Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swing Speed Sensors

Options
  • 22-03-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a device that I could take to the range that would measure my swing speed and distances for each club.

I don’t want to spend a fortune, what are the options out there for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You'd pick up a second hand PRGR for about €150.

Can't go wrong with one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Cheers El Guapo I’ll have a look at that.

On the same subject, I’ve been getting adds for Arccos Caddie recently. I suppose it would be expensive going down that route. With new grips, sensors, the unit and then the subscription fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

You don't need new grips, the sensors twist into your existing grips. Theres no 'unit' as such unless you buy the caddie link which you don't need, you can use your phone in your left pocket or Apple Watch to perform the same function as the caddy link. I have the caddy link and use it for handiness but have used the Apple Watch without any issues in the past when I forgot the link. The subscription is pricey but if you have PING clubs and I think TM new clubs you get a free subscription for 3 months plus can get the sensors for free too. I used it for a few weeks towards the end of last season and its a great system IMO. App is great and I'm looking forward to a full season of stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Take a look at Shot Scope also. There's no subscription and you just stick the tags into the top of the grip (you'd barely notice them tbh). There's a GPS watch you can wear or they've also brought out a unit that can clip on your bag or just stick it in your pocket for registering shots. It all downloads onto an app after the round and you can edit/add shots, see your round on satellite view etc etc. I don't know how it compares in detail to Arccos but I'd guess its pretty similar. You get all your normal stats and strokes gained which is interesting.

I've no connection to them at all, but find the system excellent for my needs/wants.

Edit: another vote for the PRGR monitor, excellent value.

• Advertisement

Who does the arccos gear in Ireland. I don’t see it on McGuirks or halpennys.

They're direct to consumer brand as far as I know. The Shotscope @Russman mentioned is also very good, know someone with it and it works pretty similarly to Arccos but the stats aren't quite as detailed and they only just added strokes gained data, I'm sure it will continue to improve though and its definitely better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was considering the Shotscope setup myself. If anyone is interested, I saw Dan Hendrickson has partnered with them and is doing a specific "stats series" on his YouTube channel.

Bear in mind, it is a paid partnership so he's gonna say they're the best thing since sliced bread anyway, but the videos so far give a very good detailed description of how the system works and of all the metrics available. Worth a watch.

Yeah I watched a bit of Dan, he used to do videos with Mark Crossfield.

I see there are some free apps for iPhone but I don’t think they are too reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

If based in Dublin Leopardstown Driving range have an impressive Trackman setup in every bay and I think only charge €10 for bucket of balls before 2pm. Ideal and inexpensive for club gapping or testing new gear. I am sure there are other similar setups around the country.

• Advertisement

Not in Dublin, that sounds like a great set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Rapsodo seems to be fairly good.

Just googled it there, €499 in McGuirks. Little bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Curious to know how you use the information provided by these devices.

So, I get the distances from various clubs. But swing speed, smash factor?

If they are X or Y, are there a target values? Do you know what to do to improve them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

That, for me, is part of the issue around the devices. IMHO there's an element of too much information being a little dangerous for someone at times.

In my own case for example I could see from the strokes gained numbers on Shot Scope that, playing off 8, I'm losing just over 8 shots a round to a scratch player - almost 5 of them are off the tee, just over 3 are on approach play. I gain a shot in short game and lose a shot in putting, so breaking even around/on the greens. I guess it points to where I need to improve and what I need to work on. TBH its not something I didn't know, but nice to "confirm" it and see the numbers behind a gut feeling. You can drill down deeper on the dashboard and see tendencies like left miss, right miss, long, short etc etc.

WRT swing speed and smash factor, again purely IMO, I tend to view the devices simply like a weighing scales and to see progress or regression. Doesn't really matter if the scales isn't 100% accurate, as long as I use the same one all the time.

Are they necessary ? Absolutely not, especially if you're not looking to improve or work on something. I think most of us would know instinctively what we're good/bad at. Are they useful ? Definitely, but they're still just measuring devices. You'll still need a professional to tell you how to improve.

I like the sound of that Russman, I’m single digit too but my chipping from off the green is so bad I’ve often said I chip like a 25 handicapper. The days I score well are the days I hit greens in regulation or get close enough to use a putter off the green. Days I’m missing greens then I’m looking at a very poor score. Particularly those delicate chips out off rough or over bunkers.

. I’d like to see the stats on that. As you say we kind of know already but it would be interesting to have it confirmed in detail. I might finally start working more on my wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I have one of those and they are class.....swing speed, ball speed, distance, launch angle video with shot tracer, shot dispersion and record stats for each session etc...all app based but you need an iphone as i'm not sure they have an android version of the app...the only metric of use that it doesn't give you without the subscription is apex height though it still gives you the apex profile for the shots, just not the actual height figure. That doesn't bother me as I'm very close the leopardstown range mentioned above so i get the trackman data also (i got the rapsodo before this was in place) which includes the apex height....the figures also compare favourably with the trackman data when i cross check....

As you say, they're 500 odd new but they do come up the odd time on adverts and done deal....i picked mine up used for 300 so if you're patient they do come up. There may even be one or two out there at the moment if you check both.....i think people get bored with them after a while and more them on.....

In my experience if you could stretch to a used one, they're well worth it over the entry level launch monitors out there.....

