Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone offering 2000Mbps

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Padmund

Heya yes thats what was available originally however just before Christmas they started offering 2gig on the NBI lines also - its very new, even the technical that came out had said he'd only seen a handful of them so far himself...

.... Now... that of course is assuming Vodafone isn't miss-selling / misadvising !

My cooling off period was the day that the engineer came - I'm confident enough though that as I logged the fault the day the router arrived that I could complain and wrangle my way out of it or at least just go back to the 1 gig plan if the 2 isn't available.

I might check with blacknight out of curiosity to see what thry say about available NBI speeds here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Interesting! If you don't mind me asking, what were they charging for the 2gbps?

yea its 70e a month for the 2 gig compared to the 45e a month for the 1 gig but I just searched the eircode here again and its bringing up some offers at the moment too:

Further update from vodafone is that they say my line isn't available for 2 gig.

I've asked them why the eircodes in this area are showing 2 gig available and why their sales team told me I could upgrade to it - but its like talking to a brick wall.

I'm going to log a formal complaint at this stage as I logged the issue on day 1 of getting the hardware within the cooling off period, and then see if I can go to blacknight or ANYONE other than vodafone at this stage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

If 1Gbps is the max the line will actually take and they let you out of contract I'd look at Digiweb. Their customer service is excellent, technical support is excellent and in my mind the Fritzbox is better than the Vodafone Gigabox (1Gbps) kit, I haven't used the 2Gbps VF modem so don't know how good that is. I would immediately ask for a manager and request they release you from contract and then follow up with a complaint

The line will go up to 10gbps as all NBI ONTs support it technically.

I think there may be some confusion on the the sales teams side though. I check my Eircode and while I can only get a 1gbps personal package, I can also get a business package up to 2gbps.

So if you really want the 2gbps and you don't mind paying extra, ask them if you can open a business account instead?

honestly you’d be better off just staying with a consumer plan or trying someone else.

UPDATE!

So, I finally managed to get a manager callback today - and it turns out, the exact thing I highlighted to the on my very first call to them - was in fact correct and what has been causing the issue. When I initially spoke with Tech Support I asked them is it possible that a setting on their side was limiting the speed coming through to me - and they said no, I was on the correct 2gig package and all should work. I pushed them further asking though if theres a further way for them to limit speed on a connection like there is on copper wire etc. Anyway they said no again that once I was on the right plan thats all that was needed.

Today - the manager rings me and low and behold, he explains that I was correct all along, in addition to changing the plan there is another portal internally that is specifically for NBI that has 3 tiers of speed and that my speed tier within the NBI portal had not been updated from the premium (1 gig) to the Elite (ie 2000mbs ) package on NBI's side and this is what was causing the issue. He updated it there and then for me instantly.

So I give you ... my 2gig NBI connection !!

NEVER GIVE UP lol

And these are the base offerings from NBI currently:

Post edited by Padmund on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

I like the sound of High Speed Broadband Business Enterprise... Im on a business link with Blacknight (2Gb/s, 200Mb) but getting an extra 200Mb/s up would be nice... Anyone know of any providers doing that speed?

When i put in my EirCode, it shows me speeds upto 2Gb down, but no mention of up... So, it might be that 400Mb is only available on SIRO? OpenEir might not have that enabled...

Heya no the table above is specifically NBI only, if its an enterprise plan offering 2gig down it should then be the 400up - they've had that business plan around for a good bit longer than the consumer / residential plan so all should be hunky dory - the speed banding are set by NBI themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Genuine question, if you just a standard enough household, maybe 5 people, are you really going to notice any difference at all going from 500meg to 1gb or 2gb?

For a standard house, no.

The highest quality video stream from any of the streamers is about 40mbps (Apple), so you'd need 12 people streaming 4k videos from Apple TV+ to saturate the 500meg package.

The only time you'd all benefit from the higher speeds is if you were all avid gamers and were all trying to download massive games at the same time, and even then, the savings would be in the order of minutes, not hours, and that would only be for the once-off install.

very fair - and probably not right now - but I moreso see it as future proofing for the coming years for myself, whilst I do some work with large files the one gig probably would have been more than enough - right now its more a novelty of being able to stream 8K without any lag, given that prior to NBI our speed was 12mb on a good day via satellite type connection which was constantly dropping.

NBI has honestly been such a godsend for rural areas, its unreal to think in the backarse of a field in rural Sligo we can have 2gig connection. Next plan is to get the wiring & switch throughout the house upgraded so all the rooms can have their own ethernet - the thick concrete walls don't play nicely with the wifi - so currently using mesh system.

anyhow - sure sitting running speedtests is my new favourite past time lol

for standard house, probably not... Xbox games will come down in around half the time going from 500mb/s to 1Gb, but 2Gb wont make a difference given the Xbox only has a 1Gb port. Same with PS and PC Games (unless your PC has a 2.5gb link...). streaming wont make much of a difference either. Uploads are going to double though, so backups or uploads to Dropbox/One Drive, etc, will be faster. For me, I backup a LOT of stuff to different locations, plus Video editing and backups of 8K Video footage, along with RAW Photos, etc... uploads are more important than down. If a provider gave 1Gb symmetrical, i would swap my 2Gb down link to 1Gb symmetrical any day! But, again, that is me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The improved upload speed would be of more use to me. I'd have no real issue with 500Mb down, but 50 up is a bit too low for me. I used to have SIRO at 1000/200 in my old place but only have 1000/100 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KubaKLucan

have any of you that recently signed up to 2gb actually been issued a gigabox+ modem? i signed up about a month ago and they gave me a regular gigabox. now sure i use my own router (udm pro) so i dont care about the wifi 6 on the gigabox+ only really to use it as a modem to offload all the pppoe stuff to the vf modem. as far as i can tell they removed everything about the gigabox+ from their website other than a support page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ciferos

Yes, I got a Gigabox plus - the technician ran to the van and was excited to deploy it, I only get 950down and 225up, though.

(I pre ordered this on NBI ages ago now they won’t sell the 2GB line anymore !)

Did you do that test via an ethernet connection directly to one of the Gigabox+ 10Gbe ports, and was your client also using a 2.5gbe+ port?

yes, tested with an Ethernet cable on my laptop directly connected to the Gigabox plus, don’t think my laptop has a 2.5gbe plus port, but the speed should surpass 1gb on WiFi.
    having a separate issue though at the moment, they didn’t bury the cable properly so the speed issues will be addressed later.

Strange that the upload is at 225, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

NBI overprovision the connection so you can get a bit higher than the rated speed.

Very few devices are going to get you full Gig (or more) over Wifi… Wifi 6E or 7 might do it, but looks like the Gigabox is 6, not 6E (limited to 5Gz, not the 6e required 6Gz bands).

As I am using an Orbi Mesh system, it looks like that was the problem, re speeds and other disconnection issues.

Just connected (wireless) to the Gigabox Plus and the speeds have improved!

Very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Robertr

Actually was just chatting to Vodafone, as our estate are going live with FTTH in a few weeks. They mentioned that for a wired connection over 1GBs you need to buy a small form-factor pluggable transceiver (SFP) for €75. WiFi is fine, this is just for wired. Does that make sense?

yes, I have read that as well, but only using WiFi so never saw a need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

According to the user guide https://n.vodafone.ie/content/dam/gowingmyself/pdfs/GigaboxPlus-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf you need the SFP transceiver if you want to free up the 10GB Ethernet port to be used for the LAN rather than WAN. If you don't use it, then any Ethernet LAN connections will be limited to the 4 1GB ports

• Advertisement
Advertisement