Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare recipients can earn €14k by renting a room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

I see no reason why they couldn’t room share and potentially earn 56k. Win win for the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How will this work when a licencee in a rental can apply to be a tenant once there is a part 4 tenancy and the landlord can't reasonably refuse? I can see a lot more people becoming social welfare tenants from this, why pay €1k per month for a room when you can pay a set percentage of your income instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How long does a licencee need to be situ before being able to apply for full tenancy

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Part 4 doesn't apply to social housing, those in council houses will still have to inform the council of new people living in the property. Rent review will be done based on household income. Council and social welfare are separate , council rules will still apply. The same will apply for AHB.

Some social welfare recipients own thier own property, normal licencee arrangements will happen there.

There may be an issue with HAP and rent allowance social welfare tentants. So good point on that front , another headache for private landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 23,611 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I disagree with this move, as it allows welfare recipients/pensioners/etc to receive more passive unearned tax-free income purely because they have a spare room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

So basically you can take in a lodger get paid and have free housekeeper...

Government better than any dating site....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The tens of thousands who've had welfare cuts because of a tiny rise in incomes or their wife earns a bit more etc will be disgusted and rightly so. I hate this country sometimes. FG need to **** off. And that Humphries makes me sick at the sight of her.

Regarding pensioners those on the contributionary pension who owe thier own home or have a council/AHB house can do this already without penalty from the social welfare. It has an affect for those on the non contributionary pension in that they won't be means assessed.

I don't begrudge them at all. I know a few pensioners in large council houses who have actively been in contact with the council to downsize them to small houses but the council have no suitable stock. There's a huge amount of 3 and 4 bed council houses with one or two over 65's living there. IMHO we should be more concerned about that issue.

The only welfare recipients this actually really affects are those on "allowance" payments such as disability allowance but those numbers are small, the big one is Jobseekers allowance. All welfare recipients on "Benefit" payments are not means assessed.

The big issue here is for the private landlords of those "allowance" welfare recipients on HAP, RAS or rent allowance. While those tenants could previously sublet a room (if not forbidden by the rental agreement) they probably wouldn't do so because loosing money from thier welfare payment.

However rent allowance is basically a thing of the past replaced by HAP and RAS. These schemes are administered by the local council and not the DEASP (welfare) There may be a financial impact reducing the RAS or HAP payment because of the increase of household income. The same council rules on income should apply here regardless of the social welfare change of policy. So TBH the incentive may not be all that good as you may think.

TBH the announcement sounds like the government half arsed attempt of trying to tackle 2 issues , housing and inflation rises for social welfare low income earners. It gives the latter an option of getting more money. The reality is most already had that option and didn't choose to take it, they probably won't now so it's affect on housing is probably going to be next to zero. But the government can say , look at what we did to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

?????

Licencee has no right to a tenancy agreement under any conditions as long as they are a legitimate licencee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Great little country, give up the job, go on the dole & housing waiting list. Rent out a few rooms in said house, get tax free up to 14k where normal landlords have to pay up to 50% on rental income. Sure why would one bother working at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have the right to be added as a tenant after six months, when the property itself is being rented and they are renting from that tenant.

Hence why most landlords outright refuse to let tenants have lodgers.

It can when the room is sublet by an individual who rents the entire house from a landlord.

The sublet licencee can seek part4 from the original landlord.

However most landlords forbid subletting and this also doesn't apply to social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ok. I misunderstood.

In that case the "new" tenant is merely attaining the same status as the other tenants which is only fair. It isn't the case that you, as owner, could have a legitimate licence agreement, say with someone in your own house, and then be stuck with the person.

To do otherwise would mean that a landlord could simply have a "paper tenant" and have all actual tenants stuck forever on fake licence agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I cannot see the harm in this, giving lower income people greater financial autonomy, and it will do a little bit to alleviate a crisis created by recent governments. This includes not building social housing to any useful degree, their banning of bedsits, tax privileges for foreign property investors whose developments end up grabbing available land for construction, a shoddy, incompetently operated (ie RTB whose website is shoddy even by the usual low standards of the Irish state) private rental régime, with legislation effectively blocking eviction of the most anti-social tenants possible (people other tenants and neighbours fear), and means a cut in income each year of c. over 5% with associated tax penalties. This results in more and more small time landlords (ofttimes Irish emigrants who have to work abroad or pensioners who invested the fruits of their hard work) just selling up. Finally this government has refugee commitments far beyond their very limited skill set or what this country can or should do.

