Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

However Elon shouldn't talk about free speech either, he has laid down for numerous authoritarian regimes for censorship and some of the stuff been sugessted for Israel is horrific.

The nub and centre here: Lemmon's reputation is irrelevant, the questions a fairly tepid interrogation of Musk's very flawed controversial tenure, and personal life. Nothing I haven't seen a dozen times before from any number of interviewers. It's just an approach to discredit the legitimacy of the questions through a tedious "shoot the messenger" rationale. Musk fell apart at the smallest hint of robust questioning. What a snowflake.

Musk's approach to free speech has been a thin facade that lasted about as quickly as that Musk Jet account got banned. As you say his kowtowing to dictators hypocrisy enough but his view of Free Speech seems to continually amount to a desire to openly dog whistle and peddling conspiracy theory rather than leading from the front with any appeal to ideals. And the markets appear to agree that it has not added value to Twitter. Just in this page alone we have an example of the dog whistling in effect.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

Have you watch the clip I shared? "I don't have to answer questions from reporters" are Elon's precise words. He wasn't composed at all, he fell apart under very light scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We consider hoarders to be mentally unwell and yet that's all billionaires are, they are wealth hoarders. They have more than enough wealth than they will ever need or conceivably be able to spend while refusing to give any reasonable portion of it away and yet they still need more... how is that any different to a person who hoards for example newspapers they will never be able to read and refuse to dispose of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

That is nuts.

‘Entrenched single party rule’ that’s what the Republicans have achieved already. They’ve gerrymandered districts for generations, prevented any change in the Legislature that would erode their power. Anytime they are not in power, they stymie the Democrats, force government shut downs etc etc.

They ignore the power of Democrat Presidents Prevented Obama from appointing a Supreme Court Judge as he had ‘only a year’ left in office. Trump put two nutters in with a few months to go.

As for welfare, they give billions, if not trillions to corporate America in tax cuts, subsidies, cushy government contracts.

And on, and on, and on.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I watched the full interview.

That clip was right at the end after an hour of a hitjob by Lemon, as I said earlier Musk was very composed and patient with Lemon for the bones of an hour but enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

A hitjob? All he did was ask questions about information that Musk himself had put out there.

Maybe Musk should have done his homework on who Don Lemon was before agreeing to the interview? He probably thought he'd get a cushy interview the way Putin was interviewed by Carlson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

I thought what a difference it was to the interview with the BBC lad where Musk started to ask questions. He seemed very off his face at some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Guessing that he figured Lemon would be a kindred spirit with the cnn allegations.

Honestly he floundered exceptionally easily but they consider anything short of that Putin interview to be a hit job. Their ego just can't take anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They were leading questions and patently argumentative but "hitjob" is overstating it completely, and a suggestion Musk is a misunderstood creature the libs are out to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Musk is a controversial figure. Tough questions were always coming and an interview is not meant to be a safe space. Musk wilted pretty easily.

Musk said he wanted to platform his biggest detractors and then realised they might not always say nice things to him. Heck he didn't even get to his biggest detractors before caving on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This policy change could possibly be in response to a post last month from Musk when he wrote, “Any doxxing, which includes revealing real names, will result in account suspension.” Still, in an interview with Don Lemon released on Monday, Musk said that moderation of hate speech is akin to “censorship.”

Sigh. Fúcking hypocrite as always. It's so very curious how evvvvvvvery time Musk goes to bat for something or someone, it's so distinctly right wing: not centrist mind you, never even remotely thus; it's always racists, bigots, autocrats and/or conspiracy nuts.

WHAT A TOTAL COINCIDENCE.

But hey Andrew, did you see that Don Lemon guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

Seems reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tough immigration laws - but not for wealthy South Africans

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nice try but my eagle eye told me that the clip you linked to @Kevrano was not as I remembered as I watched the whole thing after seeing Edward Snowdon's comment on it on X.

This is the full interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhsfjBpKiTw (relevant section 30:03 - Content Moderation) where you will see the actual context in which Musk says 'I don't have to answer questions from reporters'.

So he didn't fall apart there, he was being bullish if anything. I take it you didn't watch the interview in full and were simply taken in by The Daily Show, right?

And another correction, what Musk actually said was "Moderation is a propaganda word for Censorship". He didn't say moderation was 'akin' to censorship. Meaning when people say moderation they really mean censorship, not moderation.

I would have thought with the amount of time some people put into this thread they'd have the patience to watch a one hour interview, but instead prefer to comment on snippets of misinformation.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why is it that people of a certain political persuasion balk at tough interview questions of their political and cultural heroes? It's an interviewers job to ask questions of their interviewee, and those questions can be tough at times depending on what the interviewee has embroiled themselves in or what they are currently doing.

You see it time and time again, where a certain type is interviewed and the usual whingers come out out and claim that the interviewer is "biased" or it's a "hatchet job", crying because so-and-so wasn't given an easy ride.

God be with the days of the likes of Paxman, who was never afraid to "go there" and ask questions of these folk, and keep bloody well asking the question until it was answered or the interviewee made a fool of themselves trying to evade the obvious.

Frankly, we need more tough questioning of people like Musk and others, lest all we end up with is mere propaganda pieces.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because fundamentally their "viewpoint" or "political agenda" can basically be reduced to "I want to be allowed to do/say what I want so f*ck all of you".

It's kinda hard to put forth a cogent defence of that position and not come across as exactly what you are - A self involved , ignorant arsehole.

So they bail out claiming that it's a "witch-hunt" or a "hatchet-job" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed it all boils down to wanting freedom from the consequences of their speech. They view questioning or analysing the despicable things they say as a consequence and that shouldn't be allowed.

This is it exactly. The ‘you can’t say anything anymore’ brigade just want to say whatever they want, without having to listen to a response or challenge.

Debating training means that they won’t give an inch in discussions (on either side). No time to dwell on a thought and come back to the point a few days later.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The bots have now diverted attention to “I sympathize with Russia” posts all over Twitter, posted in every case by accounts created March 2024 with no followers but quote tweeted hundreds of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a little bit telling when you see which posters are having the urge to leap to Elon's defence no matter what. 😂

Listening to a podcast recently and Jon Ronson was on it. He said the only benefit Musk has created by buying twitter is that he scattered the Left to Threads, Mastodon etc. so that the ability to ‘Cancel’ people for the smallest infraction or ‘wrong’ opinion has ended. He didn’t think another platform would have that power again.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently visited twitter for the first time in several weeks. there are a couple of accounts i follow still posting there, but my feed is a shadow of what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I reported three posts in the last week for the vilest abuse - two misogynistic and one antisemitic.

All involved violent language. None were found to have contravened their "community standards". They need new standards.

Unfortunately that's things working as expected: to parrot @Quin_Dub 's own comment the fundamental thesis of Musk and his supporters boil down to

... their "viewpoint" or "political agenda" can basically be reduced to "I want to be allowed to do/say what I want so f*ck all of you".

The "free speech" waffle is just a mask to allow them to be bigoted ássholes without having to deal with pesky things like consequence or reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Musk is not hiding his ideologies on X now he is openly promoting hate.

He is showing his true self and it is no surprise really he would fit in well with the Lethal Weapon 2 bad guys

Exactly this. Like protesters here, screaming ‘peaceful protest! Peaceful protest!’ 6 inches from somebody’s face doesn’t make it a peaceful protest.

Musk can say that he is in favour of free speech but his actions say otherwise. Like that Cork journalist banned for writing an article critical of Twitter.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement