Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done your honour

Options

Comments

The bit I like is "INAR, an umbrella group for 170 organisations committed to combating racism and discrimination, condemned the judge’s remarks."

Wonder how many of those 170 completely different organisations with completely different aims and ethos receive state funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

5 years and can’t speak the local language is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

A judge we can agree with!

well done for speaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wokeratti quangos rattled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You're watching too much US TV. Judges in Ireland are never referred to as 'your honour'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I can order a beer in many countries where English is not spoken. But I wouldn't want to appear as a defendant in a court of law there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was just thinking the same, K. Easy enough to say the one line in a relaxed setting but wouldn’t fancy having to sit through a day of “legalese” in a foreign tongue.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭victor8600

Not really, a guy may know enough English to buy "hooch" and to work side jobs in a warehouse or in construction. But he may find it difficult to understand what a judge says and to speak with any eloquence to make his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To an extent but if you find you don't need it why bother. Language learning does not come easy to some people, even their own language. Met some of our own in Germany who had barely a word after a decade and the south of Spain is full of expats with not a word. In the UK there are large chunks of that 1950s movement of Asian immigrants who never mastered it either. Yet all of them can function happily enough in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Do we really need 170 organisations to combat racism?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It doesn't take any fluency in a language to carry a 4 pack or bottle of vodka to the till and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I worked in France as a young man I had studied French for 5 years… and had an excellent working knowledge of the language….

Should be fluent, just hasn’t made the effort.

“Courts received 9,216 requests for interpreters last year compared to 7,513 in 2020. Court interpreters cost €1.5m in 2021 and €1m in 2020.” I’m reading…16,729 over a two year period.

so 22 requests per day….marvellous.

meanwhile we are closing rehab beds for physical rehabilitative treatments due to funding issues and staff shortages. What a country, what a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s entirely possible for someone to live in a foreign county and not learn the local language. Many of them will only engage within their own communities, which does not require them to adapt at all. Needless to say these will not be people working in high skilled jobs, or the ones having received a decent education.

I can understand why the judge would feel frustrated, but she should have kept her mouth shut and will likely regret her words.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had a Lithuanian friend during the boom , who while fluent in English, as well as Russian, German and of course Lithuanian, had sincere problems reading English. Maybe reading and not speaking/understanding English is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

“The court heard the defendant went behind the takeaway counter and punched a staff member several times in the face. Then he punched another man who tried to help the staff member. Sentencing in the case was adjourned.” - The man who did this is the victim, according to INAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I live in the Netherlands and have sufficient dutch to hold casual conversations and get by in everyday life. Not a hope in hell would i rely on my Dutch in a legal setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

This guy was engaging with more than his own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Interested to know how she is likely to regret her words.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I hope yer man is sent packing after he has served his sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Dont go assaulting people in Holland so ? just in case.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Many of them will only engage within their own communities...

I think jumping behind the counter of a takeaway and attacking two people could be described as engaging with more than your own little community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't. But buying a house required a translator. Getting married required a translator.

You can have perfectly good abilities to speak the local language but that doesn't mean it's good enough to deal with the legal system.

This guy is clearly in the wrong but the judges comments are more general and it's not only people charged that need translators in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Build an app to translate for them, I don’t think that all of them requesting an interpreter need one, and to be fair even those of us with fluent English don’t speak legalese, can we all get an interpreter free please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Of course, those requests will include victims and witnesses needing translation services too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I was reading about the ongoing Deliveroo murder charge case and one thing that came out is the testimony of one of the witnesses who claimed he saw a commotion and jogged up to see what's going on - where it transpired from evidence that he in fact sprinted to the scene. A local lad by all accounts and whilst one could argue that there's little difference between the two in this instance it makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I would imagine the judge will regret saying those things, if he is entitled to a translator there is not much you can do, unless you change his and every other immigrants rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

Eloquence to make his case 🤣 I'm sure he can say the word "Sorry" in English, what else is there to say? He's pleaded guilty ffs.

He didn't like the battered fish so he decided to batter the chipper.

Advertisement