Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone offering 2000Mbps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

In regards to wifi with this 2gb package (with a note 10 plus so wifi 6) mine is 859mb down standing right beside the gigabox+...good/bad?

I'd assume this is pretty average speed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It supports Wifi 6 alright, but practically Wifi 6 tops around 800-900mbps for most mobile clients. Wifi 6E can get slightly higher speeds, and Wifi 7 faster again. Only a small handful of phones support 6E and fewer still support Wifi 7

@laneooo your speeds are about where they should be for the package and how far you are from the device. No worries

Thanks, was just wondering....I assumed 900ish would be right.

Hmmm I just tested my PC with a Wifi 6E card....

Just thought I'd post if anyone was wondering what to expect. I'm not up to date with a lot of stuff but 1400mbs via wifi seems really high to me...anyway thanks

What's the model of the phone and Wifi 6E card you're using?

A lot of the variance in speed will likely come down to the MU-MIMO antenna configuration of both.

You likely have a 2x2 mobile device and a 4x4 Wifi 6E card. That's the most likely explanation for the discrepancy in speed.

• Advertisement

Oh well yeah I don't mind the discrepancy speed 900mbs is more than enough for me in terms of wifi. PC will be wired when my switch comes but just thought I'd see what happens if I used my 6E card and was kinda thinking to myself if the gigabox+ is wifi 6E compatible ( probably not, can't seem to find any detailed specs about the gigabox+ other than "Wifi 6" but knowing vodafone... highly doubtful)

Wifi card is "Ubit WiFi 6E AX210"and phone is Note 10 plus.

Overall I'm very happy with signal throughout the house with the gigabox+ anyway. I did have to manually split the wifi channels though, out of the box the wifi just wouldn't work for some reason (constant dropping/disconnects).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s the craic with the Vodaphone setup? 

What hardware do you get? 

I’ve had virgin media since it was cable link and haven’t changed but have always contacted them looking for a discount. 

I don’t want to bother with that this year so I’m looking at alternatives. 

I don’t have an eir line into the house and I presume vodaphone comes in via 5g or whatever? 

We’ve two working from home and on top of that two kids with iPads so I wonder would the vodaphone setup be as reliable as virgin, and have comparable speeds?

edit- disregard this question I’ve just checked what fibre BB is available at my location and it’s virgin media only!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Check siro.ie and enter your eircode for possible alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I have and there are no alternatives.

I also checked switcher.ie and same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Just got an email saying sky is available at 1gb and upon searching its seems Vodafone are too. Like the poster above Ive only been with Virgin but 89 is a bit steep for the 1gb. I would be looking to change and save a few bob but only if its a reliable service. Im a vodafone mobile customer for a few years too I wonder would that count for anything regarding discounts etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Padmund

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone can help me - just had my BB upgraded from 1gig to 2gig from Vodafone but still only getting 1gig speeds via LAN.

My setup is:

The ethernet coming from the NBI box going into the SFP+ module in the Gigabox+ from Vodafone.

A CAT8 cable running from the 10gig lan port on the Gigabox+ into a 2.5gig usbc ethernet adapter on my computer.

I feel like it should be straight forward - I understand the other LANS would be capped at 1000mbs - but shouldn't the 10gig port on the Gigabox+ going into a 2.5gig port support me getting the near full speed on the computer?

(I did also try putting the NBI box ethernet into the 10gig wan/ lan port instead, and then my cat8 from the sfp to my computer but that seemed a no go also)

Many thanks,

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Check the network adapter settings in Device Manager - is "Speed & Duplex" set to Auto Negotiation or 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex?

If the laptop adapter is Auto, then check the port on the 10 Gbps switch and see what it is set to.

If it is saying 10 Gbps ... then change the cable.

Also update the drivers. 99% of the USBC-Ethernet 2.5G devices are powered by Realtek chips. Grab the latest driver relevant to your operating system here:

And make sure your adaptor is plugged into a USB 3.0+ port.

Thanks guys I appreciate the reply.

The 10gig port is the one of the Vodafone supplied modem itself so I cant see a way to check if theres a way to see if its limiting speed. Only thing perhaps I can see is it referencing 'Physical Interface10G Ethernet SFP' (the device is SPF+ for 30meters)

I run the latest driver from above and checked the usbc's settings - these are plugged into a Mac Mini M2 (only few months old) which was USBC3 and above only port wise.

Cable wise its all Cat7 or Cat8 I've been testing it with.

I rang Vodafone and after 45 minutes they gave up and said they would send an engineer but the tech support sounded deflated and like they just wanted to go - so I hope I do actually get an engineer out - they said id get a call the next say but alas nothing yet (obvs its chrimbo so that might delay it but this was end of last week)

LAN aside, even with a wifi6 enabled device connected to the box (which is also wifi6) I'm only getting pretty much what I would have gotten on the old 1gig line also - so its making me think is it possibly something to do with the line / Gigabox+

Not sure how long I'll be waiting for an engineer - and I know this is totally first world problems 1gig is more than enough for anything currently - its moreso I'm a nerd, and the principle that I'm paying for something and should be getting that service etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm pretty sure that box only negotiates 1gig or 10gig which is not uncommon. So a 2.5gig adapter is only going to connect at 1gig.

Whats even worse is that tech support couldn't tell you that.

Hey thanks for this - so how would one go about getting the actual 2gig speed? Or might there be another workaround do you think.

I just had the engineer here (KN Group) and he replaced the box but exact same result, I think the poor lad knew less about the 2gig that I did - so he said get back onto vodafone again, have just done that so will see what happens now.

Such a shame - like I know it'll be grand I can happily live with the 1gig no problem - but moreso, why advertise the 2 gig and provide 2 gig hardware if it dont work out of the box like it should.

Again, even using wifi 6 device with the box I'm still only getting the same speed with as I was on the 1 gig line also -.

Can’t seem to avail of 2GB down my way even though it was initially launched in 2022… I’ve had SIRO since 2020.

surely doesn’t take that long to upgrade to 2GB?

Get a 10gig adaptor(think it has to be thunderbolt) or a switch with 2.5gig ports + a 10gig uplink to the vodafone box.

In reality, its a waste of money unless you have a specific use case or real need for that the other gig and most people don't. You would be better off downgrading the line and saving money if thats a option.

And they advertise the big number because people pay for for the big number. And it really doesn't cost them anything, more bandwidth doesn't usually result in high usage.

To say Vodafone are lacking specifics on the Gigabox+ would be a understatement but I retract my earlier statement. I just checked on a macbook and switch here and if it shows 2500 base-t on the connection in OSX, then its successful connected at 2.5gigs. You can rule out the machine and its link to the router.

"My setup is:

The ethernet coming from the NBI box going into the SFP+ module in the Gigabox+ from Vodafone.

A CAT8 cable running from the 10gig lan port on the Gigabox+ into a 2.5gig usbc ethernet adapter on my computer."

So its NBI box <-- Ethernet cable --> SFP+ module --> Gigabox+ ? Are they beside each other? Forgive my ignorance but I havn't seen this setup in person and all it would take is one device to link at 1gig to cause this problem.

Usually depending on vendor, the link lights will give you a indication of the negotiated speed if the Vodafone box doesn't. You would want to confirm that link is not just 1gig. At that point, its on vodafone.

• Advertisement

What's interesting above is that Vodafone are recommending matching speeds between the SFP module and the client device, which seems to suggest that the LAN should be using the SFP, and not the dedicated 10Gbe port elsewhere on the Gigabox+

They mentioned this elsewhere on their site:

In order to be able to get 2GB speeds on a wired connection, you will need to purchase a Small Form Factor Pluggable (SFP) from here for €75. The SFP will be shipped to your address where you can plug it in and receive 2GB speed. Without the SFP, you will not receive 2GB speeds. Customers who use a wired connection and want to achieve speeds above 1,000Mbps on our Gigabit 2000 Fibre Broadband product, must have a small form-factor pluggable transceiver (SFP). This is required for wired connections only, if using WiFi connection, you can receive speeds up to 1.6GB and do not need to purchase an SFP.

Might be worth connecting the NBI box to the 10Gbe WAN/LAN port, and connecting your laptop to the SFP port to see what happens.

Another thing worth testing is connecting your laptop directly to the NBI ethernet port. Even if the internet doesn't work (without configuring the VLAN on your laptop), you should at least be able to see what speed is auto-negotiated with the NBI box. It should be 2.5 Gbps (NBI will auto-negotiate up to 10gbe). If your laptop cannot connect to the NBI box at 2.5gbe speeds, then it suggests there might be an issue with the NBI ONT itself.

Heya yes thats correct, they are all right beside each other with 1m or so Cat7 / Cat8 cable (which i've swapped out to rule out also). And yea my thoughts too were moreso the speed coming in only maxing at 1gig for some reason.

Thanks for this.

Yes I tested the NBI -> SFP+ and also NBI -> 10GIG WAN/LAN port and the results were the same, and wifi wise as they mentioned should be able to get upto 1.6 but still only maxing at about 600 on a wifi 6 device which is similar to before upgrading.

I have no however checked your suggestion of connect the NBI ethernet connection directly through to the computer - I'll give that a go over the weekend to see what the craic is.

Overall very disappointed with Vodafones care, now almost 2 weeks since issue logged with them. Interestingly the last person in tech support on Tuesday who I spoke with said that this was a known issue to him, and the only step they had was to escalate to their tier 2 tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm not sure if you're within cooling off but could you try another provider who has 2GB? I think Blacknight do it but not sure who else. Vodafone care are polite but trying to get anything resolved or meaningful support is like pulling teeth with them.

Actually, I don't know how I didn't cop this before, but you mentioned you had an NBI ONT right?

Vodafone don't offer 2gbps packages on NBI, only on Siro (and possibly via OpenEir - that I'm aware). Their NBI packages are 500/1000 on NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7pW2Pz2h10

Since you're using Cat 8 I thought I'd share this, it suggests that some Cat 8 is fake so the cabling could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

These internet companies are acting like a cartel with their pricing models. (CPI +3%)

Lads I’m thinking about switching to BlackKnight 2gb. I think I need to sort out my own router though.

Any suggestions? Cheers

Ideally you want a router with 2 x 2.5+gbps ports (WAN + LAN). If you have more than 1 device in your home with a 2.5gbps+ port, then buy a small 4/8-port 2.5gbps switch.

If money is no object......get a wifi 7 mesh.

Do you really need 2gbps?

• Advertisement

Thanks I’ll take a check around see what I can find.

Yes I do.

Advertisement