Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Whether you agree with him or not, he's contributed a lot to this forum for many years. I think even those who clash with glasso frequently would still respect his analysis of the game.

What's actually odd are the people who have been banned from boards so many times that they have to create new accounts almost every month but keep returning like pathetic cockroaches purely for trolling purposes and know next to nothing about the sport!

(And I'm not talking about the hector guy who is a bit of a laugh generally)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

Happy Birthday to Nadal, he turned 36 today. Most people thought he'd be finished at the top of the game by his late twenties due to the intensity of his game and the stress on his body. He proved all the doubters wrong, fair play to him, he's a great role model.

Hope that's a good match in the final and Gauff does deserve recognition for steady progress in a balanced manner

There was a huge media Circus around her initially and that seems to have been navigated well in the end.

Haven't watched her recently tbh but will take a look at the final

Swiatek could do with a worthy opponent obviously to bring interest even if Gauff might not be there yet

It's an important game for women's tennis

(edit even if I wouldn't think Gauff has the game yet to beat Swiatek's streak - don't want to see a bad beating tho)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Would like to see Zverev maintain his performance from the Alcaraz match to produce a good contest but obviously he doesn't have a strong history of successive performances.

He has beaten Nadal on clay but it was in the altitude of Madrid last year.

His serve plus one game was very good against Alcaraz (who wasn't at his best of course particularly in the first 2 sets) and that will really need that to be there today to give him a chance. He's good at winning short points. A high first serve in % is pretty much required to make a go of it particularly as he's known to be flaky on the second serve.

His backhand is one of the stronger shots on the the tour also and pretty reliable so Nadal won't be doing a Berrettini on him.

What sort of success he can get out of Nadal's second serve could be a key factor. Djokovic was pretty poor at getting good mileage there the other night (along with his own second serve being very pedestrian and proving very damaging to his outcome)

Ruud is a tough watch and Cilic's game is not the most attractive either so not holding up too many hopes of the Cilic match being a classic but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone going with the upset today?

minor upset if Zverev wins I feel.

Nadal is obviously difficult to beat at RG and will have the crowd on his side, especially if he goes behind at any point but I think that Zverev has a chance.

I didn't think that Nadal was "amazing" against Djokovic as he didn't have to be really.

Zverev has the tools to win if he's firing as he's shown before.

Against Alcaraz he even got the master drop-shotter Alcaraz with his own medicine.

You just don't know whether he will have them on display on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭sxt

Zverev has beaten nadal 3 out of last 4 times . It's not a final . An upset could be on the cards

Any stat vs Nadal must consider surface though

Hardcourt indoor over 3 sets where 2 of those wins have come is easily Zverev's best competition situation and is definitely not Nadal's (e.g. in all his career he has never won the ATP finals despite being there something like 15 times)

Even on clay where Zverev beat Nadal in Madrid last year, that's at altitude where Nadal's game is less effective than at RG (and it's 5 sets)

As I said he has a chance if he turns up and manages to keep points short but the recent head-to-head is not hugely informative in this case imo

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Augme

You'd always worry about Zverev ability to close out a major match. That's the big question make over him here. Also will be interesting to see how Nadal body holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hawley

Nadal really looks injured here. Zverev should win this one.

I think Nadal is looking a bit goosed physically. He has got to pray those pain killers kick in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hawley

Never seen him drag his foot as much. He trying to keep it off the ground between points. Impossible to see him winning in this condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

The only way I can Zverev winning today is if the foot is at the other lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Zverev! Hope he can keep this up!

I backed him at the USO and AO. Would be trolling me here as I never thought the French was a possibility. Wouldn't care though.

Zvervevs lack of bottle is really quite exceptional.

Ah lads stop, he's the greatest whinger in the biz. He and his team always have an excuse ready.

Nadal loses a service game -> It must be the foot!

Zverev simply had a great start serving well and hitting winners but has really tightened up, has started producing mishits and his FS% has gone down.

You'd think that Zverev has to win the first set to have a chance of taking the match.

Nadal's "extra towel rub" on the break points are not very sporting

Super volley

• Advertisement

UEs hurting Zverev

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Was dreading Trevisan winning that semi final. The last things the tour needed was Iga massacring someone in a final or even if somehow Trevisan had won who then would have probably vanished for 12 months until next year's French.

Hopefully Coco can push Iga tomorrow, the tour desperately needs some sort of rivalry for interest .

Serious hitting from Zverev

Holy effing jaysus!!!!

Zverev bottle job on that last point. Whole court to use and hands set to Nadal

Good tie-break - Nadal did raise his game.

Zverev almost stayed with him but Nadal guessed right and got the pass for the set

A test for Zverev now - tough to lose that set - the odds are very much against him now

Zverev finally makes a comment to the umpire about the time aspect - Nadal is very trying of other players' patience throughout it has to be said

Some of those winners by Nadal though. He summoned the spirit of the tennis God Federer for at least one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Zverev a player who always flatters to deceive. Caved again when the pressure was applied. A player who will ultimately amount to little over his career, relative to the hype once surrounding him

• Advertisement

How the **** can you lose a set 6-2 up? 😂 "Injured" Nadal was very good to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement