Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men in the Housing Crisis

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If hes working hes probably earning too much to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

He can’t afford a one bedroom flat so that answers your doubt.

I think its a single person housing crisis. It seems whether you're male or female, trying to find accommodation that is not sharing as a single person is virtually impossible.

Sharing is fine when you're in your twenties, but when you're a bit older, you want your own space and a bit more security and stability.

Many people on single incomes just can't buy, either - earn too much for social housing, but not enough for a mortgage. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Advertisement

From the council obviously, we are having a slow day aren’t we.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

But he's a single male, so bottom of the list and underneath any incoming new people that aren't single males.

39, living at home with the parents. Failed mortgage, negative equity, no credit history, not earning enough to saved let alone get a loan for a mortgage so I've given up on owning, and even renting tbh. Speaking to my aunt who is renting, she has a deal with the landlord (she knows him) so she's paying €650 a month but maintains the property herself. The others don't maintain but they're paying €1100 a month. I can't afford that. I probably couldn't afford €650.

Asked a mate who's in his 20's, living with 3 lads. He's paying €400 for a room... I'm not paying that to live with people. So my only hope of every owning a home again is somehow winning the lotto and buying the parents house. They're leaving it in the will that for as long as I'm alive, I can live in the house but if I move out at any point, that's gone. Realistically, all it will take is for a sibling to have a bad financial time in the future and looking for their share, which I won't be able to give. And if one asks, the rest will ask... So I could be homeless yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

You accommodated infinite ukrainians without having to be asked, ladies and gentlemen!

And now we know what you're thinking, "how will this housing and affordability crisis be averted?"!

Well wonder no more, ladies and gentlemen, what you need is another 40,000 extra people too. You didn't know you wanted it, but your elected officials always know how to I̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ help you out!

like the poster says above "just get a council house". Just get in line behind all the extra help arriving into the country. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That Damien English is a posh paul Murphy

• Advertisement

You think the councils have houses for single men?!?

The local authorities do accept single people onto the housing lists (if they qualify) even if they don't have units to allocate them.

At least it means the applicant can apply for HAP, so its worth going through the motions.

But as far as I've seen, single people have a greater chance of being housed with Tuath or Cluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I also had to move home after the end of a relationship and I'm 40. I love how some people live in such a secure bubble that they would ask someone 'how could you possibly end up renting at 40?'

Well, imagine if you will, a land where you grow up in a single parent household where renting was all your family ever did, and home ownership was never explained to you. In fact, renting wasn't even explained to you but you eventually figured out how to scrape together a deposit for a room so you could move out at 19. And then work low paid jobs, finally go to college as a mature student graduate college into a recession, half the businesses in town boarded up, only option a 'jobbridge' internship (i did 2 of them!), wages ending up not any better than jobs you had before college.

Yeah, guess it's a bit mad I never managed to save 50k during all that!

My mother's house is a shared ownership scheme with the council. Once she passes on I imagine they will take it back and I'll be looking for a houseshare in my 50s that will be great craic.

Ive actually been looking for a flat to rent the last year and a half in the town i live in. There hasnt been a single 1 or 2 BR flat on daft that entire time!

There's a small piece of land on her late father's farm I could inherit from her, would be perfect to build a wee cabin on, i could probably get approved for a loan to build something like that, but you can't get planning permission for those.

Well and truly effed is what you are in this country as a single man looking for a roof over your head. I honestly would get the rope out before i go sharing with strangers at this stage of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

In the same boat here.

LL selling the house. I've gotten a few viewings on Daft, but seems every time I go there's a family with young kids also viewing the place.

No way a LL is going to turn away a couple with a baby or young child.

Fortunately, I've saved enough to buy a house, just waiting on mortgage approval now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Regardless of what he can or cant afford he might earn too much to even apply for a council home!!!

That poster is so detached from the reality of the situation regarding housing for single adult males that he thinks we’re back in the 60s when there were houses for everyone.

So you genuinely have never become aware that there’s a chronic shortage of local authority housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I know I'm a miserable bastard but I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that not bothering is the way to go with most things in modern society.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not some, it's the reality for almost all men in a marriage breakdown, especially if there are children involved.

It's really only exceptional cases where something else happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's entirely transparent what they're at.

They're doing the exact same thing across multiple threads and forums. Best not to take the bait.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Except these days you can't even find a shítty flat to end up in...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I realise mine is one of the exceptional cases, but they're not entirely unheard of. I also know two female Boardsies who not only left their exes in the marital home but are also paying maintenance to them.

There is a definite need for an overhaul of Irish family law, but there are cultural, traditional and generational reasons why it *generally* favours the woman and children in a traditional family breakdown situation. Those reasons are becoming increasingly outdated/less relevant but nobody ever accused the Irish judicial system of keeping pace with the times.

All of that is probably a conversation for another thread, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, banning bedsits left a gaping hole. There is a need for small, self contained, low cost units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭notAMember

The Ukrainians I've met are housed in my neighbours' spare rooms, and in temporary accommodation like the DP centers. Neither of those are an appropriate solution for single permanent residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eltoorock

They demolished the old flats in Charlemont St, Dublin 2 and built a new apartment block. 1-bed apartments are renting for €3k / month.

Advertisement