Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

€10 a pint would ya pay it ??

Pre drinks already becoming the norm but if we the likes of those prices then pre drinks will be the 'night out'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The phrase " just going out for 1" would become an actual reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭almostover

Was back in my homeplace at the weekend in rural North Cork, €4.50 for Murphys & Guinness in the local. €4.80 for lager. Hard to argue with that! A pint of stout in Cork City is €6 in a lot of places now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not in a million years would I pay that much for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I refuse to believe that there would be a need to raise it to EUR10 a pint.

If we average say 85 pints per keg thats EUR850 per keg.

Id love to see a breakdown of what it costs to produce that single keg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So less than EUR100 to produce one keg..madness to think they want to charge EUR 10 for 500ml

I see a further survey reveals another 20c added per pint across the country

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/8-for-a-pint-of-guinness-cost-of-living-crisis-hits-pubs-with-drink-prices-rising-20c-in-just-six-months-41996075.html

I guess it will be justified based on location but still a tenner for a pint...not worth it regardless of venue/service etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jonathan2712

I moved to Ireland from the UK about 7 years ago, and was surprised how cheap it is for a pint. I was paying £10 in London 7 years ago, and can easily pay £12 now.

Last week I had a 12OZ (so that's about three quarters of a pint) in LA for $16.

None of the bars are empty, so plenty of people do pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Last week I had a 12OZ (so that's about three quarters of a pint) in LA for $16.

It's actually less, it's 3/5 of a pint.

20oz in an imperial pint, 16oz in a US pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm surprised that €10 is no the norm at this stage in high costs areas and possibly it is because the volume is there and costs can be spread over a high level of business.

Many UK city areas are at or near £10 a pint at night in the "in places". In Bristol you can pay £8.50 in one pub and under £6 in a pub 3 doors away for a pint of carlsberg. The expensive pub was far busier!!! The "cheap" pub was a wetherspoons!

In the USA $10 is the norm in any of the large cities. €12+ is the norm in many bars in Paris.

You won't have a session in these bars. You'll visit, enjoy yourself, stay and hour, one drink and head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In other cities around the world beer can be more expensive than Dublin but you can often get a cheap pint during Happy Hour.

A little treat denied to us in Dublin by our legislators who think they know what's best for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭rogber

Get cans and stay at home, don't feed the system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Paid (reluctantly!) E50 for 5 long necks 330ml in Milan 10 year ago. Haven't complained about price of a pint here since!

It'll end up like england, bars closing n becoming apartment blocks in areas of high property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

We seem to judge inflation in Ireland on the price of a pint, and anything that is a few euro over the price in the local is a robbery, people need to stop this. You can pay what you want and go where you want for a pint. No one is forcing you into a pub to pay €10 for a pint.

I've been in Dublin and 2 other Counties in the last week. I've had pints in 3 counties, and the difference was about €3.50 between the cheapest and dearest.

€5 the cheapest Guinness and €8.50 the most expensive. Did I have an issue paying it, no... Because I knew I was out for few pints and an extra €20 covered what I needed. Could I have found a pint for €5.50/€6 in Dublin, of course and I've been to many places where you'd get that.

If a place charges €10 for a pint and people want to pay it, then so be it. A customer is free to go where they want to for a pint.

We all know Temple bar is a robbery, but they're not targeting local folk. Tourists don't have an issue paying the price for drink, like when I go abroad to America, Dubai and Australia for example where I've paid more for a dink and just got on with it.

Happy Hour in Baltimore, USA - pint "only" $8 + tax + tip. Nothing special about the bar but it was downtown at the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭taratee

Where were you paying £10 a pint in London 7 years ago? I spend a lot of time in West London (Putney, Fulham and Chelsea) and it wouldn't cost that nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Work colleague paid £7.50 for a pint in an upmarket pub in Fulham last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Owner of the St John Gogarty in Temple Bar charging 10 euro a pint was on Newstalk saying 95% of his customers are from abroad so hes not relying on local repeat custom. Fair enough if he gets away with it but I'd advise tourists to avoid Temple bar, plenty of other good pubs in walking distance that aren't expensive. Same with any big city, you'll have the tourist traps and where the locals drink. Went to Copenhagen and the bars in the main street were expensive (Irish bar the most expensive!) but good value 10 minutes away from the Tivoli gardens was the Vesterbro area, known as the redlight area but full of bars where the locals eat and drink at much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I was in West London in 2001 and I remember a pint was £2. One time I went to a bar somewhere in North London and giving the barman £2.50, he gave me back 50p and said “I don’t know where you’ve been drinking “.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't claim to be an expert but a publican friend once said it's very hard to sell drink cheaper as the price of the vast majority of popular beers are supplied by a monopoly of 2-3 brewers.

Have no idea if it's true.

I doubt tourists care about 10 euro pints as they're often not drinking large amounts and there are other European capitals with high standards of living where it's just as expensive or even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus how are the 5% locals putting up with those prices

It depends on the tourist. I dunno, I think some people think that tourists are walking down the road dropping money left, right and centre. If stupid fuckers are willing to piss away €10 on a beer in the Temple Bar, them to hell with them. But that kind of business model is very dodgy. ****s like the owner of the St John Gogarty overcharging customers are the worst types of business owners and I hope people like him go to the wall, because they absolutely deserve it.

As for selling drink cheaper, the knock on effects are real. When Heineken slaps 15 Euro on the barrel of beer and blame the cost of transport, the publican passes that on, with an extra little bit put on be himself too. That little bit extra will vary from pub to pub of course but it all results in stupid prices at the tap for a pint of liquid. Our excise on alcohol doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The 5% of locals are in for the ride, and high pint prices are therefore a justifiable expense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's golf clubs around the country charging e400+ a head for a round of golf. These places are booked solid, the yanks etc playing them couldn't care less about the cost. Was in the bar of one these a few years ago n yanks drinking 20 year old midleton n buying cigars that cost an average days wages !

You think the owner of the St John gogarty has a dodgy business model- hilarious, the place is wedged. Be sure to let them know!

Yanks is your keyword.

And it's "dodgy" because he's deliberately overcharging custom. "Dodgy" as in dishonest and low quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What you are ignoring is that tourists budget for these sorts of prices.

We all do when we go on holidays.

Some tourists will seek out the cheaper alternatives but the majority won't, the cost of drinking in Temple Bar is the price they pay for the experience of visiting and it's what they have budgeted for.

You or I could go to Chisinau and pay 50c for a pint in the main spot in the town, but some Chisinau locals would think it's extortion because they know there is a spot a few blocks away that sells pints for 25c.

"in places" around Covent garden / Trafalgar square / soho have been £8+ for years. Even Bristol and Manchester have pubs at £9+ for late pricing.

Sometimes they are located a few doors from a wetherspoons selling at near half the price - yet the wetherspoons is half empty.

Many large USA cities are over $10 as standard - AND you are expected to tip!

In Dublin - certain places that will offer something extra (live music is an example) will charge €10 and many will see it as reasonable value as they'll sit there over one pint for an hour. They are not the type of bar that you go to for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nobody wants to pay a tenner for a pint. They reluctantly pay a tenner for a pint as they might like that particular pub and put up with the pricing. I'm sure they still feel like they're being ripped off.

Bars look towards other bars for pricing. Prices go up in tandem. It's all well and good saying 'If you don't like it, go somewhere else', but you can rest assured that if all the expensive bars put up their prices, the cheaper bars will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't care what any publican decides to charge for a pint as long as he has his price list up in clear view as required by law.

I can decide to pay his price or go elsewhere.

I wouldn't consider him dodgy, dishonest or overcharging.

Advertisement