around and deal with enemies behind me . thought I had passed the section at one stage but game had glitched out and enemies wouldn't spawn 😀. Had to lower difficulty to pass section . obviously rushed game get it out before dead space because combat is fundamentally broken if facing more then one enemy? It looks and sounds incredible on ps5 . Might struggle finish it now with combat system so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Interesting, I had no problem with the combat system for the most part on PC. I could dodge when I wanted but there were times when you'd be killed by an enemy you didn't see that came from behind or elsewhere. A quick turn would have been great alright.

The weapon change is clunky as you get more and more options throughout the game. When you're cycling between empty weapons in the middle of a fight it's a pain, but I didn't find it game breaking.

Finished it off, and overall I liked it. But it could have done with a few improvements to the clunky gameplay, weapons swapping and camera movement. By the end, I was glad it was over as it had kinda run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 the_covey

I'm twenty hours in and my overriding feeling of this game is that it's seriously rushed. Given it was made by a bunch of former Dead Space devs in the shadow of a remake of the first Dead Space about to drop, they probably had to kick this out the door before it had finished brushing its (many) teeth. Even after the performance patch (I'm playing it on a PS5 and the day one performance was horrendous) there's still a wealth of glitches and graphical issues that really should've been caught in QA, which leads me to assume there was barely any or whatever issues I'm seeing were caught but the game-breakers were prioritised for bug-fixes.

I'm having fun though and enjoying the sparse story but I'm constantly falling in and out of love with the combat. Hint to anyone playing this from the start, save your credits and rush for the block break for the stun stick (on the upgrade tree, it's the right prong second option), it seriously makes the combat so much better and easier

It feels like someone made an amazing 1-hour tech demo that looked so good it got Kickstarter funding to turn it into a full game, but the end result was just a longer version of that demo and never had the innovation to stretch out beyond its initial idea so it just repeated the demo 6 times in different looking areas to buff it out.

The Player needs to go to a new area. Let's have him fall off something, crash through the floor and be in the new area. That's cool. Now let's do that three or four more times rather than think of a compelling reason to go to a new area each time.

You find a locked door that needs a fuse to open and have to find it somewhere else. That's kinda cool like a mini key card puzzle from back in the day. That makes the game a bit longer and they see more of the level. Now let's do that ten more times.

Here is a two-headed mini-boss, he was really frustrating and annoying because he is a one-hit kill strike and movement is really clunky so it's hard to get away from him. Let's have him pop up five more times instead of thinking of a new one so he gets more and more annoying every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for that mini boss I see that they really put a lot of effort into making him harder by... adding resapwning thrash mobs during later encounters and changing nothing.

• Advertisement

Ok so i'm on the 5th of the 7 chapters now . The combat eventually clicked . I'm gone back to thinking this at least a 9/10 maybe a 10 . Way it's going it's going surpass Elden Ring , ragararok & Guardians of galaxy to my game of the year . Atmosphere incredible and I think it's best looking game ever ? The fact that's it's so linear , lack of collectibles and maps etc is very old school will turn people off but i'm sick of being hammered with maps , hints , collectibles and protagonists not shutting the F**k up during games that this game is a breath of fresh air .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone able to let know can you upgrade last gen versions of this ?

I got gifted the Xbox one X version of this instead of the series x version does not seem to have any smart delivery available?

Read on Reddit they expect you to pay again ?

I loved the main game . Anyone play the dlc ? any good ?

Advertisement