Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What's hilarious about the Carano thing is a) she repeatedly spoke when she was let go by Disney about how she was now more free than ever and was happy to be able to make her own type of movies now, b) the movie she made where it was funded by Ben Shapiro & The Daily Wire bombed horrifically, and c) it bombed because even the right-wingers turned against it because it starred a female in a strong action role and was therefore deemed to be too woke.

So now she's trying to sue Disney to get her job back, even though Disney can very easily point out that at that time she wasn't actually under contract and she wasn't a lead in The Mandalorian, and the spin-off show they were planning with her was only in early concept stage, so they didn't fire her at all, they just decided not to bring her or her character back.

Musk backing her shows how utterly performative he is. She hasn't a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, little Benny was going to come rushing to her aid and then nothing happened.

Poor old Gina doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

she was an even greater physical presence in season 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny how Musk keeps aligning with right-wing figures and then tries to blow smoke up our áss that he's this honest broker, centrist "free speech" guy; it's such patent nonsense but hey,

it bombed because even the right-wingers turned against it because it starred a female in a strong action role and was therefore deemed to be too woke.

Oh god yeah I forgot that little detail: which really goes to show what a venomous pit the "alt right" truly is; not like the Left doesn't have its own problems, often born from purity tests, but Carano throwing in her lot with Shapiro would almost make you feel sorry for her if the punchline wasn't so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Why would he pay for a trustifarian who raked it in at Fox to go to Russia, he could just wait for the "interview" and say something vague and get the same traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's simple, they're on the same side of the culture war. In their eyes Russia is a success story that turned around from being the bastion of godless leftism to being a crusader for family values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, the same posters sympathetic towards him or wanting us to see black and white are the ones who tend to fanboy over the likes of Orban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

My ‘for you’ timeline the last couple of days is a non-stop stream of right-wing, anti-immigration drivel. Never seen anything like it. Every 2nd post from profiles full of tricolours or butchers aprons supposedly finding Muslims littering, raping, etc., and weirdly a page called Radio Genova which keeps popping up with videos about ‘Muslim invaders’. Really is a **** horrible website these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You can literally just click the "following" tab, and poof, it's all gone.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Advertisement

You must tell the advertisers, they'll be back in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm sure you're deeply worried about the financial health of X

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Her role in Deadpool was the same, just muscle with zero personality or character.

I think my point has evaded you. as the post had quite a mean intention that is probably for the best.

Just pointing out the reality, Musk's ownership is consistently disastrous and there's no sign of it regaining the foothold it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can you use Twitter for conference calls? Jaysus: if it's anything like their video player, I'd not rely on it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Another step towards making it the ‘everything app’ he’s always dreamed of.

Its such a chore to switch between apps on a phone to do different tasks, I don’t know how someone hasn’t tried this before….

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Because Western audience's dont really want it, and the ecosystem is much more mature than China was when WeChat took off, meaning Musk has already missed the boat here - and by all accounts, WeChat dominatio of the landscape seems to be Musk's primary inspiration. But it's harder to impose your will on Western countries compared with Beijing's monopoly on infrastructure. Besides, it's not that bad from experience: we use Google Accounts, Slack and Zoom with all three pretty well integrated with each other. It's not that much of a hassle, if at all.

The fact Musk has kinda self-destructed Twitter's image and reputation makes the Everything App a lot harder sell.

Daisley says it is a “slightly flawed premise” to presume that because everything apps have emerged and succeeded in China the same will happen elsewhere. He adds, however, that making payments a key part of a rebranded Twitter platform – a clear ambition of Musk’s – could work in the US, where the online banking and payments set-up is less well developed than in the UK and Europe. The question is whether you would trust Musk with any payments process, Daisley says.

“When it comes to banking, most of us want slightly boring apps where we put our money,” he says.

Daisley also argues that Twitter has become a more toxic brand under Musk, which lessens its appeal as a financial service provider. “The idea that I would use an app that I find more jarring under Elon Musk’s ownership, that I would trust it enough to put my money into it, is fanciful.”

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But WeChat only "dominates" because every other app is banned or heavily restricted in multiple ways.

Also as it's owned by the Chinese Government , they push it and promote it like crazy.

WeChat simply doesn't exist outside of mainland China beyond a small global ex-pat foot-print because no one wants to use it as there is zero appetite for an "everything" app.

Like you say , the boat has well and truly been missed - 10 years ago there might have been a window get going but now the sheer inertia of everyone already being settled into their preferred eco-systems makes the chances of successfully launching an "everything" app as close to nil as makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I just saw a thing that pointed out that Disney can fire her for any reason, including her voicing right-wing beliefs because all employers in Florida, except for the government, can fire you at any time for any reason. Contracts don't seem all that important there.

I wonder if DeSantis will get involved given he has history with picking fights with Disney and their supposed "wokeness".

Either way, it's a sideshow and nothing anyone outside those with siege mentality will row behind.

Funny how Musk is so keen to throw money to support right-leaning personalities supposedly persecuted for their "free speech" in the Anglophone world ... yet he's nowhere to be seen(?) when it comes to actual free speech issues in various developing countries across the world. No sign of his chequebook opening to fight flagrant abuses in, say, Russia for instance. I wonder why... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Ah here, he’s a free speech absolutist. You don’t get Saudis to invest in your public square unless you think otherwise.

that assumes she had a contract for a third season.

She didn't, but I think kowloon was just talking about how much of the US can just be fired under 'at will' rules. Meaning even if she was under contract, Disney could have just gotten rid of her regardless.

It's also why if was far easier for Musk to get rid of huge chunks of Twitter staff in the US but had a harder time with staff in Ireland and other locations.

if she had no contract then i dont understand what she is suing for. Disney have no obligation to give her a contract for a third season

Bingo. Her career has tanked since she was canned, so now she's trying to force her way back in or get a payoff and just general attention, and Musk is helping because of Disney pulling their ads from Twitter and just in general "free speech anti-woke-leftists" nonsense.

It's purely performative on both their parts.

True, but it seems like even if she did it wouldn't be worth anything barring some kind of golden handshake termination clause. If she had anything like that she wouldn't have kept it to herself.

• Advertisement

She probably heard the tattle that her character might have got a spin off, back when the Mandalorian blew up and seemed to have a lot of good will. Why Carano left it til NOW to sue though, is curious. The spin off never happened (along with about a dozen Star Wars projects) and we're 2 seasons on yet why now?

Advertisement