Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric bicycles and scooters

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Some years ago (pre-pandemic) a rickshaw a pedal-powered trike with an electric motor, scratched my car in town, he flew off the pavement on the road hitting me as I was static in traffic, but he was able to nip up back onto the pavement and in traffic, I was unable to leave my car and chase after the individual (and not sure what I would have done if i caught him). If there was a licence plate on it I could have reported him I suppose!

If e-bikes share the road with cars they should be forced to be registered in some way, if the swiss can do it why can't we.

And I know Car Tax or Motor tax is no longer called Road Tax, but to use the road fair is fair they should be charged even if it is a moderate amount! If you are taxing car users, motor-bike and moped users to fund upkeep of roads it is unfair if other "powered" vehicles are not taxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A drunk pedestrian once damaged my parked car. If they'd had a license plate I could have reported them similarly.

The Motor tax goes into general tax pool. Someone who lived all their life in cave but paid tax on income has paid to upkeep roads.

Motor tax is an income stream for the Govt nothing more or less. It got nothing to do with Roads. They also use it to change peoples habits, Out of one type of car into another. Hence why electric cars pay very little. Such is the case with eBikes and Scooters.

The problem with the current insurance/tax regime is it doesn't encourage you to use a car less. It should be based on use with discounts for commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Going on what I have seen of their use it will be pedestarians that will have to share space with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I see Norway has legislated for escooters - allowed on pavements, over 12s allowed, insurance for rental companies this year, and personal users next year. and you can be done for drinking and escootering

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/electric-scooter-rules-explained/

• Advertisement
Advertisement