Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2022 thread

Options
  • 04-04-2022 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

So with the masters starting this Thursday what are people's thoughts/predictions?

Mod edit

• NO betting talk - your post will just be deleted by a mod
    • NO moaning about Sky's coverage or commentators - again, your post will just be deleted by a mod
    Post edited by Keano on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I predict mcilroy will miss the cut, Tiger won't play, and there will be a surprising winner of 20 to 1 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Time for an Irishman to finally don the green jacket! Come on the lads!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be delighted for all the Irish to make the cut and Tiger too, it's all about the waiting game in Augusta and that patience only comes with experience

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Cam Smith and his incredible putting to win out.

What time are the draw/tee times released today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Sandy Lyle will increase his number of missed cuts at Augusta to 24 - I'm not sure if this is a tournament record, but it must be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think it is ridiculous some of the guys who keep playing....

Was there a 95 strokes or something stupid a few years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I think it will be Cantlay or Smith. But something compelled me to put a few euro on Kisner. Probably a crazy bet but just have a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

This is the year of JT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Xander10

DJ for me.

Maybe Seamus could be in the mix for 1st rd leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

To be fair if I was entitled to play there every year I'd tee it up and have no qualms going 30/40 over par for two rounds year after year!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, it's the same argument every year. Part of what makes the Masters so special is the fact that the winner comes back every year. They have a great affinity with the crowd and the attention they get when they play their past tournament is something few other tournaments can attest to. At least one of them generally plays very well for a few rounds too, think Langer and Couples a couple times each in recent times challenged for a few rounds. Think Langer was even in contention till the last 9 or so a few years back.

Anyhow, it's not even as "bad" as it was before. Then you had players playing every year well into their 70s. Now the cutoff is 65 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah, Strassenwolf is back once again for his yearly dig at poor old Sandy Lyle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I like Shane Lowry as a possible top ten if not winner, he has been playing a lot of golf over here since the new year and seems to be consistently in the top 25 every week, no big results but as the Masters is dependent on avoiding the big numbers, and the conditions are likely to be soft after a lot of rain before the first day, he might find the conditions to his liking. Fairly breezy conditions are expected and not overly warm at least for the first three days, Sunday looks warmer. Could say most of the same about Corey Conners of Canada who has been somewhere between good and excellent for the past few months, he may also contend. Of the big-name U.S. players I think maybe this could be Koepka's year, he has looked a bit better than much of last year so far, and we can assume this is something he wants to add. DJ will be in there but seems just a bit off the boil recently. 50-50 that Bryson de Chambeau even makes the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

He must have seen the same podcast clip this morning on tiktok where the "influencer/personality" was having a similar dig as if its a revelation. Its part of the tradition of the masters an what makes it the best major to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Listened to Mark O'Meara talk about it on NLU before and he said how there's rumours of players occasionally getting a tap on the shoulder and being told they've ran their race and they don't need to play anymore. Needs to happen at some point you'd imagine

You have to look at who is in form coming in and who has a great track record in Augusta.

Form makes a case for Scheffler Rahm and Hovland. Scheffler has everything going at the moment. Its one of those runs that will come to an end but I think he'll be hot for the season. Unbelievable off the tee last month and a good defensive putter. Hovlands as long as he finds a way to get up and down. 11th GIR this season. Rahms stats as far as the green are unreal this season 75% GIR. if he does that and putts positive SG.

Track record Spieth, good GIR this season, loves Augustas greens. He has a great chance.

Heart: Seamus/Shane/Rory/Paddy. Seamus and Shane to have good weeks, great ballstriking so far this year. Rory poor lad is all over the map. Too much baggage here and bad form coming in. He is his own worst enemy really. Paddy to enjoy himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory surprisingly has a decent record around there! 3 to 10's in the last 5 years! I still don't see him winning though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Couple of years old but a decent article on the whole 'lifetime exemption' thing, and when/why/how some players decided to give up.

Masters 2019: When is it time for a past champion to say goodbye? | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I wouldn't say Rory is all over the map. He just hasn't played a lot of golf this year. He has only played in 6 tournaments in 2022 and bar missing the cut last week he has had 2 top 10's and and 2 top 20's in 4 of the other 5 he played. He also had a win in Nevada at the CJ at the end of last year. His record at Augusta, for all the negative talk he gets around it is actually quite decent too. He has had a few top 10 finishes in the past few years.

Fair points although I think his good finishes in Augusta were mostly backdoor. His big chance was against Reed in 2018 which he didnt grasp at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,794 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best of luck to the Irish lads, hopefully they don't have a blow out rounds that ends their tournament. Should be an interesting few days.

Heart says Lowry or Mcllroy

Head says, JT or Cam Smith

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Can't wait and really excited to see Tiger back, i mean it's a miracle he can play 4 rounds around Augusta, the man is not human.

Love to see Lowry do well, and if not him a top European like Rahm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

koepka for me, think this is his year.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Anybody recommend a decent pub in Dublin that will be showing the golf over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Gary player ..bit of a beer belly , he would want to work out a bit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Raymond Floyd looks well for 79 tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think if somebody did that to Sandy, he'd kindly tell them to PFO and go on till he was 100 just out of spite

Advertisement