Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish student attacks roommate with chainsaw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That is mad altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

The son of a diplomat apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭RossGeller

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I get the impression he was being a buzzkill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

he had the weight of the world on his shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Watching too many video nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I googled it to see if I could find out who he is, I'm nosy like that. If you Google it you'll find pretty much just the same info but that he's the son of a diplomat. This might be the last we ever hear of it given the whole diplomatic immunity thing. It's probably going to be covered up and the lad will stay in a nice private mental institution. It must have been horrific for the young man he attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Citizen Six

Does immunity apply to sons of diplomats? And surely varies depending on the level of the diplomat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I'd be driven to doing the same if I had to live with a Frenchman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Some of the shite Aldi and Lidl tempt commoners with will only lead to more of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fallout2022

He went straight for the kill. Where his Da would have exhausted more diplomatic avenues before going for the power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If his father / mother is posted to France, then he may well be announced to the French Foreign Ministry as a dependent of the diplomat and be travelling under a diplomatic passport. He will be able to assert diplomatic immunity.

This can be waived by the Department of Foreign Affairs (ultimately it will come down to Coveney). Immunity is intended to protect sending state officials from harassment or politically motivated prosecution in the conduct of their work. Usually it's asserted to dodge prosecution for traffic fines / drunk driving / minor scuffles.

The further you get from the work of diplomacy and the more serious the malfeasance, the less justification for asserting diplomatic immunity. You'd think attempted murder would be one of those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a photo of the irish psycho has been released *

on a serious note - mad altogether, must be on drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

How can an 18 year old end up in a good French college and I presume finish the leaving cert with good points as well?

My first thought was drugs as well. I have had a family member on drugs and his behaviour completely changed for no apparent reason. They saw nothing wrong with threatening and hitting me (I'm female). And for no reason. Complete psychopath. He was on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Is the attacker Irish or 'Irish'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No use in speculating on the reasons or the usual nonsensical diagnosing. He’s obviously where he needs to be right now.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm intrigued by the, he must come from a 'good' family so it couldn't be drugs or mental illness vibe off some of the replies are people really that stupid?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

F*cking hell. That story just disturbed the **** out of me. How can an 18 year old Irish college student get his hands on a chainsaw and then attack his room mate with it?

This psycho's mindset must have been warped upon reproach when he tried to do this sick act upon his room mate. He attempted to make it a big scene in front of the other students who lived in the apartment building. Luckily it backfired now that the victim is now making a recovery from this horrific ordeal.

If that psycho was a normal person. He would either be spending a long time behind bars or he could have been shot dead by French police on the spot if the situation was much worse than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Now people realise the extemes of living in house shares / room shares with random people you dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

**** like that can happen with people you know or are related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Was it a Husqvarna or Stihl?

🙈🙉🙊

i'm sure his roommate didn't stay 'stihl' he would have bolted out the door😲

He went nutty.. it happens.

TBH I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often (not necessarily with a chainsaw). Spend any extended time abroad, and you'll see far more incidents involving teens (approaching or at leaving cert/similar) losing it completely, and hurting/killing someone else.

I'll go with stress being the cause. Son of a diplomat? That's a lot of stress to deal with in a competitive environment.

maybe his roommate was a snorer? enough to drive anyone demented

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭RossGeller

Possibly did bad in a few exams and so decided to chainsaw his roommate...

Right..

• Advertisement

Stress is a major problem for many students, who live by a certain regime, especially when it comes from both the parents and the school. Which is particularly the case with private schools, or those from high achiever families. People often snap under such pressure, reacting in unpredictable ways.

Oh, I didn't say he did a few bad exams and decided to whatever. I said he went nutty. I've no idea what set him off, and neither does anyone else. A violent action, and probably regretted the second after it's done, rather than planned out in cold emotionless logic.

Advertisement