Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As if to prove the original point? Attack Ocasio-Cortez, ignore the substance or context of why she even came up in the first place. Which was, ultimately, a glib bit of humour.

Instead? Triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I see so graduating with distinction with a degree in economics and international relations in your books makes her not very bright....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

More "newbie" drive by fluff. On to the ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Something tells me she's a lot brighter than you.

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Elon now taking jabs at Native Americans... And overestimating how funny he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What a tool. Dinosaurs went extinct before mammals took over. The only dinosaurs that survived abandoned land and took to the sky and became modern birds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As per usual, Musk has all the humour and smarts of an always-online 12 year old 4chan user.

It's not even insulting or shocking such that Native Americans should or could be outraged; it's just … lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He’s spewing simple narratives to the simps that follow him. Ignore the systematic genocide of the Native Americans (or is First Nation People the correct term now?), the racist policies and Laws that California had in place well into the mid 20th century to prevent non-white immigrants from buying land and starting their own enterprises.

Thankfully Twitter doesn’t have the reach it had 2 years ago and his ramblings and disinformation aren’t used as the basis on articles in the mainstream media anymore.

Cui bono?

I do think he's illustrated perfectly why people who own social media companies shouldn't actively use their platform. Any other owners tend to in the background and you know vague stuff about them at best. If Elon hadn't gotten so vocal, he could have made himself into an enigma. Instead we get every thought that pops into his head and many of them sound like a thirteen year old discovering Internet arguments.

If the Tesla sales keep dropping, I can see him being ousted as well.

Oh I know the intent it's just the execution is just so pathetic: it's the humour of the infant, who thinks their first bit of edge-lord adjacent humour is Wit Incarnate. Like how my 3yo thinks saying "poop!" or farting is funny. To be fair though, farting is funny.

I can't see how anyone gets truly annoyed at this 'cos it's just so limp I just feel a bit embarrassed for Musk. This is why there are no right-wing comedians; all they can be is either infantile - or bullies. OR both.

As to what term to use? "First Nations" seems to be the preferred term but I still think it depends and like how reservations themselves are set-up, it's complicated. "Indian" is still a valid term used by many of those peoples themselves (the official government department is still called the department of "Indian Affairs")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Somebody must be blowing a massive amount of smoke up Elon's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not to derail the thread completely but I think you can learn a lot about American politicians by watching how they perform at hearings. Most of them take the opportunity to grandstand. They'll often ask questions that have already been asked many times just so that they can ham it up and clip the exchange for their social media feeds. They'll typically end up accusing the witness, or their organisation, of dastardly deed so that they get to look "strong" or something.

I've seen AOC several times and she doesn't do that at all. She's quite understated, often wearing glasses and reading from piles of notes. She uses her time carefully, often asking the witness many questions and does so in such a way that they don't get a chance to ramble in response. It seems that she tries to extract as much meaningful information from the witness given the time constraints and as such is using her slot quite effectively. She behaves more like a lawyer than a politician, which is rare at those hearings.

I think anyone who believes that she's not intelligent is letting something else cloud their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh like this you mean?

Cool calm and collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

O dear, my O my etc.

🤭 Kinda reminds me of the Brianna Wu segue here all over again. A mild clap-back gets a sealion response.

Don't Sshoot the messenger!

And how does this relate to AOC? Since this is the Musk thread, you must have been outraged when he labeled the diver in Thailand a pedophile...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From blueticks being used to signify verification, to "Anyone can have a bluetick if they pay for it", to "You can pay for a bluetick, but we'll give you the ability to hide it because people might make fun of you for it", and now we've reached "We're going to give loads of accounts blueticks for free"

I mean, you have to have over 2,500 subscriber followers, not just followers, but they've still set that bar incredibly low just to force well-known accounts into having a bluetick. Probably because the illusion of "Celebs only want blueticks to feel more important than everyone else" has continuously been shattered by the low uptake of blueticks once you had to pay for it, causing them to force the blueticks on accounts with about 1m+ followers, and now dropping the bar lower to also including those with 2,500+ subscribed followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wu of Gamergate, Porsche collection and lunar rocks fame?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont forget you can hide your bluetick now, its incredibly obvious to see who is though as they stand out huddled in at the top of comments among other visible blueticks, also if they comment at you they show up in your notifications under the verified section

• Advertisement

Aye. Was a good few pages back now, but someone shared a tweet from Wu sharing a video of Musk saying something stupid. I don't even remember what he was flapping about. Cue the then floating Muskoholics shouting about Wu being this and that terrible person rather than, ya know, the actual topic of Musk and what he said / did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

As individuals, they seem to provoke a strong response. Thanks for the information.

Absolutely. In fact one of the best things Musk ever did was shattering the illusion of the blueticks being like a badge of pride or elitist (which it never really was, it was just for verification). Once people could buy them, it was hilarious watching the people who bought them realise they were being mocked, derided and ignored, because now they had a bluetick and they still weren't worth paying attention to. If anything, the bluetick highlighted why you shouldn't pay attention to them, to the point Musk had to bring in the option for people to hide them (but like you say, it's still easy to identify them because of the positioning of their tweets).

It became such a badge of shame that Musk still has to lower the bar to justify giving it for free to more people just to increase the number of blueticks and try to make them something worth having again (though again, they never were worth having, they were just for verification of high-profile accounts, which was to the benefit of all users and Twitter itself)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And like every other thing that Musk has done since he took over , his actions have destroyed the actual value proposition of the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But if you're already paying for a blue tick and qualify to get it free now, you are still allowed demand you continue paying for it?

And then hide it, and deny all knowledge of......

That's the Blue Ticko's want, isn't it.?.🤔

I did see another tweet a few days ago that, as this policy applies to people who have more than 2,500 subscribed followers (so not just followers or even bluetick followers, but actual subscribed followers), the best estimate of the number of people who would get Premium for free: 8. And 4 of those (including Musk) would get Premium+ for free for having more than 5,000.

This seems more like a "If you subscribe and get loads of subscriber followers, wonderous things can happen!" ploy to entice people rather than being of any benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

there's a thread on reddit where they ask what turned people off Musk.

A very large amount say it's when he started calling the diver a pedophile

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1bute49/people_who_liked_elon_musk_but_no_longer_do_what/

One of my favorite replies is that Elon has a "please clap" energy when it comes to his bad jokes. :)

This is what comes to mind so often:

A grown man… had to say to another grown man (his boss)…. "Your meme game is strong"

An adult grown man used those words, and then had to go home, talk to his partner or family about his day at work, and admit that he had to say that to another grown man.

I would contend your point about "grown man"; there's a consistent pattern I'm noticing with these online idiots, be they antagonistic or otherwise, where it seems like emotional maturity / development hit a hard stop around 21.

I don't mind admitting that I was not dissimilar to these chuds back in my college days in the 2000s: snickering at "gay" as a pejorative, punching down as a reflexive form of humour and generally thinking being an ásshat was funny. Then I met people outside my echo chamber, expanded my personal horizons, grew the F up a little. So now I'm just a conscientious ásshat but not acting like I'm still in my 20s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement