Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It does seem fairly slow going. I pass the works regularly and there's often very little going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone else get an information leaflet about this through their door? we got one on friday; we're probably 3 or 4km away as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think an understated benefit of this scheme is that they're going to build a cycle lane along the north side of the Tolka river as it passes Fairview park - this will really open up and connect the two sides of the park on either side of the rail line and make that undesirable no-go area under the railway bridge over the Tolka (on the north bank) far more attractive to park users.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I live a stone's throw from the main areas impacted and haven't received anything in the door since this all started.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's what we got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Thanks for sharing. The road closures are going to greatly increase traffic in Marino as well. Lots of people will turn off the malahide road and come through it to "beat" the traffic. Best of luck as it's extremely tight especially on Philipsburg avenue. Can't wait to see the final product and should make the cycle in to the office a lot more enjoyable.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Is there information on this anywhere? First I've heard of it.

Opening up that no-go area on Northside of river would be fantastic if done right. The area just needs some street lighting and maybe some CCTV?...

There's also plans just started for a Greenway along the Santry river from Santry demesne to bull island.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LOL that is going to drive the local cranks nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

I can't see easy diversions around this either to the east or to the west . For the Malahide road inbound perhaps Griffith Avenue and Swords road but both those are busy out anyway . East Wall will just terminate near the permanent mess that is the Beckett Bridge/Sheriff St junctions anyway

• Advertisement

If you look at the second picture of the leaflet (screenshots posted above), you'll see that section 5 highlighted in purple includes a link along the north bank of Tolka through Fairview all the way to Alfie Byrne Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Okay great thanks. It will be great when that's all done. Including the Greenway that Dublin Port are building around the port and including East Wall road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Was intrigued by this - I googled and came upon this video:

I thought that it looked the business, and the project must have momentum if they were commissioning videos of it - and then I saw the 2017 uploading date...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think the rage this road closure will cause on Dublin Live and Facebook etc should be investigated as an energy source that could be harnessed

The people of Ballybough are going to go mental too. They have to deal with all the extra traffic but none of the work is going to benefit them. No new trees, parklets or cycle lane for those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's the most hyper parochial view I've ever heard of, ballybough and the North strand are parallel to eachother and only about 250m apart. They're within eyeshot of eachother at most points. How could any investment happen on one and not benefit the other. It'll give people there easy cycling walking and bus access to the entire Dublin coast and docklands area

I think it's just people who want stuff for Ballybough itself, on the main roadway. They don't think it's fair that they aren't getting any of the planting mainly, but will have to take all the extra traffic. I think at the time, one person pointed out how few trees they actually have. And to be fair, it's an even worse kip than North Strand Road already.

No, there was a woman who's part of a local residents initiative that wasn't happy at all. Lots of complaining took place on a local facebook group when the works began earlier this year.

• Advertisement

there's always complaining on facebook, to be fair...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

On the jeweller guy. I passed by yesterday and none of the parking on that side of the road has been removed. All of the work is on the park side which never had parking anyway.

How was his business impacted exactly?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It wasn't! He announced the closure before a traffic cone had even been put on the ground (leading me to think that the shop was always going to close for whatever reason (presumably poor sales irrespective of anything transport related)).

giving he was selling the premises, it was an odd thing to go public.

'this cycle utopia is going to destroy my business because of where it is located. here, does someone want to buy the retail unit i've been using?'

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would be gas if someone opened a bike shop there! 🤣

BTW I'm aware there is a nice little bike shop just down the road from there, at the corner of Marino, in case anyone is looking for one in the area.

I think it's the main reason for facebook groups to be honest. 

😂

I can understand people wanting better things for their area. But I can't understand complaining when another close by area gets something, as is the case with the C2CC route.

There is four spots on the park side of the road, close to his shop, which will be removed after the works are complete. He said this was too many spaces removed, people needed those four spots across the road to park in, or they couldn't attend his shop apparently.

In reality, he was probably barely keeping his head above water. Covid probably had a big impact on business. And he just decided to cut his losses, and just go work for someone else. Which was probably a good decision for him. But rather than admit why his business was failing, he just decided to blame cyclists.

There's an insurance broker up at Annelsey Bridge doing the same thing, blaming cyclists. No complaints though about the two large apartment complexes being built right on his doorstep for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Private cars to be banned inbound from Dublin’s North Strand from Monday

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2022/08/03/private-cars-to-be-banned-inbound-from-dublins-north-strand-from-monday/

Paywalled for me. But I'd love to see the comments.

Pro troll Ray Shah already complaining on facebook too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Interesting thread. I'm a bicycle owner and user. But I don't own or wear Lycra while using the bike. I've often wondered where the angry and rule breaking cylists go when they lock up their bikes. It looks like I found the place . . . . . . This thread. I've only ever seen rudeness and entitlement (exhibited in this thread) in school playgrounds.

Advertisement