Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have a Moron-Deal Breaker Point of Reference with people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Cursing is OK now and again, it's the people that can hardly go 3 minutes with using the f word that annoy me , I don't care what t shirts people wear. I don't like people who are constantly virtue signalling posting images or logos, memes on social media Blm etc eg but they don't do anything in real life like go to a protest or make a donation

anyone that believes in conspiracy theory's you are thick or else very naive. Oh you read a few articles on a weird website or listened to a podcast and now your an expert on 5g covid etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭pgj2015

People/men (lets be honest) who fart loudly like its perfectly acceptable, even worse if they make a joke about it after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

People that brag about having no filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

People who want to import culture wars from the UK to fix non existent problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,557 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I get that. I thought you were either quoting yourself or endorsing a quote from a source outside boards because it didn't say the name of the poster or link to the quoted post.

Friendly tip, look both ways before crossing the road.

People who oppose change now and don't get that they would have also opposed change in the past.

Those who oppose changes in terms for things "I'll always call it X" or changing roles in society, or marginalised groups getting equal rights. They would always have opposed thnge in society. Always opposing things isn't about the specific issues, its a mindset. They would have opposed all the hot button issues of the recent past like civil rights, gay rights, equal suffrage for everyone and so on.

Sometimes the reasons are just recycled. Gay rights? But, shur if you give them equal rights, they'll start recruiting children.

Trans rights? But, shur if you give them equal they'll just start recruiting children.

They come up with reasons to oppose every change, but the reasons are secondary to the fundamental opposition to change. I generally don't get on with people who behave that way.

People who make an error but instead of acknowledging it, use silly and illogical reasoning to defend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who use the term 'mainstream media' are one thing, but when you get people using stuff like 'lamestream media' or 'fakestream media', you know they are far down the rabbithole of some f**ked up corners of the internet. You can throw 'cultural Marxism' in there as well.

People who express their personality really bluntly through their clothes. Like by wearing band names or movie franchises on their t-shirt. Fair enough if you're on your way to a concert BTW.

It's harmless enough but suggests a lack of actual personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 second toughest in the infants

People who leave their head the ball dogs off the lead around other walkers with their dogs and give the opening line of "she's just friendly" when their dog is being a pain in the arse for you and your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Yep,

“its ok shes harmless she wont harm you”

as the dog attempts to nibble on my ankle while I’m jogging/walking past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Band T-shirts are fine when going to a gig but you don’t want to be “that guy” who wears the shirt of the band they’re going to see.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Oh is that a thing amongst concert goers? You leanlrn something new every day. You wouldn't wear a tshirt of the band you're going to see? I wouldn't have guessed that's how it works. Would have thought it's more like going to a hurling match and wearing the team colours. But I suppose going to a concert isn't as adversarial.

Follow up question is what tshirt would you wear to a concert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Follow up question is what tshirt would you wear to a concert?

Some people would wear t-shirts of the band they are going to see but the cooler lads like EmmetSpiceland 😉 would wear t-shirts of similar but different bands. Personally, I've never wear a band t-shirt, although the friend that I usually go to gigs with buys one at most gigs. Whatever you're into...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I agree with everything on here, especially the "people with notions" reference.

A couple of months ago, I was talking to an auntie (married to my uncle). I had gotten engaged recently and it was still in that congratulatory phase. Now I wasn't expecting her to put on a show or anything, but all she was talking about was how great her kids are doing, without being prompted. The irony is, two of the kids are so snobby they aren't invited to the wedding (wouldn't be high-brow enough for them).

Another time I was at a party, and there was a fella of a similar ilk there. We were talking about something completely unrelated to our careers or achievements, and within a minute he managed to turn the subject to how well he was doing. I quietly left the discussion as he kept rabbiting on, and would spot him in at least three more conversations throughout the time I was there (I had to leave early), going on and on about the same thing.

One moronic thing I hate is people in pubs, usually of rugby persuasion, who bemoan how soft soccer players are, or how much tougher rugby players are compared to American football. Most of that type tend to not know the rules of their beloved sport, and only tune in during the Six Nations anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Where did I say I was trying to convince you that any one religion was the 'fountainhead' of misogyny or homophobia? You're putting words in my mouth.

Religions, by and large, include homophobic and misogynistic ideology in their texts and sermons. It's just a fact of religion. Any religion which relies on the bible de-facto falls into this category as it's contained within the primary source of their ideologies.

If someone I know says something homophobic, I will think badly of them. That does not mean I think they're the 'fountainhead' of all things homophobic - I don't know how you can infer that from my post.

Master of the Universe

There is no 'thinking' Star Trek is more important than Star Wars.

There is however knowing that Star Trek is more important than Star Wars. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I gave up buying band T-shirts in my mid 20’s when you realize that you are paying 20 - 25 quid for a 2 - 4 euro T-shirt with poor quality print that will last about 3 or 4 washes before they shrink, fade, rip or random holes appear …if you are lucky.

Reminds me, I still have about 8 of them at the bottom of a drawer somewhere..from the ‘90’s & ‘00’s

Master of the Universe

Some band tshirts were fantastic quality. I used to have a load from the 80s and 90s that lasted hundreds upon hundreds of washes.

Unfortunately though I reached an age a few years back where I felt like a bit of a sap wearing them and decided to axe them all from my wardrobe. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

This and anyone that doesn't think Second Toughest in the Infants is an absolute masterpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Sheeple like you need to wake up. Methinks you've been reading too much of George Soros' Irish Times.

