Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric bicycles and scooters

Options
  • 29-05-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done already but I've no way of knowing...Is it a matter of top speed or what, but why do electric powered bicycles and scooters not need insurance and a licence? I can't see the electric bikes being much different to mopeds tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They do (need a licence and insurance) but the law is simply not being enforced while the Dept of Transport dithers tries to come up with a policy on how to deal with them.

They are mechanically propelled vehicles according to the 1961 Road Traffic Act so insurance and a driving licence are legally required to drive them in public places.....

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—

(a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,

(b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Seems hit and miss, but my wife has a client who just had his driving licence suspended for 12 months after being caught on an electric scooter coming out of the park. He had been warned inside the park by a guard about using it - so they threw the book at him when they saw he had hopped straight back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Powered scooters and bikes require tax and insurance, power assisted bikes do not. Power assisted means the thing won't move without you continuously contributing to the power output by pedalling and when you are not contributing the power from motors cuts out (e.g. freewheeling down a hill). Not sure about power asssisted scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So I think pretty much all of commercially sold e-bikes are only power-assisted, so don't classify as mechanically propelled vehicles.

Only e-bikes which can propel on their own I've ever seen were aftermarket conversions, usually using Chinese motors and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought the issue was those devices which are self propelled have no road legal classification therefore are not road legal and there is no means to tax or insure them.

Until they sort that out, there is no way to use them on the road (or public spaces) legally. You can only use them on private land.

As others have mentioned there are legal eBikes. Just because you see an eBike doesn't mean it's not legal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in order to be considered legally a bicycle, these are the three main criteria:

• must not be able to move purely under its own power (i.e. the rider must be pedalling for the motor to engage)
    • cannot provide assistance once the speed is greater than 25km/h (i.e. if you see someone doing 28km/h, say, the motor should not be assisting at that point)
    • the motor cannot be rated higher than 250W

anything breaching the above would be legally considered to be a moped. this may change when the (repeatedly delayed) legislation on scooters etc. is introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I highly doubt that any of those criteria will change once the legislation passes..... in 10 years time. The Government have dragged their heels on this and won't put the extra brain power into coming up with new criteria. I think most countries in the EU have the same rules in place anyway.

Talk about dragging their heels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it had been promised that the whole road traffic acts melange of amendments and bolt-ons would be tidied up with a complete revamp of the laws, a 'one ring to rule them all' approach. i'd like to think this is the reason for the delay, but i haven't a clue what the actual reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I think they had a huge thread on the electric cars forum

like everything else in Ireland this is stuck in the "what happens if someone hits someone"

Our insurance is crazy so what happens when a 12 year old smashs into someone.

Go to Europe and these are dotted all around the cities, they have a company in Ireland who is installing them all around Europe, London as well etc and they have met Leo etc but no movement from what I can see

Our biggest issue, Dublin is designed for cars, so anything like eBikes/Scooters have to be pushed onto the road with cars etc. Thats too dangerous, we should be shutting down the city to cars and then it will be easier to implement these technologies.

• Advertisement

The RSA website says that unless you need to continuously pedal, it's considered an MPV. Which concurs with the first bullet in your post, there is no mention of the other conditions you quoted.

Regardless of the type of bike, its speed or whether it requires a push start, the rules are as follows:

• If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone (i.e., it can continue without you pedalling or scooting it) then it is considered to be a ‘mechanically propelled vehicle’ (MPV).
    • Under road traffic law if an MPV is used in a public place it is subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles i.e., it must be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured.
    • The driver of the vehicle must hold the appropriate driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet.

https://www.rsa.ie/road-safety/road-users/special-purpose-vehicles/powered-personal-transportation

It falls under EU regulations AFAIK.

In the European Union a pedelec does not need registration, insurance, or license plate, if it adheres to these rules:

Motor power up to 250 W (continuous)

Motor is active only when the pedals are turned

Highest speed of 25 km/h (15.5 mph) with motor assistance

If any of these rules is not followed, the vehicle is classified as either e-bike or S-Pedelec which require a license plate and insurance, or as a motorbike which also requires a driving license.

As usual we've not bothered our behind to sort it out specifically here.

At the risk of sounding like a Brexiter, I wasn't aware that we had handed over the regulation of road traffic to bureaucrats in Brussels.

I think the situation in reality is that the EU effectively tells us to introduce regulations in certain situations e.g. tachographs in HGVs and that gets onto the statute book here, either by an Act of the Oireachtas or a Statutory Instrument (SI). But I don't think the EU can tell us what is and is not a mechanically propelled vehicle - that is a matter for domestic legislation.

regulation and type regulation of vehicles is handled at a european level in many ways. and not just vehicles, this is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a go on a mates one. Not legal by the 25 kmh rule. Stopped peddling lightly when it reached 38 kmh. Really dangerous if you aren't careful.

Same as a motorcycle really. More torque which can catch people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think it tops out somewhere around 40, but I didn't want to find out. But yeah, way more torque than a small engined bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,931 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So you are blaming the EU for something being illegal here while it's legal it most of the other EU countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Irish laws were updated to incorporate this categorisation last October. Pedelecs as you describe are legal here, though more powerful e-bikes remain 'mechanically propelled vehicles' and subject to all the same laws as typical motorcycles. The same legislation also legalised e-scooters within a similar performance envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Advertisement

There was no law passed. The expected law to deal with scooters has been repeatedly delayed.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-05-31/154/?highlight%5B0%5D=scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Was that legally bought in a shop here? Or perhaps modified after?

I know there are plenty of modified pedelecs on the roads, but they can’t be bought in the shop. Not sure how you’d stop anyone modifying them after though.

They are not illegal to buy. Just illegal to use on a public road or public space like a park.

I'm not 'blaming' the EU for anything, you have it completely upside down. I'm saying that the regulation of road traffic is a matter for domestic legislation.

but type approval makes sense at a european level. we don't - and shouldn't - have specific domestic regulations governing how cars are built, or what standards they're built to.

we have our own road traffic laws, because it makes sense to. we copy/follow europe on the big stuff that would not scale to here. until a few years ago, the law on PPVs was sensible enough because scooters didn't exist, and there wasn't really such a thing as an 'illegal' e-bike available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hope the department sorts this out soon because the so called electric bicycles are getting bigger and bigger. There are a few flying down the local footpath during school rush time with tires that could fit on a Harley Davidson. I will say they're great things once they're used in a safe way though. Anything to reduce traffic and fumes.

yeah, fiido recently came out with a fat tyre bike.

Yes, in theory it makes sense to harmonise the regulations across the EU. The problem is that practice (what the locals get up to) and enforcement (whether the local cops care) are not the same across the EU, especially when it comes to something like electric bikes and scooters. It's down to each country to regulate what mechanised vehicles you can and can not ride on public roads.

Each country sets their own limit for the amount of alcohol that's permissible when you drive an MPV, driver testing and licensing is also controlled by local regulations, ditto the rules of the road. Telling us that something is legal in xx countries counts for naught when it comes to road traffic regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That Garda mjust be one of the few in the country actually enforcing hte law. uk stats on collisions, serious injuries and death have escalated in the past 12 months.

Advertisement