Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 1x01 - 'Strange New Worlds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked it.

And I think I know more about the crew of Enterprise after 1 episode than the Discovery crew after 4 seasons.

Ortegas seems to just be there for snark.

Definitely a bit more fun in it and a main character that doesn't speak in whispers.

As for Burnham influencing Spock, I think it was at the end of season 2 where Spock said it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Half this crew we know already and funny enough it made me realize it's the secondary characters we learn most about in Disco.

Pike and No.1 got more to do than "yellow background guys" and easily as much as Detmer/Owo. Clem Fandango and Book got more time than most too ( frakked their way to the top )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really enjoyed it. Roll on episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Also agree with the above comments. I knew more about the crew in first episode of SNW than season one of Discovery.

Also Gorn could make interesting bad guys but not sure that works time line wise. And CGI could be difficult.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was great! Absolutely fantastic!

Everything was thought out so well! They've set such a high bar in their pilot episode!

Damn!

That preview for the season to come!!! The solar sails ship!!! Maybe a Bajoran cameo?!!?!?!! That would be so freaking cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed that a LOT. could have done without the montage towards the end but it's a minor quibble.

As we had already seen Pike and Spock we new they were great (and the very brief scenes of Number One in Discovery confirmed Romain was also going to be perfect)

Some of my misgivings from the trailers were satisfactorily explained (I was concerned about the chumminess of Soong and Number One (Una. Hahaha) in the trailer. Great lines but too chummy to say to the XO) but their previous friendship explains this.

The T'Pring/Spock scenes were great. Sure, some may say they were a bit too light but I thought that were very enjoyable. The most deadpan flirting.

Uhura and the alien in the lift was fun. Keeping him calm and occupied until the doors open and he is INSTANTLY sedated. Lol.

And the "Space, the final frontier..." Good to have it back. So yeah, very happy with this. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it again for a second time. I enjoyed it even more the second time. So many great ideas. The emergency transporter in sickbay for instance brilliant. I know in TNG they could been the injured and sick straight into sickbay but it also depended on someone being in the transporter room and it not being damaged or under repair. In the Original Series they had no such capability so ye it's a great idea and the A.I too.

The Warp core looks small enough but at least it is a warp core.

The crew seem to be jelling well together. They all seem very human too.

I think this is now my favorite pilot episode of any Star Trek show.

I hope the writers can keep up the high standards they have set themselves and not ruin it.

I look forward to the new races and worlds we will meet.

As for what O said in my first post about the scale of things never mind it all looks brilliant I love it.

Can not wait for episode 2 bring it on I am guessing we will learn or get to know about the chief engineer in that episode hopefully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,973 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I quite enjoyed that - a great palate cleanser after watching the utterly atrocious Picard.

Felt like a very solid reset for them to build off. I quite liked the idea of basing the first episode off of The Day The Earth Stood Still (I'm not sure we quite needed the finger pointing of actually putting the movie on TV, but that's fine), with Earth as the alien species. That idea nicely resets Trek as being the broadly positive progressive optimistic future it was intended to be. The couple of classic sci-fi references makes me feel like whoever the writing staff are, we're in more capable hands - the obvious above one as the spine of the episode, but also the fairly clear little reference to Silent Running (with a more positive outcome).

The powers that be have blown it before, so have to wait and see, but it's a very positive start - it feels like they know their tone, and are keeping things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Liked this - a straightforward Star Trek episode of the week series. Sure there are things that don't quite fit but generally the thrust and premise is good. Even the season trailer is not a warning of it morphing sideways into something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC

The emergency transporter in sickbay for instance brilliant. I know in TNG they could been the injured and sick straight into sickbay but it also depended on someone being in the transporter room and it not being damaged or under repair. In the Original Series they had no such capability so ye it's a great idea and the A.I too.

Strange New Worlds Makes 2 Big Changes To Star Trek’s Transporters

Star Trek's transporters are a miraculous technology but in Strange New Worlds, the Enterprise's transporters can suddenly do some unheard-of things.

• the Enterprise's transporters could somehow have clothing pre-stored in the pattern buffer.
    • Kyle somehow managed to beam the liquid from the transporter pad directly into Spock's bloodstream!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Transporters already actively interfere with the contents being transported, including screening out out viruses through a bio filter, and disabling weapons. Swapping some replicated clothing for some other replicated clothing is really a very minimal change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure they can do that in current day, according to the documentary, Power Rangers. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

That sense of optimism about the future is something I've found distinctly lacking in other Trek shows like Discovery & Picard. It's a big reason why I latched onto this series of SNW so easily. It felt like in the other series their futures were getting worse not better. There were some small niggles for me with the story - the Archer having a crew of only 3 people stretched plausibility for me. I would have expected Pike or Number One to beam over to the Archer and examine the ship's log if they had detected no life signs aboard or at least access the ship's log remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What I find refreshing so far, granted we're only one episode in, is that we've had nobody banging on about the show being woke or whinging amount the amount of diversity & references to contemporary events like Jan 6th. It's almost like the problem was never any of those things, just bad writing.

Ms

There were some small niggles for me with the story - the Archer having a crew of only 3 people stretched plausibility for me.

Not at all. It was a relatively small ship and most of it could probably be programmed to work automatically but not having an engineer on it was strange to me. Maybe the Captain AKA No.One knew all that do.

