Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal situation with traffic lights at on-path cycle lanes.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is another one on Bóthar Katharine Tynan with the junction to Fettercairn. A continuous cycle lane which is mostly on the footpath but reduces to road level at the junction...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kVKmE5VdfGLQEffp8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Regardless of the intent, the design is very poor. There's hardly room for a cyclist and a buggy to pass with the number of signposts and lamp posts on that pavement. Honestly, I'd say it's irresponsible for someone to cycle on that path as it would be difficult to do it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Of course it does. I see cyclists illegally cycling on footpaths every day. Half of them don’t realise it is an offence, the other half don’t give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I also think its shared space but the pedestrians have priority as after all it was originally a foot path... its an absolutely stupid design but thats not a big surprise...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's got nothing to do with this sign or design though. That's their own ignorance.

I see drivers going through reds and amber's everyday. Pedestrians cross were there not supposed to..joggers in cycle lanes.

There's a point when we have to accept personal responsibility for our poor behaviour and not blame design.

That sign indicates a shared lane. If anything it should do the opposite of what you say. You don't see that sign, it's not a shared lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know i'm like a stuck record mentioning this example, but this is a shared path, and fully bi-directional - in essence, it carries all foot traffic that might be heading past dublin airport to and from swords or other towns north of the airport - and is also a cycle lane which in theory caters for northbound and southbound cycle traffic on the same route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4324523,-6.22992,3a,75y,336.7h,74.73t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sj4sYFh-jcSrvQjr7DNqlhQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dj4sYFh-jcSrvQjr7DNqlhQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D41.862907%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The illegally parked van is the cherry on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Lights apply to the road if you move into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just as a FYI. the cycle path further down has had a upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What law is a pedestrian breaking if they walk in a cycle lane? The law is vehicles can't use cycle lanes nothing about pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I stop for this one because the lane is on the road, inside the width of the traffic light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I often wondered that here too, the cycle lights are sync'd with the pedestrian lights and not the traffic lights so you must dismount and walk around the fencing hit the button and walk back to your bike and wait for a green light to do it legally! I contacted the council about it and it's by design! It's one of the many "issues" with the cycle lanes in Maynooth.

I was asking in relation only to the pic in OP where for me the footpath is shared and part up to yield sign has bike lane...

If say a person wanders into bike lane or if a boke hits on footpath... Likely nice bill for DCC... looks crazy for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A bicycle is a 'vehicle' under the road traffic acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

How on earth did the council phrase that?

”I have to perform this mad, seemingly unnecessary dance to continue through this junction on a bicycle.”

”Yes, that was our intention.”

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

I would have thought it was obvious that the cycle track has a yield on it (the triangle) and beyond that the round blue sign shows shared cycletrack and footpath. The cycle path picks up again just past the junction and bus stop. Cyclists just have to slow down a bit here be mindful of the other footpath users and are then on their way again. They don't have to stop at the lights.The footpath is too narrow to have both a cycle track and footpath. So it's a good compromise.

The road beside it was a two lane dual carriage way originally. It is now too narrow bus lane and two driving lanes.

It was originally built about 1977 replacing a 1950s road. All things considered it's about as good as you are going to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In practical terms, I'd fully agree with you.

My question is whether the law takes this practical approach or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't say they were breaking a law but it's poor practice and shouldn't be done for the most part.

I dont think vehicles are allowed on footpaths is in OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I complained about several aspects of the junction, traffic light polls and ESB boxes left in the middle of the new bike lane and they just sent me a generic reply stating that it was designed to best practice, by qualified engineers following DMURS with no specific reference to any of the issues I highlighted.

• Advertisement

That post makes no sense to me... if you are cycling straight ahead you go with the traffic... why would you need get off the bike...

Also how do cyclists manage in other direction as i do not see any cycle route...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I just can't see how this is not understood. It has both signage and pavement markings.

Signage - clearly states shared space for pedestrians and cyclists. In a shared area you reduce speed and be extra vigilant for pedestrians.

Road marking - very clearly has a break on the forward line. That indicates you move though that line break to proceed ahead.

If the cyclist was to move into the bus lane, the lane would vere to the right with a yield sign at the end of the cycle lane and a sign with a line through a bicycle would be there instead of the sign that very very clearly shows a shared space.

My guess is because it has obstacles for a short period, it is not possible to have separate cycle and pedestrian delineation and that the separate cycle lane continues no long after the obstacles have been passed

And I'm not a cyclist

Btw - if a garda stopped you, I'd be suggesting to that garda to go back to templemore and learn the very basic principles behind road signage

The very fact that a bicycle is allowed to share the same space as a pedestrian is crazy... tor me the yield sign is pedestrians have priority and if footpath busy cyclists will have to walk until its safe...

I was talking to a guy a few years ago and he said a lot of our Irish roads were built for bikes by the brits 100 years ago when only a few of us had bicycles... He said for the last 50 years these same roads have trucks cars tractors and now the bicycles want to take the roads back for themselves.. This conversation in west of Irl...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^

There's nothing wrong with bicycles and pedestrians sharing the same space. In many contexts and countries it works. Context being important though. If you have a busy route used for commuters, you don't want it mixed. But leisure and tourists spots where people might pootle along at 15 km/h work perfectly fine in a shared model. After all, someone out for a run could collide with a pedestrian and easily do as much damage as a bike.

A more explicit separation of fast traffic from slow traffic is probably worthwhile though. Because some routes may have a mix of commuter and leisure traffic, like the Phoenix Park. Perhaps it should be made explicit through signage and education that shared spaces are intended for slow-moving bicycles and children and that if you wish to cycle faster you should use the road instead.

I have never seen a shared space where there is not either a cycle lane or a clear sign saying who has priority... i think this sign in OP is saying pedestrians have priority...

Its terrible we have a road sign and no-one knows absolutely for sure what it means...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I've never seen a road sign that says whether cyclists, cars, motorcycles, or trucks have priority. And a road is shared.

Similarly a path does not say whether a parent with a buggy or a wheelchair user has priority over another pedestrian.

Common sense though does tell you that you respect the other shared users, so I as a motorist will always give a cyclist or scooter a wide berth for safety. Similarly if I see a wheelchair or buggy coming on a path, I will move over as its easier for me to do so.

A cyclist, I would hope, would respect the pedestrian when on a shared path.

The problem with putting a sign up is that some of the persons who are then given the priority then acts like the gestapo with a selfish self-entitlement attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I used to commute on the N11, and tbh that section seemed to work fine. Cyclists slowed down, pedestrians were aware. It's just a lack of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maestroamado, you said: "I was talking to a guy a few years ago and he said a lot of our Irish roads were built for bikes by the brits 100 years ago when only a few of us had bicycles... He said for the last 50 years these same roads have trucks cars tractors and now the bicycles want to take the roads back for themselves".

Our roads were built originally for horses, rather than bikes, and well over 100 years ago in most cases. (Why would "the Brits" have built the roads for bikes if vey few of us had them?). Anyhow, this is largely irrelevant to contemporary road signage and its interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

I know that junction well, but I'm confused. What is the purpose of the cycle light on the far side of the junction (I assume that's the one you're referring to as it's the only one I can see).

I have seen quite a few of these lights around Dublin that serve no purpose at all that I can see (perhaps I'm just thick).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Follow the Street View link in tnegun's post, the 'cycle route' in the other direction is the footpath. Or at least it was the footpath, where cycling was dangerous and illegal, until they painted a bicycle icon on the footpath, and now cycling on the footpath is just fine.

Advertisement