Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

put up a union jack flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So... precisely a 'grr feck the brits' attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

more of a 'the brits have a history of colonization that the majority dont own up to and so feck that' attitude

A slightly nuanced 'grr feck the brits' attitude.

I doubt most colonial powers own up to the consequences of their history. The Germans owning up to WW2 is probably pretty unique in that regard.

How much do ismriah people own up to Irish raiding and slaving from the neighbouring coasts in Scotland, england and Wales. The kind of raiding that resulted in St Patrick "relocating" from Britain to Ireland?

I doubt most Irish people even really know about that partner Irish history, let alone take any ownership for that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Just because colonial powers have forgotten or choose to ignore their own history doesn't mean the people from the lands that were colonised/brutalised are going to forget it too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Sure. I wasn't brutalised by the brits alive today. So I'll just be happy for them when they have their jubilee events.

The ones I know are generally ignorant of the consequences of empire. They're ignorant of the fact that there're ignorant so there's absolutely no point being cross with them about it because it's not really their fault. It's a collective ignorance resulting in the modern brit having no idea why Irish people hold hostility towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Maybe fly the tricolour ? 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Maybe do a bit more thinking and figure out what you are trying to achieve. You must have some kind of objective in mind. If you lay it I'm sure you get the responses you are trying to invoke.

Yeah I don't hate the ordinary brit alive today either, but I have no love for their establishment, which will be the most vocal celebrant of these occasions, using the event to further their stranglehold of power. That's the way most Irish people will see it too, its not being against or hostile to the ordinary subjugated citizen of Britain, its a collective hostility to the British establishment, an establishment that refuses to own up to its brutal past while creating a educational situation where a good number of its subjugated citizens are, as you say, ignorant of their own history too. Not our fault.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Law dee daw with your tippex. In my day it was blue pen

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NebraTZ

Can't see how anyone could object to a union jack, if hung beside the tricolor, and not higher or a bigger flag than the tricolour. see https://tfmfoundation.ie/the-irish-flag/flag-protocol for a guide to the protocols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

sorry but there are very few similarities between that example and the colonoziation of half the world by the british state

exactly this. i do also find a large proportion of ordinary brits who still refuse to accept that their history is tainted despite being presented with the facts unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I certainly wouldnt like to see a Union Jack hanging anywhere in my neighbourhood after all the British did on this Island , many peoples relations were killed or jailed by the British including my own .

You could make yourself very very unpopular in many parts of the country, probably get away with it in South Dublin but a bit over the top for celebrating a British monarch after all this country suffered. Be a bit like hanging a Russian flag out your window in the Ukraine in 50 years time!

The scale is different. The fact that Ireland has shameful parts to its history which we don't "own" as you put it, is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

The only place I have seen a Union Flag flying in Dublin North or South is outside city centre hotels along with others.

Seems #CursedJubileeDisplays is now a thing.

Of course we "own" it, that very story about Saint Patrick you brought up is told to every child that goes to school here, who supposedly Patricius was, and where he came from and what supposedly happened to him. Its not like we teach everybody he was Paddy from Tubberquack in County Mayo and nothing bad ever happened to him or his family, quite the opposite in fact.

And what else do we teach about the Irish raiders and slavers? Not a lot, to be fair.

I've even spoken to Irish people who didn't twig that the St Patrick story starts with the Irish slaving industry.

I've even heard people say things to the effect that "Ireland never attacked Britain" (meaning the island that we call britain today).

It's easy to get cross with the British for not "owning their history, bit I doubt many Irish "own" the less glamorous parts of our own history.

In any case, let them enjoy their jubilee if that's what they want to do. Let them fly their flags if that's whatbthey want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

You could upset some of your neighbours who watch British tv and follow British footbsll teams.

Irish tv is ****! The league of Ireland is ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Funny i mentioned doing this very thing today also ask where i could buy a union jack from with my work colleagues , they couldn't stop laughing , they knew i was joking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Would it go down alright if I fly the Golden Harp with the mangnificent breasts?!

..no mistaking that one I’ll gladly fly it; not even colourblind yet often think for a moment we’re leading the Giro D’italia. I’d say it’d catch on as a fashion symbol as well like the British flag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Treppen

If it walks like a poppy thread and quacks like a poppy thread, then.... Let's all wear the poppy 👍

• Advertisement

There is plenty of our own history that was airbrushed and literally destroyed by various foreign entities that came in here swinging their sticks and canes. But the fact remains, every single child was told about Saint Patrick, how he was kidnapped by Irish slave raiders. I was told about how various Irish warlords and their tribes attacked the likes of Clonmacnoise etc. Just because certain people you know didn't listen or weren't even interested is irrelevant. We were taught it, our establishment taught it. You can't say the same for people over in Britain who aren't taught basically anything about the same timeframe, which is the 5th century, of their own history. They aren't even taught about the things in the 11th century such as the Harrying of the North, but that's because the current British establishment is only concerned about a few selected historical facts after 1066 when another bunch of foreign entities went in there swinging their own weapons of conquest and have planted themselves there ever since.

I think you overestimate the knowledge of the average Irish person. I wish it were true that they knew about it, but it ain't. Good that it's taught to small children in schools. The average punter is not conversant in those periods of Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

For the Pedants corner:

There is some debate about it but it is thought that the Union Flag is the correct description. With Union Jack only referring to a Union Flag flown on a ship:

More recently, Reed's Nautical Almanac (1990 edition) unambiguously stated: "The Union Flag, frequently but incorrectly referred to as the Union Jack, ..." and later: "8. The Jack – A small flag worn on a jackstaff on the stem of Naval Vessels. The Royal Navy wears the Union Flag ... This is the only occasion when it correct to describe the flag as the Union Jack"

For comparison with another anglophone country with a large navy, the Jack of the United States specifically refers to the flag flown from the jackstaff of a warship, auxiliary or other U.S. governmental entity.

🧐

terminological inexactitude, dahrlin'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well what else can you tell us about Irish raiders and slavers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That would be “a” tricolour wouldn’t it …

god bless the colourblind. Or worse still, if the wind turns

Ah, shur there was loads of raiding and slaving between the British and Irish Islands. For example the Irish and Scots were raising each other for centuries, slaves, invasions and so on. The Bruce invasion of Ulster was pretry successful at one point or another. Lots of slaving, murder, raiding and so on. I don't take any responsibility for it because I wasn't there and didn't take part and thst was the way it worked back then. St Partick was one of the victims of Irish slaving and raiding industry. I don't expect the average Brit to take much responsibility for the same ressons.

It would be nice if they knew a bit more about it alright, but they don't. So the options are to get over it or get thick about it. I'll just be happy for them if they enjoy their jubilee celebrations.

I'm not sure what you want kind of information want from me. I'm certain you won't be satisfied with my answer. But I don't think you were asking in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't think anyone feels shame over 5th century slave raids because it's so remote in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement

Well I'm an average Irish person and know full well all about it. Most people I am friends or family with know all about it too. Maybe you just have a disregard for what Irish people actually know about their own history or just history in general? The entire continent of Europe and beyond at the time periods you are talking about was awash with various tribal warlords battling each other after the fall of the Roman empire. This included the island where England is now situated. Irish invaded, Saxons invaded, Vikings invaded, the Normans invaded. Ask any Irish person did the Vikings and Normans invade Ireland, they will, to a man and woman state yes, ask an average British person the same thing, the majority will not have a single absolute clue what the hell you are talking about.

Advertisement