Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 1x01 - 'Strange New Worlds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m so happy that i came here to tell you all that i loved it and I’ve found almost everyone agreeing.

I just can’t fault it so far. Here’s my thoughts…

• Opening credits are great. It fits in with TNG, DS9, VOY type credits. Loved it.

• The style of the clothes, hair, colourful sets are delightful to see. We know the show isn’t in the 1960’s so they need to update the look but it just feels nicely connected to TOS.

• I’m liking all the crew so far. Chapel could be fun or slightly annoying but I think she seems confident with a bit of flirty geeky charm to her. Spock is brilliant. Pike is just so good. La’an is the spit of Camina Drummer. She’s interesting and one to watch.

• The plot was good. Wasn’t overly happy with the Jan 6th stuff just because it’s too US centric. I was happy however that Pikes speech didn’t turn into an emotional train wreck of a speech ala Burnham where she whisper cries at people.

• Pike has hopefully resolved his immediate mortality crisis. I think they gave the issue enough importance and also gave it a plausible way to fade into the background.

• The preview of the upcoming season fills me with hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

almost time for a new episode!!! - dont recall seeing a Modern Trek Thread this positive in a long time

Long may it continue -

Ladies and gentlemen - may the wind be at our backs... stations please

llap

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it already but if things go downhill from here it'll be from a much greater point of quality than (say) Picard season 2 managed. Already a more engaging, charismatic crew than Enterprise ever had (not that that's the point of comparison mind, just the last, definite "space adventures" Trek show we got)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Acosta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

All in all I thought it was grand. Too early to tell really but enjoyable enough. I like Anson Mount, although he is playing it very very different to Jeffrey Hunter. But I guess that is probably deliberate.

Similarly, the guy (Peck?) playing Spock is fine, presumably he is doing his utmost to not just come out with a Leonard Nimoy impression which is the right move.

T'pring was physically very like the original actress from Amok Time, to the extent that I knew who she was supposed to be immediately...but what was with the kissing vulcans?

Of all the existing characters being played by new actors, Rebecca Romijn's Number One was probably the biggest departure. I suppose given that the Spock character ended up inheriting the whole "emotionless" shtick it made sense for her to be a more typical human but as a result she didn't seem have much going on in terms of personality.

No opinions yet on Uhura (I could have lived without her being shoehorned in, really) or Khan's niece or whoever she is supposed to be.

(Oh yeah...forgot about nurse Chapel. Wasn't gone on the portrayal, if I'm being honest. Probably my least favourite character so far. M'Benga was quite good actually)

Not having seen any if the appearances of this lot in Discovery I appreciate I may not be totally up to speed but I certainly am looking forward to some decent storytelling in self contained episodes, fingers crossed.

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek - The Next Generation Writer on Strange New Worlds!

^^ From Mr. Sci-fi (Marc Scott Zicree) youtube channel!

He does like to talk about himself and what he has written or been involved in.

"First Contact" derived from a story that Marc Scott Zicree had pitched in the third season. Zicree recalled, "It's very hard to sell to Star Trek. They've gone months without buying any stories. I had done up something like 50 or 60 stories in pitching to the show. Usually I sell on the first or second story. I must have run fifteen stories by them before we hit 'First Contact.' Piller liked the stuff so he kept saying keep going.

In the above video he equates this episode to be a sequel to the concept for 'First Contact'.

He also mentions the 'Captain Sulu Star Trek pilot' which was made into 'New Voyages World Enough and Time'.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Very late to the party but that was really good and begs the question why the other six seasons of live action Star Trek are so poor in comparison. The crew seem so much more mature and professional than a certain other series and even when something like Uhura's "cool" slips out it's shown that that's not the norm like "the power of math" or many other Tillyisms.

The only real niggles I have, and I realise they're very minor, is calling it a warp bomb as opposed to a matter/anti-matter bomb/reactor seemed to be dumbing it down a bit too much and it's conn not comm. The latter wasn't just a flub on Mount's part, it's in the subtitle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Started a re-watch from the start last night. Really shows up DIS and how poorly they handled that (it's not all bad, I REALLY wanted to like it and it has some good points) but comparing SNW and DIS/PIC, it's like night and day. First episode gives us a great start and intro to the characters, and their relationships, the general state of the federation and universe, as well as the incredibly tricky balance between satisfying long time fans and providing accessibility to newcomers.

I didn't like Captain Pike/Anson Mount from his DIS appearances but he's got way more about him now, over the 10 episodes he shows not only the actor's ability to perform the character but the writer's abilities to form a realistic person.

Advertisement