Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I drink less and less every year.

It's healthier and cheaper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,063 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Crafty fox just off camden st in Dublin selling Guinness and more surprisingly Ambush IPA for a fiver a pint. Ambush is ~7.50+ anywhere else in the same area. Ryans across the road have guinness at 6.30

Kavanaghs 5mins away out camden and long lanes have guinness for a fiver as well. Theres another few around the liberties with pints at a fiver as well, theres (relative) value to be had out there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MUP is designed to discourage you from buying non-brand supermarket drinks as it's set to the level Diageo already profiteer at.

Remember at pre MUP prices supermarkets paid full excise duty and VAT on what they sold and made a decent profit too, otherwise they'd have just stocked the branded products.

https://finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm - from 1973 to 2013 the average wage could have bought 150 pints of Guinness.

How many now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone I know was in a hotel in Claremorris and paid €8.10 for a pint bottle of Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭keithb93

I paid 13.10 for a pint of Heineken and a bottle of coors yesterday in Cork. I think this is past the limit of what I think a pint is worth so I will be having the few weekend drinks at home from now on.

Is it a case of greed or is this price justified just to keep the pubs open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Greed.

Publicans hate that people can go to an off license and buy the same product cheaper so will do all they can they can to make the Government push the price even higher.

And they come out with crap like oh its better for peoples health to drink in a controled enviroment.

Back in the days before off licences were a thing they were happy to let people drink themselves into oblivion on the other side of the counter and throw them out when the money was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Greed. Pure and simple.

Diageo are just taking the piss at this stage. A company that made 5.5 billion, yes BILLION, in profit last year claiming that they "have" to put up their prices.

It's a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

went into woolshed for the games today. paid 7euro for a pint of coors. absolutely ridiculous, will not be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Some amount of suckers paying for pints of literal piss in here....

Do yourselves a favour and give it up....and take up cocaine like the young lads....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose it's all very well to abandon the pub and drink at home but when we're away from home we all like to find a nice pub to settle into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've gotten a bit of a taste for Lervig Orange Velvet lately. Saw they had 330ml cans of it in Crowbar or whatever the pub beside The Button Factory is called.

17 euro for two of them. 8.50 each. For a little can. All I could do was laugh really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could count the number of pubs on your thumbs that banned cancer sticks back before the smoking ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭keithb93

I love a pint in a pub as much as anyone and I will always visit a pub on holidays or weekend breaks because I budget it in for those events.

If anything it will make me appreciate a pint even more when I am on holidays in Spain or even in a country pub knowing I am not giving my money to the greedy pub owners here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

My local in Cork pint of Heineken was a fiver in 2017. It's 5.70 now. That's not bad considering how wages,electricity etc has gone up in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Was in the Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire yesterday afternoon/early evening. €4.60 for a Beamish and €2.60 for a pint of Abbott Ale. When the server put the amount on the card machine for the latter I actually had to ask and make sure I'd ordered a pint. Place was busy, with mixed crowd varying from families having food to young folk who looked like they just finished work in the shopping centre. Nice view looking out onto the sea too.

I wouldn't drink out a huge amount, but 6.80 for a Guinness in Ryans on Parkgate Street and €7.10 for Guinness Nitro IPA in Palace on Fleet Street were two I can remember being charged in recent memory. Mental note to never darken either pubs door again was made too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, 2.60 for cask ale in Wetherspoon in 2024 are the cheapest pints in Ireland.

Oddly, the Beamish in Spoons is dearer than the Beamish in the Auld Triangle on Dorset street, 4.20 a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dinjo99

A pint of Moretti in the Maldron in Tallaght last night was €8.20!

My first and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ive stopped going to the pubs. Buying myself a kegerator soon. Its gone beyond a kings ransom at this stage for a night out. No more.

This is not a pro publican post.

I'm rather thinking of what we could lose if pubs overprice and fail to attract enough business to be viable.

I know some great pubs in Cork and along with the two mentioned in Dublin they are the sort of places that are irreplaceable.

The publicans can sell the premises for a good price and it can become a shop or a fast food place and the pubs we love to go to will be gone.

It's happened in the UK.

• Advertisement

To be honest my post above was more heart ❤️ than head.

The poster saying they'd never go into the Palace again got me thinking of the consequences if a lot of people did the same.

Imagine turning into Fleet Street and being faced with a Costa Coffee or a Subway where that pub stands.

The Cobblestone almost went and who knows how many more are at risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

spoons have huge buying power too over the standard pub so it's not a fair comparison so maybe chains will be the standard in the future - I hope not btw.

However spoons are great option but my pet hate is that when Ive had a few pints there is a family next too me and I pref no kids when i'm drinking.

Dropped into the local yest to meet a fella for 30mins. place was half as full as it would have been a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kingslayer

If you buy all the gear and brew your own beer what would the price be roughly per pint? How long before it pays for itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was in town last weekend and paid €6.90 for a Guinness in the Foggy Dew. I rarely go into town much anymore and was a bit shocked by this, I feel like the price of a pint went from just over a fiver to nearly €7 very quickly. It's €6.20 in my local out in the suburbs, which I thought was bad enough and he can only charge that much as he has absolutely no competition locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bop1977

i paid $5.95 in Maynooth a few weeks ago for a Guinness. the next weekend in Sligo i paid $5 for a pint of Heineken. it seems the further you go from James's gate the cheaper things get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bop1977

and yes i know Heineken isn't brewed by Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm don't usually experiment in pubs cause if the beer is muck it's €6 plus down the drain. I was in spoons in Cork a few weeks ago though and I tried the Abbott ale ($2.05) and really enjoyed it. Problem with spoons in Cork is the crowd. Really rough looking crowd in there and edgy atmosphere and this was midweek at about 4pm. Dofo not a place I'd hang around for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I used to go into Wetherspoons quite a bit when they first kicked off here but after a while I just came to the conclusion that I don't like the actual venues at all. It's more about drinking than it is enjoying the location.

Nobody cleans off the tables so you've piles of plates and glasses all over the place, no music at all, generally bright lights and more gougers than I'd like to be around.

The only time I'll go near one now is if it's a sunny day and I can sit outside the one at Grand Canal Dock.

Yeah look I get that. I've stopped going to locals. Probably once or twice a year I go in now. That could be more age than anything though!!. It's the price point at this stage though. I simply can't justify it anymore. To get me back to pubs it would take some sort of financial incentive. Some decent meal and pint deals perhaps. A tenner for a pizza and pint just to get you through the door. The likes of that. A lot of pubs though are more interested in fleecing people. I know that's not all of them.

One of my locals a chicken curry is 17 euro now and a pint of heineken is 6:60. If me herself and the 2 kids go that's a fair chunk of change for average enough grub.

In saying that the place is always jammed at the weekends especially when the sun is out so there is no incentive for them to change I suppose.

If I were going over the meet a few lads and watch a match I'd bring enough cash for 4 pints and that would be it. I'd be gone then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

7 for a pint in the City Centre is about average.

Although Coors you would expect to be a little cheaper. But i wouldnt say 7 euro for a lager in a large city bar like that is over the top.

But thats the whole point with this subject. What one person thinks is a total rip off another thinks is perfectly fine.

As long as there are enough folks in the perfectly fine category, plus the tourists that dont care because they are here for a couple of nights only, things will stay as they are.

Advertisement