Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done your honour

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Must be good money in the translating game, I'd be thinking. Who gets the work and how are they assigned??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Public procurement tenders. For written translation, the going rate was around 10c a word, last time I was involved, but that’s more than 5 years ago.

Twice. Or was it three times. Maybe you’re mixing me up with the other posters who said the same thing in connection with European language speakers. It seems more than reasonable to apply the same logic to those who haven’t bothered to learn our native language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Accusations of racist prejudice don’t reflect well on someone who is supposed to show neutrality.

As said above: I can understand her frustration but it was not a wise decision to voice this publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

She's not wrong. From experience, these people suddenly forget the english they know when in certain situations. I can see her frustration here, he pleaded guilty so it shouldn't be needed really. But a racial slur it is not. An observation made out of frustration.

Do you think maybe certain situations require different levels of language skills to other situations?

I do. I agree completely. But these lads* suddenly become completely incapable of speaking even the most basic english in court, when talking to a Garda or security person. They even smile when you catch them because there's nothing can be done. All from personal experience, so probably slightly skewed.

*Gender neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

For speech translation (AKA interpreting), it’s €20-25 per hour for the actual interpreter. The translation agency gets the cream, i.e. about three times the amount, afaik (this is what I’ve heard or read somewhere, so don’t hold me to it). So that would mean each assignment is costing the public coffers around €100 per hour. Way too much, imo. But I deal with public facilities somewhat in my work and the amount of wastage that I see going on similar to that… let’s say it doesn’t surprise me. I sometimes get annoyed as there are some things I see that are really unfair on the taxpayer. No one seems to care one bit, though.

Let’s see if an almighty recession focuses the spending targets. Or if it’s just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Wouldnt surprise me if she had multiple events of this type and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. People gaming the legal system is as old as the system itself.

• Advertisement

How does their inability to speak the language, whether genuine or exaggerated, prevent the authorities from doing their jobs?

Though she’s remarkably quiet about the gravy train enjoyed by her former colleagues, the solicitors and barristers. Yeah sure, it’s the interpreters that are the problem.

It doesn't prevent, but it prolongs and increases the cost, all while preventing other people from getting assistance due to being tied up with someone who won't cooperate. The smile reference was to catching them speaking english, I should have clarified that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well it has pointed out here a few times in the general but there are some who only want to stay in thus case and scream SJW or stay out of court and you will be fine. These included the following

Victim of a crime

Witness of a crime

Statements to garda

Contracts for whatever like buying a house

There are probably more

Look the judge was frustrated and if she could make here statement again in a more professional way I say she would. Don't forget it not just foreigners who try this there has been numerous stories of Irish people trying to frustrate the Gardai by asking for Irish.

I always thought that applications for interpreter's or even free legal aid were given too freely. People seem to stay around there own people in an age profile and only learned the few phrases. Luckily I feel this is changing as kids of immigrants and Irish start to mix more because of school and other activities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I once had to retrieve the torn up passport,from the aircraft toilet tank, of a Chinese woman, who, when asked for the passport at immigration, claimed she'd lost it and stated that she wanted asylum and then refused to speak English/claimed she couldn't speak it. The cabin crew had discovered the stunt and called the police. We retrieved the document and cleaned it off and it was presented to her for comment. It turned out she had legally flown from Hong Kong to London and then boarded our aircraft to Dublin and she had no need to tear up her passport. She found her tongue soon after this was made known to her and magically resumed speaking fluent English. She was soon on a flight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Believe it or not there are some living in the UK 30 or 40 years & can't speak English. I agree that they should speak to language.

The judge is wrong to say what she said though. We all might want it to be a requirement of living here to learn the language but the fact is, it isn't a requirement. Even the example she gave is ridiculous. I can & do, buy alcohol or a shopping cart full of groceries without uttering a word in any language. I can do these basic things in any country in the world without knowing the language.

I totally get her point and I agree with it to some extent but her comments are wrong.

The cost of the interpreter is a very, very minor cost in the overall scale of costs happening in Court.

Funny how when someone comes on Boards looking for a way to weasel out of a speeding ticket, they get loads of tips and tricks about how to drag things out regardless of cost. I guess things are different if you're not Irish.

Well, they apparently don't speak english so can't ask.... And I wouldn't help anyone weasel out of a speeding ticket. There is literally no excuse for it. I don't agree with certain placements, but at the end of the day, if someone gets a speeding ticket then it's 100% their own fault for speeding.

My issue is that, from personal experience, the level of translation required in court for most of these people who suddenly can't speak english is basic. The state pay someone to tell them in their own language that they're basically being let off whatever it is, as seems to be the case with most convictions/outcomes these days. I'm not denying someone proper interpretation for proper cases. But most these people are up in court for simple thefts, public order, etc. They know enough english to plead guilty, which they eventually do via translator anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I went to school in the 70's with a Chinese chap who was only learning english, and only I met his parents in the 80's, the father had minimal english and the mother had zero, so in their case if a translator was needed for legal reasons, that wasn't their kids, I wouldn't see the issue, just because they are from anywhere else in the world why wouldn't they need help with translations?

21/25

On the one hand, it seems obvious that if someone needs an interpreter, they should pay themselves. But then innocent people end up in court and may not have the means. It must get annoying though if a known violent offender is in front of you whinging about not understanding.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

170 agencies combatting discrimination. Each with a CEO also I am sure. That's vastly more waste than the translation service

I vaguely remember Richard Bruton and Fine Gael promising a bonfire for unnecessary quangos. Whatever happened with that, sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

Normally, I wouldn't agree with judges decisions but in this case she was right. Next time he should understand the words' boot up d hole is what youre gonna get'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Everyone of them. You are nothing in the leafy lanes of South Dublin if your accountant hasn't set you and your spouse up as board members of a "charity" with a nice expense account and a leased BMW. And many of their neighbours are the civil servants handing out the grants for the latest important issue. Racism is the trendy one at the moment. Some of them may even be sort of genuine about the cause and not see it as just a tax dodge. Their housekeeper or cleaner might have told them stories about how rough life is for a migrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Indeed. Sums up the “charity” jet set. Usually can set the whole family up as “workers” too with salaries approaching €100k. Look at Pieta house.

This is an industry that’s really boomed in the past few decades. Before actual charities existed to do things for nothing. All you need is lots of neck and the right contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not quite and for the record this is the second time in this short thread that I have clarified the role of INAR.

Actually the INAR consists of member organisations many of whom have core aims which are the main focus of their work but they are also actively anti rascist in their ethos.

The members range from SIPTU and Age Action to The Irish Olympic Council.

Having an umbrella group like INAR helps to reduce duplication and is helpful in developing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Most Board Members of charities are serving in a voluntary capacity and are actually out of pocket for their service.

I don't know of any charity board members who avail of an expense account and a leased BMW on the account of said charities.

ALL charity board members are serving in a voluntary capacity. It is illegal for charity board members to be paid.

Which specific charities provide these nice expense accounts and leased BMWs to board members please?

Advertisement