Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moyross Train Station

Options
  • 06-04-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

In the national rail plan in October a station in Moyross was mentioned among other things as a key tenet of the mid west rail plan.

Minister Ryan has since said how important this could be.

It has the potential to serve a large community , a large population of third level students TUS, as well as match day activity for Munster Rugby.

What are the steps to this actually taking place , is there any evidence something is in progress and what is a realistic completion date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seems like a no-brainer, but I fear usual heel-dragging and only ending up on paper.

Close to the site of what was Longpavement station.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Terrain and space allowing, I'd suggest moving it a bit further West to get it closer to housing - between bridges 18 and 18A maybe? There is little remaining at Longpavment to reduce costs by siting it there

I've not seen or heard of any movement whatsoever on this. I presume the estate that is being slowly demolished to the North of the rail line is to be redeveloped also? Could easily be tied to that in future to split funding requirements across different pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It would form part of the LMATS plan.

That plan is not finalised yet and any final plan will have to go to consultation.

Once final plans are agreed, business cases will then be needed for government approval, and then railway orders applied for if necessary, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

One of the most stupid ideas in terms of public transport in recent years.

The station would be north of moyross, a good 5-10 mins walk for most people in the area

The line goes on a massive loop around the city. You would walk into the city in half the time. Not to mention plenty of bus options

Colbert is 10 mins walk from most of the shops and activity in the city centre

Build the station in another town or city where it's needed

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

It's about 4km from Colbert(Not a 10 minute walk)

Facilitates access to 3rd level institute(1.6k) and stadium(1.3k).

Thats not mentioning socio economic benefits to an area of adding a train station

• Advertisement

Read the post properly. I said 10 mins walk from Colbert to shops in city, not Moyross.

Why would anyone get a slow train to somewhere that leaves them with a 1.3km/1.6km walk to their final destination when they could get a bus instead that leaves them outside the front door?

Buses are slow in Limerick. I use a rail bus combination a couple of times a week, bus lane infrastructure way too patchy

No they're not. And they are definitely not as slow as getting from where you live to Colbert, then getting a slow train to Moryoss and walking 1.6km to LIT instead of getting a direct bus.

You’re only thinking of local traffic within the city though.

What about people coming from places further out on the train who might want to go to Thomond Park or the TUS campus?

The whole point of it to serve mostly local traffic (like the Dart), which it wouldn't do properly as per my points. The small % that would use it as a connection doesn't justify the spending.

• Advertisement

Without seeing the indicative timetables underlying the proposals which were not published, no one can say that with certainty.

It is also about improved regional rail which includes Ennis, Limerick Junction, Nenagh etc. and there may be people coming points such as those who could use a through Nenagh-Ennis train for example.

This is as much about changing attitudes to using public transport as anything else.

Yes they do but at a low frequency and with no stops between Sixmilebridge and Limerick.

Someone going to TUS Moylish from Ennis or Nenagh would never use the train but with this station and improved infrastructure and more frequent trains they might. Frequency could be increased with a loop at Sixmilebridge, you could have through Ennis to Nenagh trains which could create more options, etc.

This is about creating a regional network with new journey options and not just journeys within Limerick city which is what you’re focussing on.

And they still won't use it as it's 1.6km from TUS and anything else in the area. Direct buses coming from Ennis/Nenagh or elsewhere with no train transfer and with no huge walk are what works and will still work.

I would be all for this if the station were central like most of the dart stations in Dublin, but it's not. Location is too far removed. And I don't think Eamonn Ryan is serious about it anyway. Just fishing for votes after cancelling the distributor road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think a Moyross station makes sense as part of an overall upgrade to the Ennis-Limerick service, inclusive of the long talked about Parkway station and a loop at Sixmilebridge. Will it carry everyone who currently goes to the various stadiums and institutions? No, but I doubt it would be as windswept as Ardrahan/Craughwell either. The draft development plan shows some industrial and mixed use zoning to the west, plus the Coonagh to Knockalisheen project road will improve the local accessibility of a station from both east and west, and drive additional development - to the extent that local planning will permit. There are 57 new homes planned for the eastern edge of the area as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

any update on the new site for the station in Moyross?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

According to Atkins, the consultants:

"The initial phases of both projects – determining the proposed location for Moyross Station, and decision on the optimum approach to increase capacity between Limerick and Limerick Junction – will be completed in the first half of 2023, allowing both projects to progress."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

After seeing the Bus Connects plan, I have to agree with the previous poster that this will not be used much by locals. It will be much faster to just take the bus (15 minute frequency route 2 or 3). Even arriving into Limerick by train, it would probably be faster to jump on the new 3 route which will stop at the station, if you want to get to Thomond Park or TUS.

Until such time as the Ennis line has a few sections of double track, then the service will operate at a frequency of around 90-120 mins. Not ideal for a suburban commuter style train station.

• Advertisement

I would think that the station is more aimed at users coming from further afield than the city centre, such as Ennis or Limerick Junction or Nenagh (if service patterns increase).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

they would want to pick the place for the station if it is to be used to bring passengers from it to the likes of Thomond Park or LIT. it will probably never used for local trios in to the city due to frequency and a way faster and more frequent bus service. The bus service to Sarsfirld Gardens is less regular. Would the nenagh branch train get to Moyross in time to make the connection to LIT before 9

I wouldn’t be basing anything on current timetables.

LMATS envisages completely recast timetables.

It would be quicker for someone arriving from the Nenagh or Limerick Junction side into Colbert Station to jump onto the bus at the station rather than continuing on a train, as the bus it will drop them within a few hundred meters of both Thomond Park and TUS with a service every 15 mins, rather than 1.6km away with 9 services a day. Even if they do increase services it would be lucky to be one an hour.

What if the train continued out along the Ennis line with a five minute turnaround?

Again, don’t base potential service patterns on what happens now.

You could have a train in each direction every 45 mins with a passing loop at Sixmilebridge.

Who is to say that there won’t be more passing locations - personally I think there needs to be more loops.

A train every 45 mins, leaving you 1.6km from your destination is not better than a bus every 15 mins leaving you a few hundred meters from your destination.

Rail is definitely the answer in Dublin and in certain parts of Cork, but that doesn't mean that it is the answer everywhere. Bus Connects (with a few tweaks from the initial plan) will serve Limericks public transport needs far better than stations on old lines nowhere near where they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Exactly, there's a lot of proposals and draft reports that are in the process of coming online over the next while. There's a lot of pieces of the puzzle that isn't public knowledge. Having seen some of the reports and heard some of the discussions that's going on, it's not really fair to compare the existing infrastructure with the plans.

Do you know if Limerick will see the announcement of a Limerick Area Commuter Rail programme (LACR) similar to the Cork Area Commuter Rail (CACR) programme announced last year?

Iarnród Éireann Projects and Investments (irishrail.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Yeah the NTA is currently taking public comments on LSMATS draft up until June here:

Once that's finallised, the official announcements will begin.

• Advertisement

That was last June. The final version of LSMATS was published late last year but some of the rail upgrades contained within are vague, e.g.

MEASURE RL7 - Supporting Rail Infrastructure

It is the intention of the NTA, Iarnród Éireann and other relevant stakeholders to:

Enhance the attractiveness and efficiency of LSMA rail services through improvements to Sixmilebridge and Castleconnell stations, signalling improvements and completing the National Train Control Centre. 

Advertisement