Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Still gonna be called "X (formerly twitter)" by most publications. Most people will still say twitter as well. I still call The Point, "The Point" after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

I still call a Snickers a Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They will always be Opal Fruits to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 40,310 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cif will always be Jif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd also like to request a moment of silence for Lilt, now called Fanta Grapefruit & Pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dang, beaten to it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

With the change from Twitter url to 'X', I have lost my history/recommendations of search words!

As i am in here, might as well post this as a followup to a conversation in the government thread.

76 million to scam you on X, using celebrities

In recent months, X (formerly Twitter) has been flooded with ads using the image of public figures and media outlets. These redirect to web pages that offer false investments in cryptocurrencies where they steal personal data from users or encourage them to make a first investment.

Michael Martin's beef with Social Media is his image was used in that as well. @jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Oxo Moran

Marathon bars ….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I still call eir the pnt.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

'Semitic' is a dodgy, now redundant 80 year old linguistic analytical term. It's only use now is by hysterical zionists to convey how offended they are when it's pointed out they are committing genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

FF also tried to use Social Media to promote its candidate in the Dublin Bay South bye-election. FF's "Deirdre Of The Sorrows" SM campaign is memorable for all the wrong reasons. I think that a lot of old school politicians like Martin hate Social Media because people can talk to other people without the interruption of RTE or the media. That means that the usual gatekeepers and dictators of public opinion are largely eliminated.

Social Media represents a loss of control for these politicians and they hate that. Musk's purchase of Twitter/X and the removal of a lot of the Left-leaning content moderation types has upset a lot of people. It has also made it more advertising driven and scammers will take advantage of any opportunity. Previously, some of these zelebrity "endorsement" scams were on Facebook and other websites.

Regards…jmcc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Musk's purchase of Twitter/X and the removal of a lot of the Left-leaning content moderation types has upset a lot of people

The fact that it is now absolutely rampantly filled with antisemitism and racism is something somewhat reasonable to be upset about. He didn't remove "left-leaning content moderation" he just removed content moderation.

Also calling something whose advertising revenue has completely cratered "more advertising driven" seems a bit at odds with reality.

Bullshit

Hatred of Jews is still very much a thing, whatever you call it, and a race of people are not responsible for the actions of a government.

Absolute crap

Twitter/X has turned into a cesspit of white supremacist hatred under Musk and he's perfectly fine with that. Free speech my arse.

Meanwhile advertisers (actual businesses with a brand to protect, not scammers) are fleeing in their droves.

Mr Genius Business Model strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The mainstream media no longer use tweets or what’s trending on Twitter as a barometer for stories. And arguments/flame wars between journos, politicians, celebrities etc. won’t be the basis of articles either anymore. Thank God. I doubt we’d ever see the same with discord, mastodon etc.

Musk thought he could recreate 4chan on Twitter and it would automatically get the same coverage that Twitter did. ‘Libtards’ would be getting ‘owned’ everyday the world would be set right, according to his views anyway. Bit of a miscalculation.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

It always had many of those tweets but some of them were filtered so that many people would not see them. (A kind of filter bubble that showed people only what they wanted to see.) Musk's attitude to free speech (in terms of The First Amendment to the US constiution) is quite different to that of the pre-Musk management.

When Musk took over Twitter, the media filled with opinions from technology journalists who knew very little about Technology or business explaining why Twitter would fall over within days and that Mastodon was the next big thing and people would migrate to Mastodon. It was quite a shock when people didn't migrate in huge numbers and leave Twitter/X empty.

Twitter/X is still there and the claims of its demise, so far, have been wrong. The legacy media still uses it despite it being Musk's business now. It has a critical mass of users so it makes sense for businesses to advertise there if there is a return on their advertising spend.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I

Musk has zero regard for free speech and anyone who posts that hasnt been following the thread and the numerous documented examples of Musk using Twitter to silence and ghost people and accounts who are on opposite side ideologically to him.

To wave that away as a 'very different attitude' is a blatant deception. Yeah the difference is he is a fascist racist bully who makes the rules up as he goes along.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

His business, his rules. There's no way that it will satisfy everyone. The advantage of Mastodon is that anyone can set up a node. They inevitably run into similar issues on determining the rules for their node. There have been incidences of accounts being banned on Mastodon nodes too.

Regards…jmcc

Hold on a second there.

You're gone from a "very different attitude" to free speech to "his business, his rules".

You are contradicting yourself from post to post. Just as Musk's actions contradict the nonsense he spouts about free speech which seem to have duped people who should know better and make a mockery of them.

It's not about satisfying everyone, it is about using his platform as a bully pedestal, all the while lying about doing so out of some regard for free speech. He doesn't and don't pretend otherwise. It is just a lie he comes out with as cover for the racist, fascist crap he peddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

@jmcc yes, Twitter is still there and still has tens of millions of daily active users but so does Reddit and how many other sites that nobody cares about. Musk destroyed the relevancy of Twitter in one flew swoop.
    It will never be relevant again. We’ll never see another metoo or Black Lives Matter and we will be the worse for it.
    I watched January 6 unfold on Twitter. What platform will do that in the future?
    Musk is a shameless self-publicist but the spotlight will go off him soon.

His cronies have huge investments Tesla so they won’t yank him until they have time to cash out. Give him his 56 billion dollars, offload their shares and watch all his fanboys get burnt. (My hypothesis anyway)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

It might appear as a contradiction but it is not. He has a different attitude to free speech than the previous management and it is generally more free speech orientated. The previous management seemed to focus more on the "right" to be offended and keeping users, and former employees, in a perpetual child-like state where no opposing view would breach the barrier of their filter bubbles.

It is still his business and he can and does act personally. It is also a very different Twitter/X to the old version. The upcoming US presidential camapaigns and election are going to cause some fireworks and X management will be hoping to monetise the outrage from all sides. In simpler terms, Musk and X are probably hoping to monetise the demand of users to be offended, those users tweeting about being offended and others disagreeing. Disagreement, rather than agreement, generates traffic and advertising for X.

Regards…jmcc

It is not more free speech orientated, as already pointed out to you and documented multiple times on this thread.

He is a racist fascist troll and his agenda is enabling that. He is the one in the perpetual child like state acting on impulseansd "its my ball" rules. Adults have rules and processes that are documented and followed.

Dressing that up as in any way pro free speech is falling for his lies and judging him by his publicity not his actual actions.

Multiple posters have pointed out to you desertion by reputable brands and advertisers - something entirely predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Free speech absolutist who bans journalists en masse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's only free speech if you agree with what I say free speech is!

Advertisement