Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare recipients can earn €14k by renting a room

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You can keep whatever SW payment you are getting if you rent a room out in your house and the rent you charge is less than €270 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quay_Koncept

Thanks "all in all" and "tootired", last question I promise, I am thinking of doing this for the summer months to help pay off some bills I owe, am I best to include utility bills or separate or does it even make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

If it’s for the summer months I would include bills in whatever you charge. Just try to get a rough estimate of how much your bills will increase, so you know what will be your net income.

It should really be just the electric that increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If a council tenant rents out a room, welfare and taxes up to €14k are disregarded. But who does the roomee pay the rent to? The Occupier or the Council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The tenant. The tenant is obliged to inform the LA that the makeup of the household has changed.

The LA will send a “Review” form in the post. This will ask the tenant who is now living there and ask the tenant to provide evidence of the new household members weekly income.

The weekly household contribution to the rent will then be adjusted to reflect the change in the weekly income coming into the house.

It’s then up to the tenant to sort this out with the “sub tenant”.

If there’s any issue about this between the tenant and the sub tenant then the LA won’t get involved but will still expect the new revised rent to be honoured.

How the utility bills including the rent, bins, household wear and tear etc is not the business of the LA either.

Post edited by TooTired123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quay_Koncept

Im curious the lad renting my room is wondering if his friend can move in and they will split the rent which is fine for me, so I will increase the rent accordingly to cover wear and tear (keeping it under the 14K of course). I looked at all the info on this scheme and it does not say the amount of people allowed in the room?

Can you have more then 1 person in the one room your renting out?

What about if you rent 2 rooms in your house but keep the rent under 14k?

Advertisement