I return to the first point on social housing. When this country was far poorer (see below), great numbers of high quality houses were built for tenement dwellers with huge families and new families needing homes. 5202 were built last year, which compares badly to c. 8400 on average between 1948 and 1962, exceeding private builds. People were net emigrating, the population was notably smaller. Nowadays the criteria for allocating local authority social housing is far from objective (foreign nationals with families and 'leave to remain' pushing aside Irish people is how it is working out and overwhelmingly the homeless are Irish). It means Irish citizens with families are not helped first of all. While it might sounds fascist to some, but poorer Irish people should be housed first. Someone who thinks otherwise is not reasonable.

Meh, just annoying. All the political class wants to do is spoof about woke nonsense. This measure is objectively good. Whatever helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The legislation says when a Part 4 lease is active, a licencee can't get a part 4 lease so it's when the tenant is in for 6 months. The licencee can be added to the lease as soon as they move in to a property with a Part 4 lease

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Is this 14k Rent a Room scheme extension to means tested SW recipients still a Heather Humphries attention getter or has it been signed into existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's essentially virtue signalling nonsense, few if any SW recepients in a position to rent out a room, basically intended to get more accommodation availability because of serious lack of it and allows SW recepients earn up to €14k in rent, under very strict conditions, without this income impacting their SW payment. It has been implemented but like everything Heather says and does, it's not straightforward. SW recipients in receipt of certain payments are still subject to means testing and reviews and of course whilst the concept is intended not to effect SW recepients payments, inevitably there'll be problems, confusion and people inadvertently penalised despite what the minister says.

The question most people will ask, is it worth the Hassle.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You say it has been implemented? You wouldn't have an approx date that was done? Thanks

Morning, there was cabinet approval around 19th of May and she was to sign off on it shortly after. I don't have a specific date for that, some info attached but I'm not aware of any delays etc.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that stuff. An announcement was made of Cabinet approval and the Minister was due to sign regs. It seems that has not yet been done.

• Advertisement

You maybe correct, as it didn't really need legislation (open to correction) and is a temporary measure, I'd have assumed it was implemented immediately, so I may be incorrect, but as I mentioned, nothing Heather Humphries says or Does is ever straightforward 😉

There's a lot of stuff bering rushed through over the past two weeks (typical) before Dail goes into recess, if it did need a vote but I don't believe it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...again, just the build the fcuking properties, and stop fcuking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quay_Koncept

Last post was error it reffered to fuel allowance, in any event it does seem that Fuel allowance may be stopped if your lodger is not on any SWP. The scheme is live now!

Rent a Room is exempt from Fuel Allowance means

Thanks Zell The following is on citizens information which seems to suggest the lodger must also be on SWP or be entitltled to fuel allowance in their own right if the owner wants to avail of fuel allowance. Cant post link so heres attachment.

Well, it comes up again

ministers also agreed that "if someone rents out a room in their house, it won't affect their social welfare entitlements or medical card entitlements". He said it was open to Local Authority tenancies as well. https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0321/1365546-politics-government-measures-renters-housing-evictions/

I was just checking the small print on this scheme and it appears that the person to whom the room is rented to must be on a social welfare payment. So for instance you are not allowed take in a college student or someone in full time employment. That was never mentioned in any of the press releases at all.

"The person renting the room from you must also be getting a qualifying social welfare payment or must qualify for a Fuel Allowance in their own right. See the rules about living alone above."

If a person is on Jobseekers Allowance & works part-time say 16 hours total over 2 days a week does this scheme still apply? Doesn't mention anywhere online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

That is only if the person receiving the rent is getting fuel allowance, and wants to keep it.

You an rent the room to anyone without it affecting your core welfare payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No. You can rent the room to anyone you like and keep your core SW payment as long as the rent you charge is less then €270 a week.

But if you (the householder) are in receipt of Fuel Allowance and your licensee (the person renting the room) is not on a SW payment with fuel allowance attached or qualified then you (the householder) may lose your fuel allowance.

Advertisement