Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picard 2x04 - 'Watcher' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's been a while but Bus Punk doesn't have to contradict anything. It's a fun gag - maybe he rubbed his neck because he was tired. The pinch was inferred by the audience but not explicitly confirmed. It still allows for a Confederation timeline where the TNG crew never went back because there was no Federation to come back from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The weakest episode of the lot. Pretty rubbish to be honest, mostly down to that lame car chase being a transparent attempt at Action! that served zero purpose. And maybe if the banter dialogue wasn't so awful, or the direction so limp I'd have enjoyed it more. While the Jurati material was meh; I don't buy into this idea she's some wilting, lonely figure - not when we're told she had a fling with Rios. That not bad going. But she's a nerd so I guess she's supposed to be lonely all the time, according to the Network TV Gods? I dunno, it's a bit shít.

The Guinan stuff I wasn't sure of, but I don't think it's egregious. Picard's namedrop caused an immediate about turn which says to me she didn't recognise him at first (he's much older than the Picard she met), but remembered meeting the captain from before. Or, it's simply that in her timeline the Federation never happens, so Picard never went back in time to meet her. Either way it didn't seem like a canon goof.

Already a bit sick of the Watcher stuff. Ooh it's Not-Laris. Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree it was the weakest episode but the only bit you mentioned that I hate was the car chase. I mostly think it was weak because it seemed like filler.

Jurati and Rios we learned a bit about and it built on their story for this season but Picard and 7 just went through absolutely needless adventures to get from A to B when it could have been done in seconds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Car chases or equivalent are often done poorly in sci-fi shows because they seem to be trying desperately to shoe-horn in something I'd associate with a modern cop show. This one was dull but it wasn't nearly as bad as what we saw in 'The Book of Boba Fett'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boba Fett's chase was especially awful, and much like this one, you could see at several points where frenetic directing was trying to hide the fact the vehicles were moving at about 20kph. I was too busy laughing at the Power Ranger moped gang though to care too much - whereas here the shíte directing of "woo shake the camera!!!" was píssing me off, combined with the awful patter between Raffi and Seven. As @breezy1985 said, it was all nothing but limp filler - the modern equivalent of that parrot in Citizen Kane; wake up! Action scene!

Also the pointless nature of it. There were always going to fix the transporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I haven't seen the Boba Fett mod gang scene yet but pictures were enough to have me in stitches

Fett has a few mis-steps but that mid gang was horrendous. Ruins the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just catching up on these, and while this season is much better, this episode was pretty poor.

Theres been a lot of discussion about why Times Arrow wasn’t referenced, paradoxes, causality loops etc. But I reckon the real reason it wasn’t mentioned is that you would have had to have seen Times Arrow for it to make sense, or there would have needed to be a significant exposition dump.

It’s a prime example of thing that’s annoyed me about the whole series. Take some old characters the fans will love and put them in situations completely removed from starfleet so we don’t have to deal with continuity, instead putting in little nods to the TNG era like saying Dixon Hill or Garak or whatever. Its a show that doesn’t want people who haven’t seen TNG to be lost so consequences from that era are to be ignored.

In the US this is on Paramount+ which has all the star treks to stream I think, and it would have been much better to have Guinan recognise him with a line about SF and then suggest Times Arrow to the person so they could get the background on it.

And don’t get me started on 10 Forward St!

Advertisement