Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning bitterly cold Wednesday 30th on, sleet and snow potential, frost/ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

An April Sunday brings the snow

Making the blossom on the plum trees green,

Not white. An hour or two, and it will go.

• Philip Larkin

Lovely sunny morning here in Mayo, finding it hard to believe we'll see snow this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

So you want to restrict when people can have their heating on because rationing hasn't started yet.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

While the upcoming cold is moderate at 6 or 7c there will be some further pulses during early April which might bring Wintry showers.

The next 7 to 10 days will be single figures most days.

No point attacking a person for setting up a thread. This is a weather forum after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Slightly off topic regarding this particular thread but still same subject matter but if we are to get further pulses of cold arctic blasts into April, we are getting to that time of year when a combination of very cold upper air from the north combined with solar radiation increasing greatly week by week, can result in some fantastic convection.

Whilst the ground level temperature may be quite cool or even cold during April afternoons with polar blasts, any prolonged sunshine that occurs with an unstable northerly can create very decent thermals which can reach good heights as they quickly reach the very cold layers above.

In short, classic style April showers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well we're one on the verge of it, and my original point was there's no need to have the heating on all the time during mar to oct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now that's a tad harsh, the clue in the title is potential. You must have missed that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Some very harsh comments definitely going around which are extremely unfair. Kirmit will always make these most enjoyable posts when there is potential for cold and snow but as this is Ireland it doesn't always deliver, but as long as the potential is there, it is worth mentioning.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to post much in the past week as I have covid and my father is ill in hospital with covid so my attention is more on that than the weather at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Wishing your father a speedy recovery. Keep well Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Cold weather and no snow is probably as bad as it gets this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like we will miss out on this, while parts of England could have a decent dumping. Still, with the possibilities of reloads on some models, we may get some heavy snow and hail showers in the run up to Easter. Even though it's too late for snow to stick around , i would give anything for an April snow storm akin to the ones experienced in 1917 and 1933 to happen this April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Plus he called the 2018 snow, when others gave up and said nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All the best Gonzo.

Tomorrow the last of the Spring like weather for a while though a few showers in the east. Big change for Wednesday onward, a messy band of rain, sleet and snow sinking south. Temperatures starting out quite good Wednesday morning but down to low to mid single figures for most by late afternoon.

The sun is reasonably strong now so not feeling too bad if sheltered from the cold wind in the east later in the week but it's night time temperatures that will be noticeable (temperatures inland down to -5 or -6c in some places) and frosts returning away from windward east coasts so something for gardeners to be aware of.

Not looking at any disruptive weather at this stage. Some sleet and snow showers possible in the east for a time after that wintry mix clears on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Wouldn’t mind swapping with ye all the same. These are the upcoming temperatures in my corner of Canada:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Snowed 27 march 2013. Have photo of my son playing in it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 feirmeoir101

All the best to your father, I enjoy your posts here, surprisingly warm already in the sun here this morning in the West. The coming week looks cold at night but reasonable enough during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Best wishes to you and your dad Gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

I never comment here but always turn to these threads when the weather gets interesting.

Just wanted to agree with others that Kermit's and Gonzo's comments are much appreciated and of course to wish Gonzo and his father all the best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Like to echo what others have expressed and wish Gonzo and his Father and all others affected by illness at this time a speedy recovery.

Like others have also said thanks to Kermit for taking the time and bother to start the thread.

Here comes the colder airmass. Not bad temp wise down in Southern counties tomorrow, much colder further North, cloudy day for the most part until cloud clears overnight into Thurs. Foggy around the country tomorrow, no fog warnings in place, will they be issued later ?? A few wintry showers over mountains. Widespread frost Weds night into Thurs followed by wintry showers (possibly light enough) and bright spells, cant imagine much snow falling or settling for long on Thurs apart from the highest terrain, very localized but mainly in the the N , E, SE of the country if any. Another frosty night Thurs into Fri morning. Fri looking mostly dry cold and bright for good parts of the country until cloud spreads into the N later.

Overall very little precipitation. A few white mountain tops on Fri in good sunshine might make for good photography.

So tonight's the night folks, have hot water bottles at the ready😚

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

feels colder already the aran jumper will be making an appearance !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Despite being a total ignoramus when it comes to the weather charts, I just LOVE Kermit's weather threads. Sorry Kermit, I know that's hardly a recommendation, but my heart's in the right place. While I'm here, best wishes to Gonzo and his dad. With a bit of luck it'll be like my own flirtation with Covid, not too severe, but lasted a little longer than your ordinary cold.

anyway, as this appears to be coming from the East (isn't it???), as luck would have it, I'm travelling to Bath tomorrow. If there's fabulous winter wonderland scenes over there, I'll post photos here when I get back. IF I get back.....😮

🤣

edit: ok, its NOT the East as I discovered when I scrolled back up to Meteorite58's charts. (Just reinforcing my inability to interpret stuff).

Post edited by NickNickleby on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I like cold

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

i like rain, hope it rains, seems like an eternity now - we must be into drought territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another very pleasant day in Cork, March has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Drizzly rain on and off here this afternoon, feeling cold @ 5.8C in south Dublin, at least at these temps there is no hope, if it was January it would probably be 2c here and ...drizzly rain...

Hoping it warms up again for Easter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Cloudscape looking towards the Irish sea courtesy of the artic air here near Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Heavy Hail in Bray the last 15 minutes. Paths white.

Advertisement