Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Have a Moron-Deal Breaker Point of Reference with people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Anyone who says "So what you're saying is" and then says something that you haven't come anywhere near saying. Plenty of those morons on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who watch and want to talk about Reality TV like Love Island or any of that shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

If you have to peel away what's on the surface in order to get to the good stuff, then maybe overall it's not so good?

There's definitely good messages in every religion I've encountered, but there's always bad too. Why do they choose to have the bad in there? There's no need.

I'd echo the above posters about conspiracy theorists. There's a hilarious Covid thread on here that was so busy, until the restrictions ended, then they all disappeared overnight. People who won't listen to reason are certainly to be avoided.

Anyone who publishes, distributes, and who writes for "The Irish Light"paper. Any loyal readership this publication may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

People who organize everything into different sections of their trolleys while doing the shopping, only to have to take it all out at the check out anyway. WTF is up with that.

Also people who pack their shopping bags at the tills rather than using the bag packing area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Between you and the OP who takes the same attitude to Mrs Brown's Boys, that is millions of people you are writing off as morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I do this. Well, I make sure to organise them into categories on the till belt. Then you can fire them into the bags (already set up) in the trolly and they're all ready to be put away when you get home. So the veg together, fridge stuff together, cupboard stuff, bathroom stuff etc. No mucking about shopping.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

People who complain endless and have nothing good to say about their parthner....

noone is forcing em to stay,complaining to me wont fix it

Also deeply deeply weary of the irish rugby supporting set,and would be a fairly massive red flag friendship wise for me

A serious deal breaker point of reference for me is when somebody without prompting starts talking about a time they screwed over somebody else, anybody else be it in a friend or service. Seen this in a few nutters down through the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone who claps like a performing seal when a plane lands should be fed into the still-running plane engines, the empty-headed dopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Mam loves Mrs. Brown's Boys. She's 74 and by your definition a moron. Funny, but I'd rather listen to someone having a laugh at even something as stupid as Mrs. Brown's boys than listen to the painful conspiracy type people ranting on about Government trying to control you and COVID being a mega media hype.

Post reminds me about the strange woman filming the census chap dropping in the Census and asking him for the contract between herself and the Government, thinking the Government is trying to control her by asking if she took a bike to work and how long it took her to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Always keep the chilled together away from other stuff when both picking and packing. Slows it absorbing heat from non-chilled and hence increases duration of time to spoiling. Basic thermodynamics, but maybe a moron am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭blackbox

...and keep the bread on top so that it doesn't get squashed.

• Advertisement

• I’m wary of Americans 😂 who can fall quite easily into the moronic class.

Theres truth in my above sentiment, but quite honestly I like to probe a person’s character a bit before I will come to a judgement, and that judgement is usually nuanced; very often I find people very irritating on one front but like them on another and I’m not short on telling people where they stand at any given moment with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

While being well read\educated is something to be encouraged, I find that intellectual arrogance or academic pomposity is a greater turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think being religious is ok as long as they don't expect everyone else to follow thier beliefs, people who just talk about sport , people who constantly talk about their kids, people who have large tattoos on neck, arms, people who use cocaine or hard drugs.

Yes theres people of faith who do good, help the homeless etc going to church can be a social activity as much as a religious one

people who complain about being short of money after spending 100 euros on one item, eg sneakers , brand name jumper

People who ll buy any thing if it has the apple logo on it

Anyone who promotes crypto , nfts, digital coins, ah sure who cares if it destroys the planet and speeds up global warming that's not my problem I need someone to buy coin x so I can cash out before they realise its worthless

I think it's OK not to be a sports fan as long as you read books or have some other interests music, tech etc

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well half of people do have below average intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Anyone who randomly uses bad language f word etc for no reason every few minutes, people who smoke cigarettes,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There was a time when I had the gall to correct people when they’d say things like ‘irregardless’. These days I try to hang on to every good person I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I wholeheartedly agree but then I'm one of those people who thanks the bus driver. Is that much different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What is moronic about someone's fashion sense? It boils down to personal preference. It's hardly indicative of an inability to think deeply about things.

Unless we're talking about the tribal aspect...

Public/Civil servants when they complain about how unfairly treated they are. Being at a dinner table with them makes me want to put ear plugs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Anyone who uses corporate speak phrases such as "I'll touch base" "Going forward" and "revert to me". It completely puts me off them. I find it hard to trust people like that, they come across to me as the kind of people who would trample over their own grannies to get ahead in life.

Many of above average intelligence watch reality TV.

Great deal breaker is every time you meet somebody they always remind everybody about their wonderful great accomplishment, be it GAA All-star 198-. or PhD holder BLA BLA BLA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

People who get to the checkout and then start looking for their card/cash/wallet.

Same goes for people in ATM queues. What did you expect to happen when you reached the top of the queue? The frikkin machine would read your mind and just give you the money???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Arguing in pubs about English football teams. I was having a quiet pint in a pub when the afters of a funeral were there also. One chap stormed out as he was getting grief from others that an English club across the sea lost.

Or a Chelsea fan in a pub in Athlone singing about being a headhunter, a notorious gang of hooligans known for being anti-Irish and right wing views. He had no understanding what he was saying

Don’t forget to say “we won” though locals think you are a daytripping tourist at best, thanks for your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As expected, this thread has descended into multiple iterations of:

Poster A: I find people who do X to be the absolute *worst*

Poster B: Well *I* find people who don't do X to be even more tiresome...

Repeat ad nauseum.

People who moan "I'm a taxpayer. My taxes pay your wages" at civil and public servants.

As if civil and public servants aren't taxpayers too.

🙄

It didn't have to descend very far, after the opening effort.

Morons each time you mention how you remember a certain event are triggered have to correct you and force down everyone else's throat THEIR OWN VERSION of the same event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Those who say Pacific when they mean specific.

People who believe the most important deals can be hammered out over a cup of tea and a biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,079 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's grand if you don't like it. But it's the "i'de never watch that sht. Just a bunch of lads kicking a ball" experts who have never tried to watch or play the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,079 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What if they are trying to control you by using Ms. Browns Boys 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

oh yeah that reminds me.. people who bang on about wokies etc (or the preferred spelling WOKE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Anyone who uses the term "woke". I've never seen it typed (it tends not to be uttered out loud very much) by anyone who doesn't come across as an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Taking the Catholic church for instance. It's an institution, and institutions have power structures and hierarchy - and inevitably, hierarchies can at times get corrupted by the ambitious.

That is not to say the the institution itself is wrong, and certainly not the underlying faith.

To me, it's equivalent to seeing a corrupted government and concluding that all governments are corrupt, and no good can come from institutionalised government (I'm aware there are fringe people that would actually argue that, I just believe they're dead wrong).

You must have seen it typed on this thread?

• Advertisement

Could Agnes Browne be Miceal Martin in disguise, pedalling misinformation. 🤣

And Leo is the son!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Think we'd agree on all of that, the institutions corrupt the original message and end up doing a lot of bad in the name of something good.

However, the original message still has bad in it, and the followers still choose to follow it. (the weirder stuff in Leviticus and Deuteronomy springs to mind, slaves/masters and no penis = no heaven etc) That's the bit I find moronic. That someone would choose a religion to guide their life by, with bits that are quite obviously crazy. Then just ignore those bits, as if they don't exist. It's an odd choice when you consider it along those terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Scientifically undiscovered things are not supernatural, they're just undiscovered.

The supernatural are things that fall outside the realms of science and this world. Ghosts, faeries, dragons, divination etc.

The main difference between the two is, in the first instance, science should eventually stumble across the undiscovered thing.

In the second instance it never will as it's complete and utter horse ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Generally a word that is used to criticise what are known as the 'Wokerati', wokies by me.... and their aims...

People who endlessly advocate that a certain section of society should bend over to facilitate others by compromising our own wellbeing by advocating that housing, healthcare, finances, and a list of other free and otherwise benefits should be enabled to people who should not be of the entitlement to receive it...ahead of taxpayers and citizens in need. I've no problem helping but not ahead of taxpayers who need it and pay for the privilege ..

woke started off as a racial social injustice movement buy its gone the other way... a completely unjust and unjustifiable bunch of whingers who advocate people work and pay tax but will rarely benefit and be In fact discriminated against..when they need help or services..

That makes me an idiot in someones eyes I can live with that... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anti-vaxxers, and conspiracy theorists! They're still around. I thought they'd gone away. I was back in the gym yesterday after a 3 week hiatus due to Covid. Some lad who I know from seeing in the gym, commented on not seeing me for the last 3 weeks. I told him, 'I had Covid, so was a bit bollixed'. It seemed to trigger him. 'See the numbers in hospitals with Covid are ticking up' he says. 'It's all down to people taking the vaccine', he continues. I didn't interlude. 'Yeah, they're going in with all sorts of ailments, down to the protein spike in the vaccine' he says. I looked at him funny, but I didn't say anything. He continues 'Look I'm not against vaccines, I've been boosted myself, but they're not telling us the truth'.

I finally got to reply, 'listen pal, you're talking through your arse. I'm married to someone who works in Beaumont, and I can tell you now, people aren't being treated in hospitals, because of the protein spike in the vaccine, now enjoy your day', and I walked away

Room 101 for morons like that

• Advertisement
Advertisement