I do agree there should have more than 3 people on it but I think most of the ship could be automated otherwise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

yea i think i have watched this now 3 times - and every time i watch - i found something i like even more

• The music is SUPERB - the Trek Theme variation after pike makes his speech (and we see a montage of the aliens drawing pictures of 1701) - epic
    • there is a quality to Anson Mount as Pike/The-Captain - he seems to have a lovely combination of the Dept of Picard - and the playful boyishness of Kirk - perhaps we will see some Sisko-Determination shining through at some point - glimpses perhaps - he is fantastic
    • The Acting is fantastic - i just cannot help but love these characters already - (not sold on Chapel but give it time!)
    • I like the sets and the special effects - Yes its TOS era and we need to be careful canon wise - but im sold anyway - Its fine - nice blend of Classic TOS ERA look - and modern SFX
    • the writing - the scene where Spock gives his presentation on Warp/Anti Matter weapons - real quality Star Trek Briefing room stuff there (just wish they had called it an anti matter bomb as opposed to a warp bomb lol)

Im sold on this - im invested - 1 episode in i feel 100% better about the franchise - if this show succeeds i want similar caliber spin offs - REAL TREK

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Some interesting star charts here from the episode - can only speak for myself but i would love to see Cardassia in the 23rd - prior to the military take over

Just watched it again and it is still great (and great to see all the positive reception it has received). Just a couple of things. Mainly about La'an.

What was the gesture with the finger to the eye with the doctor? Was it a greeting? Or something I missed Something that may be explained later?

What was their concern with her? Was it due to her name/connections/possibly being genetically altered? Or was it due to her time with the Gorn? Do they think she may potentially suffer from PTSD? (This is what they seemed to allude to with her saying she has issues with people)

Edit: Fixed some typos (Damn phone)

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

I have similar questions about La'an - she could defo be the breakout character - everyone is interested in her

AFAIK - nothing has really been revealed about her

• We infer she is related to a certain augmented villain
    • She had some serious interactions with the Gorn, prior to be rescued by Una
    • She is (for reasons unknown) unwilling to be sedated for medical treatment (possibly that specific treatment alone, or all treatments - we dont know)
    • She exchanged a finger/facial gesture with the Doc (who, BTW, I also think is excellent, thus far) - unexplained!

All very mysterious - just gonna have to wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,973 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the thing of turning down sedation/pain relief, my first thought was just that she has a history of addiction. Which would make a certain amount of sense after the trauma she went through of being a sole survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This may sound dumb but the episode made me cry a bit. When they referenced the Jan 6 Insurrection. As an American it was kind of a lot, to process that 1) Ugh the show is going there, how tacky 2) How validating it equally felt that the show is going there 3) How utterly shameful it feels that this was the incident in the Trek Timeline that they chose to use as the dire warning to these dumbass aliens who wanted to blow themselves up, 4) how wonderful, strange, surreal the moment in the story was overall and how it culminated into the Prime Directive, the hopeful message and 5) just the shock of seeing one of my worst fears that I felt, on January 6th, realized as something I could see even if it was just some cheap imagery suggesting we had nuked ourselves in an all out civil war, like I was witnessing a real cautionary tale from the future almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lets not forget that this show only came about because the fans screamed it from the rafters that they wanted a Pike/Enterprise show with AM

If it wasn't for his brilliant scenes in Disco (god forbid we have to give that show any credit) this show would never have happened

As for Overheal - yeah but no, a few seconds clip and you latch on to that tiny bit

As for La'an not wanting to be sedated, I thought that that was her just not wanting to relinquish any control of her body due to her experience with The Gorn. Didn't want to be in any "compromised" state.

And yeah, the doc was great too. My only thing is the sight over-casualness of the navigator (Ortegas?). The "there's something hinky about the warp signature". But I was thinking about it later (and about the fact that they all seem to be SUPER qualified). It is the flag ship so it makes sense that they would have the best people available.

It really is just me. Complain when they are too stiff and one dimensional. Complain when they have quirks. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I suspect that the tiny 3 person crew on the Archer was a 'shortcut' that the writers took to prolong the mystery of their disappearance. If the Archer still had other crew aboard it wouldn't have lost contact with Starfleet and the other crew could have informed Pike and the Enterprise about what the situation was on the surface. As it stands I don't think the episode adequately explained how the Kileans managed to capture the Archer crew who were in uniform and not in disguise like Pike and his landing party.

As for La'an and the sedation I thought that it might be down to her requiring a much higher dosage of sedative compared to a 'normal' human because of her genetic heritage and her not wanting that revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought there were only 3 on board because the whole mission was a cover up. Could have done the whole thing with a runabout type ship though in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Beaming all the crew down to the planet just seems iffy ... even with a small crew someone should stay with the ship.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As for Overheal - yeah but no, a few seconds clip and you latch on to that tiny bit

And if it had been a few seconds of Bloody Sunday maybe we'd swap shoes. Bloody Sunday clearly being the worse of the 2 examples of political turmoil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very late to the party here but wow. I know the other shows have started ok and gone downhill, but they were never this enjoyable, this robustly adherent to both the theme and pulse of Star Trek. If this series also slumped it'd be from a very great height cos I loved that opening episode.

Yeah there are some quibbles but honestly nothing remotely large enough to add caveats. It was so on point I honestly thought I was watching some hitherto unknown series from the 90s, with only the splashier aesthetics and quippier dialogue hinting at modernity.

Bravo. Third time of asking but live action Trek is back. Just don't fúck it up lads

• Advertisement
    Ms

The thing is this is the 23rd century and they do not yet have advanced Runabout type ships yet. They are not availible for nearly another century as the small warp cores used in them have not been invented yet. So hopefully they do not change that. That is why a small one nacelle ship was needed by them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement