Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National EV Charging Infrastructure Strategy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Eamon's first sentence: "With ever increasing numbers of EVs on Irish roads we need to stay ahead of charging thatdemand."

Who writes this stuff? Couple of pages later the document reiterates that the charging networks are actually ahead of demand at the moment and there has to be a plan in place to keep them ahead of demand approaching 2025.

Will be interesting to see what else pops up later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

ZEVI to be established by summer 2022

zero emission vehicles Ireland , as part of the dept for transport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Smart home charger requirement from 2023, as in wifi essential during install to get grant. This will push up prices, but will grant increase?! This is the case already in UK, but grant being phased out in uk. The intention is that later software updates may enable the esb networks to cut off charging in extreme circumstances or increase it if lots of wind

It's nice words. I am surprised some targets this year, it seems to be a plan 2022 to 2025 but I suspect any tenders or actual delivery of chargers on the ground are more likely 2023-2025. High power chargers alone may have a 6 month to one year lead time after ordering, let alone tender process, site selection, planning, ordering hardware, rollout. ESB networks also seems to have a delay of a few months to connect up the power after the chargers are in and ready.

I wonder will the new quango be part of seai or separate or part of department of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭innrain

Welcomed but I can't stop thinking "a new start over, a new delay". I'm shouting for a central framework since 2019 and so I really welcome this new thing. I diagonally red some parts and found good points and bad points but I'm very cynic they will actually happened. Like the LA grant will be renamed. Nothing happened in 3 years will something happen with a new name? Still appreciate the new developement even though is long overdue.

On the page 21: "At present, research into perceptions about the existing network indicates that for the most part the private citizen considers there to be an insufficient supply of publicly accessible charge points to meet the current level of demand. However, modelling conducted in the development of this strategy, which assumes an 80% rate of home charging, indicates that in reality the current supply of publicly accessible charge points will likely be adequate for the period out to 2025. With this shift to private refueling or recharging behaviour as EVs become more mainstream, there will be an equivalent shift in public perceptions regarding the frequency of recharging and dependence on public charging points."

Does this mean the current number of public charging points is considered sufficient up to 2025? I.e. the only issue at the moment is that perception of the current non-EV drivers that there are not enough public chargers is wrong and that actually no more are needed until 2025.

Are all the current BEV drivers really happy the way the networks currently work, never have to worry about getting a charge when on the road away from the home charger, and say 100000 new BEVs between now and 2025 won't cause any notable issues? Like it's enough to have one DC charger and a couple of AC ports in North Co. Clare?

This does not fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Remember - there's an open consultation - if you don't like (or disagree with) what's in the document - you can have your say now and have a chance to influence the outcome!

Great point! Thanks for the reminder. Get busy writing boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yet another strategy document with no clearly defined goals. No mention of number of chargers, distribution of hubs along main routes (every 50km or what?) or number of chargers per hub

Nothing about forcing charging providers to accept credit card payments at point of sale. In fact it was deliberately saying there should be "interoperability" in digital services which seems to indicate they're happy with the current system of everyone having a specific app with some access given to 3rd parties

No requirement to display base pricing at the chargers themselves

And nothing about monitoring key metrics on the network like uptime or usage, or customer satisfaction. No requirement for chargers to go free vend when the backend systems go down

They could literally install 0 chargers and still accomplish everything in that "strategy"

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Last time they did that with the microgeneration scheme they disregarded all of the comments saying they hadn't provided supporting evidence, even though as I recall there wasn't really any request or facility to provide such evidence

So I'm not particularly hopeful regarding the public consultation portion

Having said that, I'll be giving them my thoughts and I'll endeavour to provide specific examples for everything. I'd recommend others do the same where they can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe they consider the provision to be adequate until every point is in use 24/7. As long as there is any free at any time, you’ve got spare capacity, right? 😉

They'll consider it adequate until another party promises to roll out 10,000 HPCs if elected and gets ahead in the polls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Filled - for some reason there are two additional clicks at the end before it's submitted (Next and then Done). Just in case anyone completed the first page and thought it was submitted.

Interesting they actually asked for ideas for things to change or improve rather than using multiple choice questions to force people into canned answers

Out of interest, would anyone like to post their answers?

My suggestion of one thing to improve was to enforce standards around minimum power per location and quality of service

For the question of what could be done now I said all TII service stations should be equipped with at least 2 dual outlet chargers providing a minimum of 100kW per plug

For the suggestion of change to the policy I said there needs to be clear goals around number and type of chargers provided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thanks for the heads-up zg3409.

Here are my cog-notes.

12. Is the Strategy missing anything? Is there any one issue relating to EV charging infrastructure that has not been covered in the draft strategy and which you feel could usefully be considered?

The charging infrastructure needs to have an integrated management & monitoring system and an OPEN database system including a national electric vehicle charging database. Needs to be an open system so that vendors can be taken to task for QOS issues.

13. Is there one change to the draft strategy that you would like to suggest before the final strategy is produced?

The rollout needs to be a primary objective of ESBN and the national providers (currently ESB eCars) with mandates for the scale of deployment and with defined SLA's for installation. Monitor, measure and analyse against these SLA's up to ministerial level & report these publicly.

14. Is there one action that you would like the State to take first over the next three years in relation to EV charging infrastructure?

Perform an objective review of the ESB eCars network to date, plot their intended expansion trajectory. Compare & contrast this against the national need and existing user satisfaction. Review other compatible national roll-outs where the EV uptake is high.

I think you hit the nail on the head better than me @10-10-20 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

just filled the survey in, bumping it up the list so more people are aware of it

@liamog I wonder can we get this thread pinned until the consultation closes?

It seems in the interest of the whole EV community to get as many answers into the survey as possible

(Apologies in advance if you're the wrong mod to ask 😁)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Pinned it, I'd encourage everyone to provide feedback, especially ridiculing the bit where they claim the network is sufficient to 2025 based on modelling.

Thanks @liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Filled it in.

With charging at home, for me the only important thing is being able to charge at a base of fast chargers (ionity/tesla supercharger style) where there's redundancy built in. I'll pay extra for the privilege and I'll drive out of my way if I have to. The opposite approach which is driving somewhere far away hoping the whole time that a single charger (without backup) will hopefully be in working order when I arrive (and not iced) represents logistical foolishness and, as a father, it represents parental negligence if my daughter is in the car with me.

High powered chargers at "charging bases" where there's fault tolerance baked in with the number of chargers is priority for me and I'd imagine most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As someone who wants to get an ev but lives in a terraced house without off street parking, I'm most interested in the proposals for providing a charging solution for that demographic. Will give it a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I scan read the strategy paper. It's not a bad document. I was pleased to see it does acknowledge the lessons to learn from other countries with particular city case studies.

With 75% of drivers having off-street parking the charging focus in the next few years should be on high speed hubs along Motorways & major routes. Minimum 4, ideally 100kw+.

Suggested setting a deadline for it to be mandatory for all new chargers to offer contactless payment. January 2023?

With even Nissan finally abandoning Chademo with the Arriya, do not put any resources into additional Chademo fast chargers. Existing Leafs & Zoes will mainly become town cars which will always be able to use untethered AC charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They have this strategy advertised on twitter. Unfortunately when you click on it, it returns the result "page not found".

Not a great start to their campaign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

The new ZEVI department is supposed to be set up in “summer 2022”

Havent heard anything about it yet, have a query in with the Dept of Transport but no comment so far.

Anyone know if this is happening behind the scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So it seems it is proposed the "residential charging scheme" for those without off street parking is actually a scheme for local authorities to apply for funding and not for individuals. Can see that being complete disaster and getting tied up in local bureaucratic red tape and planning nonsense.

Advertisement