Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servants Demanding Private Sector Workers Be Fleeced (Again)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Actually, it's not that simple. Such schemes tend to be gamed by staff, so it is notoriously difficult to implement pay for performance schemes in such scenarios. But unless you're here representing DPER, you don't get to decide what will be the Agenda for talks. Every union has put inflation on the agenda for talks. Other employees need to do the same with their employers. People aren't going to get through this winter with food and heating costs going through the roof. Government needs to fix these issues, one way or other.

I don't think we've had negative inflation here in Ireland in my lifetime, not for any extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Just a few things you need to be aware of:

>If you are in the Public sector (and in the 40% bracket) and you get a €56 pay increase, you only receive €26 of this. The rest goes back to the government coffers. You pay a mandatory pension contribution (not a thing in the private sector) and an extra tax of ASC/PRD( i like to call this pleb tax)

>Staff costs are a cost the same as public water fluoridation, Rpad maintenance, school heatint and overheads. To suggest there would/should be zero inflation with regards to this cost would indicate that there would/should be zero inflation with regard to the others. You can't be this daft?

>Not increasing the pay for a public servant on 25k a year (clerical officer) simply means that nobody would work for the public service.

> Point above would inevitably result in privatisation which would result in the higher taxes as private companies aim to make profit. Public sector is not for profit for the most part.

> If there was no wage inflation in the public service, a clerical officer would earn €6,000 a year as they did in, say, 1987. This makes perfect sense?

>Countless private sector jobs are subsidized almost entirely by the tax payer. To say otherwise would make you a numpty. Are you a numpty? I'm not going to explain the IDA, working family allowance etc.

To sum up, stop being a sheep and/or numpty. Its annoying. I wrote the above without a second thought and could probably think of 46 other reasons why what you said is absolute nonsense. Alas, I must go and contribute to the public good at your expense apparently.

My take? Peg public sector pay and social welfare payments to inflation. Then maybe the numpties will stop whining.

Advertisement