Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyross Train Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Does anybody know if a passing loop would be possible at Moyross?

It would seem very important for this line that something would be added. Aware this is impossible as you get closer to the city (particularly near parkway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It depends what stretch within the 2km study area they choose to locate the station as some parts are wider/less constrained than others.

I imagine the two frontrunners would be the field just south of the factory buildings due to its proximity to housing/shops but it seems to be a bit marshy or further west along the line beyond the football pitches which is the furthest from existng housing but closer to greenfield sites, which would open up this land for development. Creating transport oriented development was one of the reasons this station was announced under the Pathfinder programme.

Post edited by Poxyshamrock on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would imagine the best spot is just after the Moyross soccer pitches as there is plenty of greenfield and it puts it on the Caherdavin border so it brings the 302 (LSMATS 2) bus into play for TUS

Spotted some people in hi-vis and hard hats (possibly surveying) this morning in the triangular field between Watchhouse Cross and the factory units so I suspect this could be where the station is going.

It is. Someone posted a map on another thread.

Still think it would have been better round the back of Moyross community centre. Especially now that a new back entrance to TUS is being planned from that point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't think so. A temporary road is going in to access the factories from the Kileely Rd while the Ballynanty rail bridge is being demolished and replaced. It's more likely to be something to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given that the Council want to open up a direct road between College avenue and Woodview. I think that near the Community centre would be the ideal spot for the station. It leave TUS and Thomond Park easily walkable from the station. Which won't be the case for Long Pavement or the Meelick side.

Possibly. I have seen plans for that road. That road is going north of the railway line though, whereas the crew today were in the field south of the railway line so who knows.

The field is also the most likely place for a compound to be placed for the demo and replacement of the rail bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Will be handy getting to Thomond Park as well coming from Ennis

• Advertisement

Cuts a fair bit of time by not having to do that big loop around the Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

Is there any word on the station yet? I thought it was to be decided on by the first half of this year.

I've heard nothing initial story broke back in October 2022. Opening date of 2025 seems very ambitious now considering Woodbrook DART station has an opening date of 2025 with planning secured and sod turned!

We're likely to have a different government by this time next year that doesn't include the Greens. I'd wouldn't be surprised at all if this never saw the light of day.

IMO the Coonagh to Knockalisheen road and the BusConnects plan with buses every 15 mins will provide a much better service for the people of Moyross than 9 trains a day meandering off into the country side.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Single track and not working around catenary will make this an easier build. Maybe not that much easier

The train isn't for the people of Moyross except maybe the very odd few who work in Ennis and I don't think anyone believes it will be the commuter choice from Moyross to town.

Tbh outside of some Ennis and Sixmilebridge based TUS students I'm not sure who it is for.

There is a chance it won't even technically be in Moyross. Moyross is now just a trendy term for anything built around there. Same as it used to be the term for any crime committed on the poor half of the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm not sure where else it can be other than Moyross unless they reroute the line, technically it might be outside Moyross but the next populated area would be Meelick.

They have spent more than a decade knocking housing and depopulating the area, now they want to build a public transport mode that thrives on high density population.

Outside Moyross is the old dump which I assume can never be built on.

Close to the dump was one of the likely rumoured sites.

Again the density of Moyross doesn't matter because it will only go to the city which is better served by bus or Ennis which is not an area many Limerick people work.

It will be for getting people in to not out of Moyross for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

The new report on the news doesn't make any reference to the new station in Moyross. only ballysimon

That's because AtkinsRéalis have (apparently) been working on a study related to the Moyross Station and double tracking of Limerick-Limerick Junction since 2022/2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

That piece of work was announced in November 2022 and “will be completed in the first half of 2023, allowing both projects to progress.” The announcement is here

The wording of the new announcement regarding the Ballysimon station and the Ennis line capacity review is strangely similar to the above announcement regarding the Moyross station and Limerick-Limerick Junction capacity review, and involves the exact same cast of characters. So presumably it will also vanish into thin air. Long live Limerick Fantasy Commuter Rail.

Advertisement