Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 125

Options
  • 28-03-2022 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I’m going through the process of getting on to the two wheelers. Complete novice, learner permit on the way.

I’ve decided to go for a new bike straight off.

Can someone recommend a good, new 125cc bike please. Something practical. For reference I like the look of the Suzuki GN 125 but don’t think they are in production anymore.

Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is 125cc still a category? If A2 you could go for a 350 or 400... There'd be lots of good options

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I know a lad kinda starting out( he had a scooter years ago) that has bought one of these Royal Enfield Meteor 350.

He's delighted with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am on a Meteor 350 too and got to say I love it. Most of my riding is urban and then on the mountain roads for pleasure. Its a light bike and very maneuverable. And is very well built and steady and well balanced. Easy to ride.

Its ok for motorway riding but seems to have a limiter that prevents going faster than 125kph. I would not be spending more than an hour on the motorway though as a non-faired bike it is hard work at speed.

As a learner going for a 125 seems the safe bet at first. But the reality is that after a few weeks of learning on it you will be wanting something bigger. So if you must then perhaps start off with a cheapo second hand 125 and then sell it on after a few months. But I would suggest going with a bigger bike from the outset. Challenge yourself. You will be much happier in the medium term!

Go visit a dealer and sit on a few bikes. Some will seem too small, some will seem too big. But some will feel just right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

As a learner(on a learner permit) I thought the max i can go for is 125cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

A friend of mine is struggling to find a bike she likes and trying to persuade her to give up on the second hand market and get one of these on a monthly payment scheme.

You pay slightly more over the space of a year, but if she paid half up front, which is 3/4 of her budget and then the rest over the 12 months at €259 a month then she'd have a brand new bike with a shop warranty.

She only pays about €150 more as well than if she had the full €6000 up front.

I'm getting these values off of the Royal Enfield irish page btw and then using Humm's website (Was Flexifi)

But to me this is the better option as it means for has the other 1/4 of her budget to put towards something else (like fuel) and a shop warranty is easily worth €150, same with having a brand new bike you know won't have hidden issues from a previous owner gunning it with low oil

Yes, but its not red-lining at that speed so it looks like it is electronically speed-limited in some way.

depends on your age.

if your 24 or older you can do a Direct entry module to Cat A bikes

ism.ie/driving-school/motorbike-lessons/#categories

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info folks.

I'm 47, theory test passed and learner permit en route.

Would i be right in saying that I can book an IBT for an A2 license? I could then work away on bike similar to Enfield above.

Sorry for the stupid questions..........

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

At 47 you can go straight for an A license and get whatever bike you like!

Provided you can insure it of course!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

But what can I get whilst im on a learner permit? Is it decided by which IBT i book?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's the lack or horsepower and torque that limits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

The bike is only limited by the catagory of permit you have, not the fact thats it a learner permit.

I started on a 600 bandit with a learner permit at 28, mate of mine started on a cbr600rr! Took a good few insurance phone calls for that one!

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

I'm 45, did my IBT in September, just got myself a 750cc, the difference in cost wasn't enough to make me go for a cheaper option... I'm happy with my decision... if you select the right bike, it's not intimidating. I'm no speed demon (in fact for the moment I'm like an old granny rider) and I'm not after pure power, but this bike is good and strong and gives me confidence... Very glad I didn't go for something smaller.

I plan to keep this bike for the long term. The idea of going up through the cc's doesn't appeal to me.

If the op could give a bit more detail. Age,size ,type of riding bike is wanted for etc.

They mentioned gn125.

The meteor would be a step up from that anyway.

And not too much for a novice.

Hi blade,

I'm 47, 6ft tall and I'm looking for something mainly for just tipping around and good for the odd long weekend spin.

I did my theory test for Motorcycles/Mopeds and have applied for and am awaiting on delivery of the learner permit.

