Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving the Civil Service

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I think the cop yourself on button should be pressed here

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

@Avenger2020

I've been reading this thread for a while now and I honestly don't know what to say.

Assuming that what you are saying is true, I have a lot of sympathy for you to find yourself in this situation. Does bullying go in the Civil Service? Of course it does (as it does in the private sector). But having worked in the Civil Service for the past 20 years (and the private sector before that) I think the protocols to deal with such matters are far more robust in the Civil Service.

The fact that you are unwilling to raise the issue with your HR or go to your union makes me less sympathetic (especially when making threats to go to the press).

My advice to you is to raise a case with HR (and forget what your colleagues are saying). Your situation is not going to change otherwise. If you tell HR about your situation you will have a good chance of being moved to a different section.

And I know this may seem harsh, but from some of your posts above you are coming across as your own worst enemy.

I genuinely hope things improve for you. But please raise a case with your HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Totally agree with the last poster.

Also, your organisation almost certainly has access to an Employee Assistance Programme. Refer yourself to it.

Do not think that running away from the Civil Service will solve your problems. If anything the private sector will be a lot more more demanding in their expectations that you do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The reason for the low uptake of the procedure may be those implementing it . Bullying is endemic in some parts of the PS and CS and it takes many forms , some of which you won’t ever encounter in the private sector . e.g. politicians with batshit crazy proposals that have to be entertained .

. Those tasked with sorting out some of these issues will side with the aggressor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That's not always the case. I joined the public service last year and there's no culture of bullying in any of the areas I have any interaction with. In fact there's a culture of reporting issues if they arise. That too can be a negative because it's got to the stage where a manager can hardly say boo to a staff member without getting reported.

If I was being bullied, I'd report it. If it was dismissed, I'd report the next incident of bullying and so on. Eventually it would be sorted out. And if it wasn't being sorted out after multiple reportings, I'd send a solicitor's letter to HR. There's no way anyone should have to put up with bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree with some of your take BattleCorp - in some cases (not this thread) employees can report a colleague for bullying just because they don't get their way on a few business decisions or on a policy decision, and claim things like "I suggested X and it got turned down, I'm being bullied". These complaints still need to be investigated and the procedures need to be robust to counter situations where the finger is pointed without there being any bullying. You have to think of cases where an innocent person may be reported wrongfully too because a colleague is jealous or insecure.

It's the flipside of the examples cited in this thread but still happens.

Advertisement