Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

put up a union jack flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If he lives in Dublin there will be no problem at all, sure they were all out waving the butchers apron when Victoria came to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A few westbrits popping up on this thread....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sure even the most Orange man in the North is just a Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

There ye go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Was is this. Hang ‘em high; for Christ sake. Cena you’re bigger than that

I continue to be amazed at the number of Irish people who have no interest in having a country anyway different from the UK. Well, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

You should learn how to play the flute and give us a bar of Billy Boy's....

I have it as a ringtone, drives my Celtic supporter friends nuts .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't forget - you have to take it down at dusk.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly Dublin is a pretty big place and one location’s attitude is not determinate of another.

Secondly, as someone from Tipperary who lives in a Dublin suburb, my attitude of a neighbour who flew a Union Jack would be live and let live notwithstanding my own political views.

But honestly, depending on location you are drawing trouble In the same way as an Irish family flying a tricolour in England would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OP said he was going to put up a Union Jack. He didn’t specify exactly where he was going to put it up. 😬

PS today I learned that platty joobs is trending, at least in the UK.

Post edited by bnt on

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭growleaves

In 1900 there were Redcoats permanently stationed in Dublin town, outside the Bank of Ireland building on College Green.

They would also be around Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) sometimes according to James Stephens.

Bit different today. No armed British soldiers around to set the tone of what's acceptable and expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

"God Save Ireland".

On a serious note for obvious reasons I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Within living memory the British army murdered civilians on the island, of course I wouldn't expect a southerner to care about massacres in Derry or Belfast. Anyone who did care was considered small minded as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Being irritated at the sight of a union flag doesn't make someone idiotic. You don't have your Catholic majority towns plastered in them every year like we do in Ulster. They are used to intimidate Catholics and to remind us that their culture is still dominant, there is nothing innocent in it. It must be great to have been raised south of the border that you view a union flag as something innocent without hatred attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it is great down in the Republic. For one thing, As you point out, we don't view the union flag as something with hatred attached.

Its relatively peaceful in the Republic. We don't need to hate the British or their flag. It's totally optional

Be no worse than flying a swastika or a confederate flag i guess.....why anyone would want to fly a flag of british empire,nicknamed the butchers apron,is beyond me

England,scotland and wales all have their own flag,without throwing up all bad sh1t that union jack associated with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

May as well wear a Chelsea shirt OP

Plenty of Chelsea supporters in Ireland who clearly never heard of some of their fans and anti-Irish hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I thought I'd give it ago, it didn't end well 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Dublin was covered in Liverpool flags recently

What difference is the Union Jack

I was saying the idiotic ones are the 1% who would actually make it into a confrontational situation. Definitely empathize with your experience up the North. Flags up there are very powerful symbols, be it the tricolour or the union jack. By contrast, the people in London waving union jacks at the royal family are fairly innocent in my opinion. Far more innocent than the ones who hang it up on the Shankhill Road and the likes every summer. Having grown up in the 80's and 90's I view the union jack as not totally innocent, but still in this day and age don't really view it as particularly negatively as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Are you serious or was that some poor attempt at humour? Do you really need to be told the difference or why the union jack flag offends various people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Liverpool is in England

What f**king difference is it between a Union Jack and a Liverpool flag. If you want to hang a Liverpool flag you might as well stick a Union Jack up beside it.

I find it hilarious irish people complaining about English etc and then supporting English soccer teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

im completely with that poster, a large number of people who have the '**** the brits' attitude will happily go to liverpool etc a couple of times a year to watch their soccer teams

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hell of a difference between supporting a football club and a country. No link between the the two at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,999 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a flag of a football club is the flag of a football club, no more and no less.

the union jack on the other hand is a symbol of racism, sectarianism, empirialism, brutality death and suffering and it has no place in ireland.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It’s ironic that the number of references to Liverpool in a thread about celebrating the Queens jubilee when the vast majority of Liverpool residents are anti the monarchy and said they will not be celebrating the Jubilee. https://inews.co.uk/news/streets-not-celebrating-queens-platinum-jubilee-1648222

This was clearly voiced when large swathes of their supporters booed the National Anthem in the FA cup final. Each person who did probably had a different reason for doing so ranging from how Thatcher decimated the city with her Managed decline policy of the City, the cover up by police of the hildsborough disaster, the widespread abhorrence of the Tory Party and its portrayal in mainstream media as a city with a chip on its shoulder. The monarchy is the figurehead for this disdain so to simply want to celebrate the jubilee because from Liverpool, is not the norm but absolutely no issue with that.

I have yet to meet someone who has actual anti-english sentiment when it comes to English people. On the other hand derision of symbols such as the Union Jack are polarising. As an analogy, the July 12th Marches in Loyalist areas are a completely different kettle of fish and to celebrate their heritage (even if goes against my own personal beliefs is their right) but when the same parades with their flags waving in Nationalist areas even when disallowed by the parades commission simply to stir up trouble is not celebrating but pure ignorance.

One point to note that the current situation post Brexit in Northern Ireland and the British Government trying to renege on international peace treaties and the biggest threat to continued peace in Northern Ireland since the height of the troubles under the auspices of the Union Jack is probably reason in itself not to fly one.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the celebrations and if it’s part of your heritage fair play and hopefully no small minded bigots will ruin that for you.

Post edited by joeguevara on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

So we'll just go about hating each other for the rest of eternity so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Never mind the Irish, try researching what the majority of people from Liverpool think.

Advertisement