Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s Croke Park are BSing here

Initially they signed a short-form contracts agreeing on the €400k (matching the Wembley amount) with Hearn covering all costs associated with things himself

Croke Park then went quiet for a few weeks and came back quoting over €200k more on the original amount

For what it’s worth, Croke Park won’t sell out for Katie anyway. Too many Mammies/Social Media followers who wouldn’t do the trip. 3 Arena makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Can’t think of any fight in the world that would sell out 80k seats at Croke park even Katie.

Croke park is a huge venue it would be Shi’ite trying to see the fight’s from the upper tiers.

Reality is most people probably wouldn’t give €80 - €100 for those kind of seats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You're 100% right with the above, although there is another angle I hadn't thought of.

TV/streaming numbers are obviously a huge part of what brings in the money for big fights and fighters. The image and perception of a fighter has a lot to do with that aswell.

So let's imagine Hearn put this on in Croke Park and it does 45-50,000 people. Now financially that'd still be a big success in terms of profit from ticket sales, despite security costs.

However it would ruin the imagine of Taylor as a megastar in Ireland who everyone wants to watch if there 30,000+ empty seats in the stadium. That could have a knock on effects in terms of the ability to sell her to US audiences.

This is the biggest star in women's boxing (alongside Claressa Shields) and if she couldn't even sell out a mega fight in her home country it could have further knock on effects to the image of women's boxing, which Matchroom are promoting heavily.

From that point of view I could see Hearn's hesitancy to take the risk on Croke Park.

You're looking into it too deeply. Upper tiers can always be tarped off and not even noticed on TV. Hearn was not worried about the stadium looking only 75% full etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How can it be more expensive than Wembley Stadium. Have you ever been to Wembley? The whole area around it is set up as part of the stadium. There's shops and all of that but huge walkways making it easy to get in and out. It's a far better facility than Croke Park.

It can hold a far bigger crowd than Croke Park for concerts or events outside of soccer.

So explain to me how Croke Park is 100k more expensive?

Also did you even read the first line of my post before you mentioned Hearn and gullible people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are incorrect. We do know that Herne is BSing. CP rent the venue. He probably changed specifications. The 400k was for opening the venue for a certain size crowd. I did see a figure of 750 k if it totally sold out (80k tickets) but that would probably mean opening the upper tier. The 400k is probably for the lower tier only.

The rent is often the smallest part of the cost for a venue like CP. After that you have crowd control and stewarding within the venue. The 400k would not include that. However the GAA from an insurance POV would require a certain standard or for him to provide liability cover.

I imagine 25-30k would be tops crowd wise at a Katie Taylor fight. CP is not viable in that situation. Herne is just realizing that now and is throwing the blame elsewhere.

At a crowd of 50k and 400k rental cost it's 8/ticket. At a guess the 3 Arena will be much more expensive than that per ticket. Herne taught someone else should pick up stewarding and policing costs. Now he trying to get public support for to get the government or the GAA to underwrite the risk for him. The government are never going to set a precedent for reduced costs or free policing at entertainment events.

Herne had not got his homework donr

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Because Croke Park has little competition but Wembley does, and higher costs (Labour etc) than Wembley does. It’s not that hard

Wembley is also a **** disaster to get out of it you’re heading back into central London but that’s beside the point.

Tickets on average would be cheaper in CP I imagine. But would you 70-80 per ticket to watch a boxing fight from mid way up or at the Hill end of the the Hogan or Cusack stand not to mind the Davin end. You would see nothing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Croke Park "went quiet"..what does that even mean?? What would one expect Croke Park to do, have an open-top bus parade to highlight the fact they'd agreed a date to hold an event??!! A simple case of a greedy promoter here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yep people will.

If just for the selfies to post on social media.

• Advertisement

25-30 k will 50k+ will not and that is Hernes problem

Slava Ukrainii

Hearn definitely worried about it selling out.