People who say "methinks" instead of "I think".

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭ARX

People who refer to Micheál Martin as "Mehole Martin".

People who address you with "Yo!".

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭ARX

"Aus einem traurigen Arsch fährt nie ein fröhlicher Furz" - Martin Luther

("From a sad arse never comes a happy fart")

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Or those who say one instead of I "Where could one find...."

Think they are in a victorian novel or something.

Mehole is a good one. Let's you know the person follows politics in tabloid form and as a soap opera rather than as a serious business of determining the future history of the country.

Politics is presented as a soap opera where you don't even need to know much about how government and parliament work to have deeply held, inexorable opinions. Much the same way you can follow the premiership as a soap opera without knowing about tactical formations or player skills and form. I don't understand football (but I don't pretend to understand it either).

That's fine, but it's handy to know what level of discussion someone is capable of having and using "Mehole" let's you know that pretty quickly.

Yeah, they were not long grabbing hold of their dogs when I told them my lad would bite the head of them if they came near him🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who constantly use American slang, yo,, bro, you guys, lol, awesome, cool it just sounds strange when you talk like that with an Irish accent. People who look at their phone all the time when they are in a pub or a cafe , people who litter, i think you can be religious without being actually homophobic, that's a personal choice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If someone looks down their nose at someone else because they believe in a religion, then they instantly drop in my estimation as well.

Not religious myself but would never judge someone for being. It can be a great comfort in times of hardship or loss

• Registered Users Posts: 43 second toughest in the infants

I'd be the same. I'm not religious myself but to take the high road and look down at someone for being religious is a bit like a I'm smarter than you job which isn't an attractive quality in anybody.

Everybody is different and who knows who's right in this world. Each to their own I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

People who write 'could of'. Automatically filed under Dimbat.

People who only want to talk about themselves. Lots of those around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

People who cheat at sports.

• People who think they are superior or that others are inferior simply because of where they come from and that applies in Ireland as much as abroad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone who believes in and spreads complete lunatic yarns that are easily clarified as such with basic web searching, for example...

• Putting a cd on your windscreen to not get a speeding ticket
    • Typing in 999 when withdrawing money at an ATM to alert the police that you are being robbed
    • Putting petrol in your car in the morning when the temperature is cooler so as to give you megabucks more in fuel
    • Placing a €25 attachment on your fuel line to make the car get better mpg
    • Markings placed outside your home to indicate it will be a target to be robbed or not robbed based on whether you look loaded or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I would be anti religious, my girlfriend and family all are and I respect that and what they get from it..

the problem is religion looks down on a lot of other people and has indeed persecuted people for not being in adherence to its beliefs and values… so I look down on religion as opposed to people who believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Christine Neville

If someone says "I seen" or "I done" it often gives me the impression that they are easily influenced by peer pressure, or that they are trying to sound like they're the salt of the earth who's somehow being taken advantage of by the rich.

That's an interesting one. I seen and I done are pretty reliable indicators of education level, but I wouldn't have thought they indicated how easily influenced the person is.

Sounds like a bit of a leap, but might be have some logic to it. I wouldn't consider it reliable though. Someone could use i seen and i done and be clever, just unlikely to be highly educated.

Think about it. If they were actually that poor at English then they wouldn't be able to express themselves in all the other ways that they do. It's a pet hate of mine. I've heard these sorts once or twice on the radio being interviewed too, and noticed the following happen; the interviewer will ask something like "and what was it that you did?". Straight after this question you will hear them answer it by saying "what I done was...". That just seems stubborn to me. A lot of them would have spoke the correct way in school and then switched over to try and fit in with their peers.

I knew a lady who worked as a regional manager in security. She would always say "I done" and "I seen" when speaking to the security guards at the bottom. But one day I overheard her speaking to the company client, and low and behold she said it the correct way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's how Goldfinger got caught.

Donald Trump also cheats at golf.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I immediately dismiss anyone who says “holibobs/holibops” as a cretin.

I don't know. I'd see the regional manager example of trying to tailor the message to the audience rather than her being influenced by the audience. I wouldn't do that myself, but I think we all do it in different ways.

For example, I've worked in England. I never changed my accent one bit, but I annunciate more deliberately in England because otherwise i spend too much time repeating myself or not being fully understood. I'd see it as the same thing. If that manager had some insights or mistakenly thinks the message is better understood when she uses seen and done, then fair enough. Communication is about being understood (amongst other things).

If we assume the guard uses seen and done, then there might be advantages in communicating that way. I wouldn't do it, but I would assume it's tailoring the message to the audience rather then the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Trilby hats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Billcarson

People who keep voting for ff or fg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Gobsh1tes who feel a good/bad energy when they enter a room/house, usually combined with seeing angels, FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Covid conspiracy theorists and rabid antivaxers.

I don't share many of the opinions here for people that seems to take a pride in telling others they're not religious.

I admire people that have a quiet faith. Not to be confused with organised religion and the bat **** crazy elements of it.

I think the biggest sign of a moron is someones that thinks they know everything.

Einstein himself said feels like a child collecting grains of sand on the beach. There's so much more to know about everything. So bar talk about covid and vaccines, the war in Ukraine and the solution to the housing crisis and all politicians are corrupt are moron beacons

Speaking slower (as you did) isn't the same comparison at all. So you're saying that if the manager had said "I did this" to the guards that they'd be confused?! Come on? She was was doing it so that she could appear to be down with the victim mentality black and white thinking that the group of guards had at the time. It's a form of manipulation really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement