Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 125

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I've a VStrom 650, "all the bike you'll ever need"....of course you'll "want" more but..... cheap(ish), bulletproof (it seems, on the go a long time and great rep), suitable for t'bigger lad, fairly upright position for comfort, viewing over ditches and what not. If you'd any yearning for light offroad you could get there without much expense or hassle (bogger farm roads, bog roads it can handle without modification and with road tyres). Plenty grunt to get you to motorway speeds & well beyond, snappy overtaking on 2 lane roads. Learner friendly in the sense that its very linear power delivery, i.e. you wont happen upon the "powerband" where it takes off abruptly and scares they bejaysus out of you. All depends on whether you like the look of it, that "adventure/upright" style. It is not the sexiest thing ever born but for hooring around the country on, you couldn't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Both of those look the dog's danglies. I like the uprigth stance as it allows me to see what fuckery is unfolding up ahead.

Not remotely interested in the lie on the tank, hedge-seeking missiles.

Now, how to break it to the missus that i've found the perfect outlet for my third mid-life crisis and how does she feel about being a biker's b**ch.

i may or may not be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

IMO there's a lot to be said for the yamaha mt07/09 (I'd probably have one myself if I wasn't such a HD fanboy! Although I may get one yet!)

I did my IBT and test on an mt07 found it very light and easy to handle, also with 700cc you may never grow out of it either. The traver version would be ideal if you fancy longer motorway spins.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Double check that that's not an A with a qualifying code beside it e.g. 79.03.

If there is, its not an A motorcycle licence, its a Trike licence.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Haha, you're right. Boy that could have been embarrassing.

So I have to go through the whole thing, CBT, A1 licence, test, CBT, A2 licence and test?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

You need to

Apply for Learner Permit for Category A - No need to go for the lower categories

Once you have that you need to do your IBT Training, usually 2 days (1 in a compound, 1 on the road)

Once that's done you are issued with an IBT cert which means you can legally ride on the roads for 2 years, during which time you should be applying for your test

cheers. That makes a bit more sense. I don't have to restrict the bike in any way while i am a learner or Novice?

No the Full Category A Permit allows you anything,

Honestly at your age you should be well able for a Cat A bike, doesn't have to be a rocketship but you won't get bored as easily as you would on something small.

At least once you have done your IBT you will know if you really want a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which classes did you apply for on your learner permit? As you're over 24 you're allowed to apply for all of them and ride any bike you like unrestricted once you have done the appropriate IBT. If you need to get a class added to your LP then you'll have to contact NDLS, costs something like €15 iirc. Worth doing though, even if you don't want a full A bike right now.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

For a first off learner bike I would buy second hand, it's going to fall at some stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is the way it was in the 1990s. It is based on power output now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Thanks. Not sure what I applied for tbh, they never mentioned it at the NDLC.

I’ll see what they send me and upgrade if needs be.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

That is the way it was in the 1990s. It is based on power output now.

Only if you're aged under 24, at 24 or over anyone can apply for a class A learner permit with no power or cc restriction.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Not the most popular bike ever built in the world for no reason. Simple to ride, legendary reliability, incredibly fuel efficient.

I enquired about a 2nd hand one in a honda dealership last year and the salesman told me he couldn't get them for love or money, and that he would be waiting a few months for new ones to come in from Honda, and that these would all be sold before he took delivery.

There's an old saying when buying motors of all kind - The day you buy is the day you sell. - If you were to buy one of these, the salesmen will take your arm off if you want to trade it in for something else down the road as they know they can offload it in a heartbeat, whereas most other bikes will be hharder for them to shift, so they'll be ess anxious to do business

Supply, demand, and collectors will do that. It says nothing about the merits of the machine itself.

Life ain't always empty.

Went to look at the Meteor 350 today.

Really nice bike, nearly pulled the trigger there and then but decided to hold off for a few days to check out other options.

Getting the Meteor in the Limerick store.

Coming in €200 cheaper than bikeworld.

€5995 for the higher spec bike as opposed to €6200 from bikeworld.

Can I ask where everyone gets their gear from. Not looking for anything high end just something basic to get me going, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think it was Limerick that the yellow meteor I posted earlier was bought too.

Had they any gear at that shop and would they do a deal on it for you?

I assume most shops will have something to cater for your budget but if you don't have much experience buying gear make sure the shop assistant aides you properly.

for gear https://www.xlmoto.ie/ looks like they have decent stuff for decent prices. although make sure you have a good tape measure for checking sizes before you order.

• Advertisement

Yep, I’ve ordered a few bits from that site alright.

Have my IBT booked for the 19th of this month so hoping they arrive before then.

All I had for my IBT was a helmet!

Instructor gave me a jacket to use for the 2 days as I didn't want to rush out buying stuff until I had an idea what I needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Good man, the Meteor is a cracking looking bike!

Update time.

IBT completed yesterday. Went great.

Obtained a quote from C. Nash. €387 TPFT.

Will ring more today.

Bike should be arriving in the next few days.

Sh1t getting real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Congrats!

Thats a pretty cheap quote!

my friend got shafted on her quote for a Honda Shadow 600 due to age and location. I think she's paying nearly two grand. But she hasn't secure private parking and is 25. **** shite.

Jaysus that's rough!

Principal just quoted me €375. I'll let yis all know how I get on with AXA..........

The eagle has landed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When you're buying online, you can generally get about 10% off by signing up to their newsletter (various online retailers)... do this and order a bunch of stuff at the same time, probably cutting the shipping billing or getting rid of it altogether...

Advertisement