Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If there was only one pub in Dublin I'd care 😊

When all the pubs start charging a tenner for a pint, you might care then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can get a drink way cheaper than £6. I was paying less than that in London in proper pubs in central London. In the Spoons it was about 3.50/4. A big difference between here and the UK is the variety of price across all types of food, drink and groceries. The average between the 2 countries is probably close but we don't have the same vast difference between the Spoons/Morrisons part of town and the wine bar/Waitrose part of town.

He is always doing shte like that for the notoriety. He thinks he is the Michael O'Leary of hospitality.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wetherspoons is funny how cheap it is yet a lot of locals avoid it like the plague. When I go over to visit my sisters in London if we go out, we always go to Wetherspoons for the cost but they'd never go there with mates etc. It's also one of the only pubs I went to with them over there where you're guaranteed to get seats, other pubs would be rammed but Spoons always has space

• Advertisement

That's not going to happen.

It's not dodgy, dishonest or overcharging to offer to sell a pint at a certain price.

There's a weird strain of "thought" in some people, actually a lot of people, whereby they automatically believe the cheaper option must be worse because it's merely the cheaper option. This happens across the board with all goods. With Wetherspoons you pay for the same crap as you would in the bar down the road that charges twice as much or sometimes more.

Now, in saying that, the Wetherspoons I've been in haven't been the most pleasant of places to have a pint. Initially, at least. But depending on who I'm out with, the surroundings end up making little to no difference. But the difference in the pocket is certainly noticed.

The thing I don't get about Wetherspoons, is that they could easily make their pubs more appealing by making the decor more like the traditional old fashioned pub type pub. But they tend to end up being these gigantic cathedrals. The one beside the Bleeding Horse is a perfect example. In any case, I've had some cracking nights out there too. A pint of Beamo at around €4 tempers my meh response to the surroundings rather swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If you just want to drink good Guinness in Dublin you can do so for as cheap as anywhere in country.

You can pay double for worse Guinness but in a more expensive area.

The choice is yours.

About 18 months ago, I had 8 or 9 pints in Irishtown House. It's not fancy spot, but Guinness is very good. Guinness still €5 per pint I believe.

Place was hopping at 11am on Saturday morning, it's a drinking man's spot.

There is plenty of other similar options

There are options. But the problem is they are becoming less and less.

The thing is that if the prices went back down again as market "thinking" dictates, then most people wouldn't have an issue with paying a higher price for their tipple temporarily.

But it doesn't. It goes and stays up, even when the original excuse for the price hike is no longer valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The Nitro surge cans are a decent alternative at home now. Being honest even @ €5 I wouldn't go out of my way for a Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's fine for food of an afternoon/evening but I wouldn't spend the whole night in one. Have the grub and a few pints and move on to somewhere better.

I tend not to eat in bars/pubs. I've heard the grub isn't so great in Wethersppons anyway.

Ok cheers 🍺 let's settle on that.

I'm no fan of the Dublin publicans either.

Ever since their organisation the LVA lobbied in favour of Minimum Unit Pricing I never had the same regard for them.

Well then we can agree on that.

🍺

Anyway, I'm off for a pint at the relatively "cheap" price of 5.40 and to watch Liverpool blow it against Luton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, one reason for high prices in pubs in Ireland is that there are a few dominant brewers, so there is little price competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to a concert in the 3Arena on the 15th March and already dreading the pubs

Worst thing is if your tourist you don't know any better and will pay those prices. Happened to me in Central London

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK really isn't any different. Heineken and AB-Inbev dominate the UK with Diageo having its unique but odd role of serving nearly every pub with not much product. Lots of pubs sell six or less different draught (or cask) products.

Here we have a big two and a little two - Heineken/Diageo and C&C/Molsoncoors competing relatively strongly and most pubs sell far more variety of product. I would very much have preferred if anyone other than Heineken had bought Beamish and kept us with a big three, but it didn't happen. We then have two comparatively large independents - Carlow (O'Haras) and Rye River - with very strong retail presence and solid tap access in pubs.

The margin (not the profit) on pints in pubs here is massive, even if brewers reduced kegs significantly I wouldn't see tap prices coming down.

Are there not also several / many regional brewers in UK?

Are there not loads of cask ale suppliers?

Are gross margins on beer in pubs here higher than UK? I suspect so.

• Advertisement

I found a till receipt in the bottom of an old laptop bag today.

Auld Dubliner Temple Bar

2 x pint Guinness 11 euro

25/5/2014

(server Thomas)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are many regional brewers here, they just get ignored by publicans. The UK isn't quite as bad with that but it's no idyll

Gross margin is higher here, but the multinational breweries also charge more for kegs here despite similar excise. The independent breweries, who have much higher cost bases, are almost universally cheaper for similar product now.

Diageo gotta pay for all that sports sponsorship somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Back in my day, a person could go out drinking at least 3 nights a week, on an average wage.

The problem is, the tax and duty on alcohol.

The excise duty hasn't changed in years.

Meanwhile, Diageo increased the costs four times.

And yet people like you still blame the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

€50 for the night is gone now

It's pre drink til god knows when and then out

The big GAA Championship summer start is now April-July (mid-late summer for a small few countys) cutting out the 'cheap drinking' before going into Thurles crearing the sea of colours etc.

Nowadays it's 'bandwagon thing etc' with the 'lad with the bag' truly making the night and going not giving one **** about the result and partying the night away

They can charge what they want and get away with it

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

given that’s 10 years ago AND the level of cost increases we’ve seen in the last 2 years which have been extraordinary - fuel, staff wages, cost of raw materials, insurance etc have all risen incredibly high compared to the last 2 decades, it’s not surprising that pints are now 7,8,9 euro in certain parts of Dublin .

Then look at house prices, rents, personal insurance, cars- everything is high right now - it’s as if we’ve drifted into a high inflation situation without realising it - I don’t drink regularly in pubs and if I did I’d probably be curtailing my number of nights out - pity as some great places out there but they’re struggling now

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭concerned_tenant

I recently came back from Iceland where they charge 10 - 13 euros for a pint, on average.

I think €6-ish is more than reasonable given the average annual salary in Dublin is €63,000.

For sure, not everyone earns this, but people have a choice. They can always opt to drink at home for minimal cost, if they wish.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

6ish has long since been forgotten in a lot of Dublin pubs. 8 in Temple Bar, 7.something in the rest of the city centre is the norm now; with notable exceptions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭concerned_tenant

For sure, I understand that some places are more expensive.

But what I don't understand is the outrage that some people have about paying ~€1 more for something over time.

It's a very small difference.

If it were a sudden €5 hike, I'd sort of understand — but even then, a minority of places would do it (touristy places) and people would still have a choice not to enter the establishment.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

A fair point but I live in the Midlands and the cheapest in town is 6 euro - Paddy’s weekend they had Harp for 4 on offer - all over that although it’s weaker than I recall.

Cans decanted into a pint glass at home it is for me!!

Advertisement