Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

the gaa should not hand Eddie Hearn a free lunch at our expense

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Remove Eddie. He’s just one man. Do it for Katie and Ireland and fans..why the fixation on Eddie?

persobally I couldn’t care where they fight. I have no actual feelings on it. It’s just a suggestion/opinion I’m throwing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do you think Eddie is going to give the 500k to Katie or other boxer. It’ll go straight into his pocket. That’s the issue I’ve got with it. How much money does Eddie and his company make out of a sellout?

Not with you. I said (or at least meant to say) was the suggestion that the GAA to waive the rental fee. So they allow the fight to be staged in Croker minus the fee to use Croke Park as the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Why should the GAA give funding that will end up in another sporting organisation area or promote that sport. The fees is the approximate cost of 8-10 coaches for a year. The GAA help fund club capital costs. Recently our club did a 150k development the GAA gave us 10% of the cost along with some sport capital funding. All this made the project possible. It's not going into the back pocket of private promoters

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I gave my reason. A selfless good deed. See it as maybe a real promotion-marketing/opportunity. Lot of goodness to be got from doing a good deed.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All this hype about “National Treasures” et al, seems to me to smack of the kind of controversy that blew up over

the use of Pairc Ui Caoimh for a soccer match.

Folk who should have known better got involved and tried to put pressure on the GAA.

The GAA got to the right decision in their own time, without any input from these grifters in the media both social and mainstream.

Event junkies will always try to up the ante in situations like this, it’s all grist to the mill for them, and cold hard pragmatism has no place in their locker.

Let’s not get carried away by these people is what I would suggest and let’s look a little further into who has ‘dogs in the fight’ however tenuous in this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tubridy easily forgets that the GAA, like other sports orgs, are just 18 months on from Covid closed-door events and are still recovering financially from that.

Any money the GAA make goes back to grass roots really better than any other code. Besides, that 500k will actually be paid to the Dept of Justice and private contractors for actual work. If they did waive the fee, the GAA in turn would have to pay them out of their own pocket and that would be ridiculous.

The best thing the GAA can do, is make it known that they don't give a f*** one way or the other if this fight goes ahead and that the fees are the fees and that the price for Wembley is as irrelevant to Croke Park as the sunrise time on Mars.

Hearn can stow the cockney wide boy act and either pony up and get busy selling his 80,000 gate or pack up and **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Cruz got cut up early which was a shame as she was winning the fight at that stage. However despite Cruz never really slowing down and throwing a lot, I think Serrano landed much more impactful punches. Amanda by UD was a fair call.

However if fighting in May, I think she would have liked an easier fight than this as while Cruz was erratic she did land plenty so it will have taken some toll on Amanda.

On the supposed date of the rematch it clashes with the Heineken Rugby cup final, which will mean hotel prices and transport will be insane.

I want the Taylor fight in Croke Park or The Aviva but **** sake Eddie why does it have to be that weekend?

I think even if the GAA and Eddie come to an agreement, Croke Park would struggle to sell out, plenty will be happy to stay at home to watch the rugby and avoid all the hassle and that's not considering their will be a rotten element their.

We can call them event junkies etc and "not real fans" but without them the stadium does not sell, their isn't 80 000 hardcore boxing fans in the country and anyone who says otherwise is a idiot.

• Advertisement

Serrano has circa 14 weeks now to recover, train, promote and step back into the the ring for May 20 following quite a gruelling fight last night. Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/DanCanobbio/status/1622284604802465792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1622284604802465792%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Cruz doesn't exactly hit like Wilder, but that has to take a toll on Amanda.

Cruz snapping and telling her corner to get away when they were wiping blood off her. What an absolute warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Katie Taylor supposedly wants to fight Chantelle Cameron after this fight. (although the headline is more straightforward than the actual article which suggests she's just one of a few names)

I'd love to see that fight, partly because Cameron comes from my neck of the woods in town, but I also think it'd be a very good contest between two very good fighters.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Eddie is number 1 in this Katie is well down the order

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Promotion marketing opportunity for what? The GAA? Croke Park? Yerra come off it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Looks like Barry Herne was BS all along. He said a CP fight was not happening after meeting with Connor McG. A CP fight might happen in the future.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think Hearn never fancied Croke Park. Now he's not going to come out and say it'd be a risk for Katie to fight there because she mightn't sell enough tickets, but that's how he saw it. He probably knows it is likely she would fill it, but he felt there was still a risk there.

It's a pity, but that's the way it goes. I don't really know why he won't go to another stadium though. Cork GAA wrote to him and they'd be very keen to do a deal given their finances. One would think Thomond Park or Pearse Stadium could also be realistic options this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Katie is never going to sell out Croke Park & Eddie knows it ,

The event would be a money making flop ,

I’m kinda torn here. I reckon loads people would buy tickets just to be there, loads would buy because they are event junkies, and then loads fight fans because they’re fight fans (and it’s real special type occasion ). Not sure 82000 sell, but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not a hope in hell ,

The cheapest ticket would be around 60 euro ,

The European Cup final in Rugby is on that day in Dublin , Hotel prices will be trough the roof,

Not a hope she sells Croke Park out

The bird has flown, I’m afraid.

RTE still giving it socks with emphasis on the ‘homecoming’ bulldust.

If Katie wanted to ‘come home’ she would have done it long ago if it paid the moolah.

Gullible and all as Pat is it’s too late now, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It could sell out Croker if it were not on the same date as the European Cup Final. Dublin cannot support two events that size on the same day unfortunately. So either the 3 arena and the same date or Croker / Aviva on a diff date. Lots of armchair fans would make the effort if hotels were available, and bars, restaurants etc. not packed already due to the rugby.

Just my 2c on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Muhammad Ali fought in Croke Park in the early 70's. Obviously there was no social media and no advertising for boxing fights on TV but 25,000 people attended the fight. I think you could come close to double that attendance for a Katie Taylor fight, and especially against Amanda Serrano after the epic first fight they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The problem is that the undercard won’t be great and it’s 2 minute rounds.

CP is far too big. Anyone in the stands will be watching it on the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get what you are saying but this country is full of hipsters and they'll all want to be there.

You'd easily get 40k attendance.

That bird has flown , in my opinion..of course you would get the event junkies and the grifters from RTE plugging it incessantly ..and getting ‘all emotional’ ..but I reckon it’s a non runner in Croker.

The problem with 40k is while it might cover the bills and turn a profit the atmosphere will not be great allowing for 10-15k out on the field it leaves the test dotted around the stands.

The place would be as dead as a duck.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This has now been postponed due to a Serrano injury. I could see them trying to do a different date at Landsdowne Road.

Advertisement