It's at this stage where I'm still confused. Is there different categories of actual learner permits. I just booked the appoint at my local center, showed them my paper work which they processed. They told me my learner permit will arrive in 5-10 working days. I don't recall mention of a "category" of permit so is this determined by my age etc and issued automatically.

Or does the type of IBT booked determine the category of permit I hold?

Thanks again.....

Forget about a 125 so 👍

Do the IBT on a Cat A bike... You have options to go for smaller capacity, but they will limit you in the future... Just do the full A Category, then it's up to you what size bike you are comfortable on. But you do need to do the test on a bike that suits the category you select... There lower categories are no easier to pass and take just as much work as the full A, so just bypass them...

AM Mopeds and light quadricycles. 16 years

A1 Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cc, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. Motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW. 16 years

A2 Motorcycles with a power rating not exceeding 35 kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. 18 years

A Motorcycles and motor tricycles. 24 years or 20 with progressive access (motorbikes)

• Advertisement

Eureka!!!!!!!

Thanks lads.....

I got a 800cc BMW as my first bike at 30 after my IBT, insurance was still far cheaper than my car and I get more use out of the bike by alot.

Btw engine capacity doesn't always dictate the actual power output, at 800cc my BMW is still only 53kw, compared to other 800cc bikes which will have a higher output.

But I do have a **** tonne of torque without needing to rev hard

If you were going 125cc you could go with a K-Light. They're cheap and cheerful for brand new bikes:

But as others have said, you'd likely outgrow it. I've a 250cc (Benelli bn251) and although I only have it a couple of months, I can see why some people (especially if you commute on it) would outgrow it by now. For me, personally, it's perfect (I just doddle about around the town and such, and rarely even see a lengthy N road).

I think the issue with some of these bikes is that they are perhaps physically small? I think you said you're 6ft. Maybe you'd need a bigger bike (perhaps an adventure style one like the Benelli TR500X (https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/new-benelli-trk-502x/30605015).

(I'm not saying go for that specific bike, but just something along those lines might be more comfortable? I'm just using that as an example as I was at a Benelli dealers and they're really the only bikes I've had a proper look at in person). I think there's a Suzuki Vstrom which is similar, but presumably megabucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

You are better off going for the A license and get a 600cc naked bike to start with. Especially with being 6ft tall you will be very uncomfortable on a small cc bike. I would suggest a Bandit 650 (2007 onwards with fuel injection), Fazer 6 or 8, XJ6, CBF600 or a Hornet 600 etc

They are all reliable good bikes with decent power to get you out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Yes. The Bandit 650 or Hornet 600 are both great starter bikes and will keep you happy for a long time.

The FZ1 is also nice but could be a bit intimidating with the 1000cc engine and insurance might be an issue as well.

I just imported a 2019 Moto Guzzi V7 in pristine condition form Germany for just over 7k (all in)... Not saying my bike choice is best for you, but for the price it seems like a bargain against whats available second hand here...

The Royal Enfield posted above is the string favourite st the moment.

I’m going to visit a few dealers this weekend to check out other options. I’ll let yis know how I get on.

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

At your age you can get whatever you like, so that's exactly what I'd do : get something you LIKE. Forget power, bhp, torque. Buy what takes your fancy, does what you want, and is good to learn on, and which fits you well (none of us re 16 anymore !) .

I think a nice A2 bike, of which there are many, are ideal.

Once you have that and you've passed your test, you can move up to an A at your ease (if ever), just by doing a Mod 5 training session: no more test(s) needed. A2 has the advantage of a lot of nice bikes that the horsepower crowd look past: CB500F/X to name just one, but NC700/750 are another. Several Enfields if you like traditional looks and seem fair value. Loads of BMW's too.

The world is literally your oyster on this one. Enjoy it: it'll be a hoot.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

This I did not know. I checked my licence there and it appears I have the A multipass. Result!

Away with me to the bike shop!

Recommend me something for a 50-ish 6'3" bogger with a bit of a beer gut for hooring around the country on, like.

(might do a few lessons beforehand tho')

Advertisement