Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning bitterly cold Wednesday 30th on, sleet and snow potential, frost/ice

Options
  • 25-03-2022 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

This is a few days out but we are looking at a seismic change in the weather probably from Wednesday. People really feeling it this time after the recent Spring like weather.

Some really cold air becoming entrenched in a biting northeasterly wind from midweek.

Potential hazards:

• Cold temperature
    • Snowfall
    • Frost/Ice

The charts will be back and forth the next couple of days but there is a lot of consistency at a reasonable timeframe that things are going to get a lot colder.

Looking at sharp frosts and icey conditions inland and a scattering of potentially heavy hail, sleet and snow showers. The details on the precipitation will become clearer over the weekend. It looks good for some snow at the moment. The trend is that way. I also wouldn't rule out a frontal snow event developing at some point.

Temperatures look to really struggle to, at best, mid single figures through Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. And of course very cold nights.

So let's see where this goes!! I'm not saying i'm excited, but i'm excited 😎

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Wednesday 16th???

EDIT: Corrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

😄 Yeah not that far out 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

As my mother used to say, nothing as bad as a long cold bright day when the ewes are yeaning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quite normal as I remember it being 2c in April a couple of years ago with snow on the ground. Considering our Winters seem to only start in February nowadays April is probably the olden days equivalent of February. Also quite normal for Ireland to be punished for getting warm pleasant weather. The cheek of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So no rush to start planting my spuds and onions then. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That was my first thought, the ewes and lambing in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Feck. Was starting to enjoy the warmer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Looking forward to this 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Looks like it is turning to rain/sleet for the Naas area. Will see how it changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Next Friday before the east coast sees anything of note temp wise as far as I can see?

This thread feels premature or maybe my bias is blinding me as I'm very much done with winter now. I've had the shorts on all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is gonna be a shock to my system when I arrive in on Wednesday morning from the UAE 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Put your head out the window of the plane on the way over to acclimatise 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The ECM 12z is showing a band of rain sinking down the country from the north on Thursday turning to snow over the east as it begins to clear off and strong winds too. It'd be interesting if it verified!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Winter is coming....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just like last April, many eastern and some southern areas could see their first snow next week after a snowless winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could be looking at potential orange warnings for snowfall later next week. Still ample time for changes either upgrades or downgrades.

On track overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother of God.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Winter 2020-21 was snowier than most recent winters though. Here we had lying snow on December 31st 2020, January 7th/24th 2021, and a few more days during the February 2021 easterly. It was the first winter to bring lying snow in all 3 winter months since at least 2009-10, although all of them were dustings apart from January 24th, which brought a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

2017-18 was the snowiest winter I can remember.

It's gonna be some shock to the system the week ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Normally I’d be expecting the above chart posted by Kermit to go pear shaped and for downgrades to appear but of course now that we are almost in April and very few of us want snow at this time of year, I just know that chart will come to fruition!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

We have one bag of turf left and only a couple of litres of oil. Had hoped the heating could stay off …….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

God I remember that winter, we'd just moved into our new house that only had a small wood burner in the sitting room for heat. We got 3 dumpings of snow that year....that was cold 🥶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Kerosene at record high prices. Smokeless coal at record high prices. As for electric prices?Shudder.

A shock to the system. Some say.

A shock to the wallet more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

have the hot water bottle at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've no problem with the hot water bottle or layering up. It's what we do anyway. But for some..............

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

all central heating should be switched off from April 1st to Oct 31st, we're in wartime rationing after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Love these sudden spring switch arounds. From summer like weather back to winter. I know any snowfall in April is pretty useless but I like the novelty factor of it .

Advertisement