But as someone that has been involved in organising more than one big event at Croke Park the GAA are very cute hoors.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I'd say Hearn is worried if even Lansdowne Rd would sell out, why else would the date be so concrete? What's so special about May 20th? That date gives him an excuse because the rugger European Cup final is on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

I think this is what Hearn is up to .

In my opinion the Avivia would be a better location for this fight as its would be more likely to sell out and has better stands for rain protection.

'Going quiet'

Once the short-form contracts were signed, Matchroom wanted to get the ball rolling, but Croke Park stopped responding until they just came back with the new price

Not incorrect. Info is as close to first-hand as you can get really

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You just explained yourself exactly why Croke Park is more expensive.

More residential streets, more points of access and more directions of flow lead to way way more security.

The vast majority enter the Wembley area from Wembley Stadium NR station or Wembley Park LU and walk to the stadium on special custom built security conscious pedestrian walkways.

We have the hilarious situation of 80'000 people walking through the city to Croke Park.

Why is it hilarious. The quite simple fact is that the GAA do not have crowd control issues and crowd segregation issues that soccer has.

50k+ plus people go I to matches there 10+ times a year. The GAA rebuild CP in the same position it gas been for 100+ years. They do not have crowd issues. Crowds walking to and from stadiums for 100+ years without and serious violence.

It's not hilarious it just the nature of the fans. Irish soccer fans are generally similar, the issue is the violence associated with certain soccer countries and England is one of them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes, I've been to Croke Park many times and never noticed excessive security whether that's a concert or match. In fact all I've ever seen are a few Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's public transport in Dublin that hilarious not anything to do with the GAA or anyones fans. I think you have taken me up wrong there.

For instance there was talk when the Phoenix Park tunnel reopened of dropping the special trains right into Drumcondra but it never happened.

Of course the rugby crowd are too good for a bit of walking. Dart station on the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree CP for Katie would sell out, a once in a lifetime fight event for a sports icon legend, surely an agreement with all could be reached, could the sports arts minister council intervene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I laughed out loud at this one. The poor innocent boxing promoter being taken for a ride by the crafty wideboys of the GAA.

This is all a stunt to get other people to pony up some cash while he continues to take the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Drifter100

I think we need to take some of the emotion out of this..

Some facts, KT would not sell out Croke Park and I seriously doubt any boxer would. If you are back in the stands you are going to be looking at 2 ants in the distance, at best you will be looking at the big screen and you may not have a view of that.

Its a different way of doing business in the UK, security is generally included in the fee to the stadium as they will have to seek approval from the Met / Greater Manchester Police / Strathclyde etc. Hearn did`nt realise its different here and left the security costs out of his calculations.

Croke Park residents would have a lot to say, can`t imagine they would be delighted with yet another concert style event so you would have a lot of politics involved and seek permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Did katie not beat this woman already?

why would people pay 100 euro to see it again? Pure money racket by all concerned. Home coming my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because in boxing sometime rematches happen. And when fight 1 was so very good, a rematch is generally welcomed by fans..

I mean, why do folks pay to watch any two people/teams play/box again? It’s sport..

Nobody would have argued for Nadal and Federer to never play each other after their first match, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Big difference…huge prize money available in tennis. With Katie and Serrano its all about settin up the next payday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did a bit of research into Hearne

Dodgy as befcuked - inherited load of money from his aul lad and getting burned repeatedly in recent years

KT better off distancing from him

the stunt is not working if that’s what it is. He’s a typical london “geezer” trying to do one on the “paddies”. Let him go Whistle.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

Very real concern that serano will beat the head of Katie (going by the first fight) and she lose the fight - imho disaster if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Boooourns

We couldn't even fill the homecoming fight for Katie after she won her Olympic gold, that was an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dodgy how? Inherited money..

am I missing something with this boxing promoter/salesman? Has he some dodgy criminal record I’m not aware of?

Katie and Hearn have been doing deals and business quite a while now. I think she’ll be just fine.

Advertisement