Unless i'm mistaken, the arccos won't give you any info on swing speed.....it'll just record your round scored and track your club distances for each shot in the round via the tags and subscription as well as working as a GPS if you can be bothered taking the phone out everytime unless you get the caddy i think.....i use a garmin watch instead...it doesn't need tags and will record distances for each club (you confirm on the watch after each shot) and tell you your distances to green obviously....the app is ok but i don't think as good as arcoss but then you don't need a subscription so swings and roundabouts.....

If you are looking to get consistency or work on swing speed and ball speed etc and gapping with range practice then you'll need the launch monitor....but you will be able to get a good sense of the gapping from a gps watch system or arcoss once you get enough rounds in based on average distances it records....

I started off wanting to know my swing speed mainly for gapping purposes, after reading the responses here I can see the usefulness of having stats built up on my game. You can’t hide from the truth then. No more thinking I hit a 9 iron 150 yards because I did it once or twice, the reality I’m sure would be a good bit less.

The Rapsodo, Arccos and Shot Scope are all interesting options. I wanted to get out of this as cheap as possible but I think this is something that could suck me in. I have been stuck at 8 or 9 handicap now for a few years. Something like this could help point me in the right direction to shave another shot or 2 of the handicap. I know chipping is a major issue but so are lefts and there could be other things I’m not thinking on.

You sound exactly like me OP….I’m potentially a single figure on my day but can’t chip or putt to save my life most days….any decent scores are based around really good days tee to green just like you….launch monitor won’t help with the short game obviously but my garmin or any other similar gps watch which tracks your short game may help with tracking trends and improvements and keep you motivated to improve….in saying that a launch monitor may help with getting your distances dialled in meaning more greens hit and less need for chipping….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

I guess there are two different devices being discussed here; launch monitors and shot trackers. I've got a flightscope mevo launch monitor which is very easy to use and analyze. Picked mine up for €250. Full RRP is around €500 which is probably a bit much, but I'm really liking it so far, have had it for 2 months. I bring it to the range and set it up behind me, which takes seconds, then open up the app and set up the phone where I can see it. As I hit balls I can check what any changes I'm making are doing to the numbers. You can also set it up to take video via your phone, it's able to capture just your shot and overlay the numbers. Screenshot below. The only caveat is that you're using range balls which do behave a bit differently.

I've found that it keeps me in a thinking/learning mode and stops me from just beating balls. Overall I think it makes my range time more useful and more interesting.

I'm actually waiting on delivery of a shot scope v3 with tags so I'm just dipping my toe into the whole shot tracking thing right now.

Yeah arccos doesn’t give swing speed but it does give you an accurate average of how you hit your clubs on course, it removes the outliers too so you get a really good idea of distance. You can drill down the into your misses as well as SG data. Big thing for me with it is I don’t have to do anything during a round, no confirming anything on watch just go to ball and hit it. You can mess around with flag positions for the putting but it’s still pretty good without doing it.

Good to hear it removes outliers Ivefoundgod, I was out this morning and topped a 5 wood. Good to know that wouldn’t matter if I had a shot tracking device on.

Nice carry distance there Sean. Should get you to about 290 with roll out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

That shot is actually a good example of what a monitor can help you with. My instinct is to swing 115 and get a 1.4ish smash factor and maybe a big hook. 105 gets me the same carry and a lot more control

OP, not sure how interested you are in something like the rapsodo, but just to let you know there’s one just gone up on done deal for 350…..

I got the lend of a PRGR of a member in my local club and did a bit of measuring carry distances etc indoors. Very useful bit of kit.

I ended up going for the Arccos Caddie aswell, i got the Sensors free and the Link half price due to owning Ping clubs. Hopefully it was the right decision. Waiting for them to be delivered now. I was very tempted by the Shot Scope too but i have a decent Garmin watch that i will probably continue to use when playing in competitions, so didn't really want another watch. I am interested in the stats that Arccos will offer now over the summer and the next few years.

Thanks for all the advice. Plenty of good options recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I use the shotscope watch and tags €200 (thats what i paid). It pretty good for analysis etc . misses the odd shot but overall great value.

I endulged and bought a SC300 (€400 plus) if i remember for practice at range and at home . Swing speed,carry ,ball speed ,launch angle and smash factor. Spin Rate via an app.

Reveals a lot of home truths. Age is catching up , i don't swing as fast as i used to, my strike is rubbish and it doesn't go as far as i wish it did.

Power bats recon underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got a Cobra putter recently and it came with one of these sensors in it. Signed up to the app and paired the club. Got a 40 day free trial of the app, and they sent me a full box of their sensors. Easily went into the grip and they havn't impeded anything.

Have played two rounds with them. Doesn't give any swing data, but gives tons of information around distances and because its recording your round and clubs used its giving you really good graphics etc. of whats going on. As you play more I assume the feedback and accuracy of areas I'm strong/weak on will improve.

I wasn't overly convinced at the concept, but after two rounds think I'll keep up the subscription for the year. It's about 10EUR a month I think. I use an Applewatch so had no issues with it picking up the clubs hit. The score carding wasn't very accurate though, found myself having to edit putts a fair bit afterwards as it missed nearly a putt a whole (annoying) and it won't pickup any shots where say you pop a ball out of a bunker 10 yards and use the same club again.

Overall though pretty impressed and the graphics and dashboard you get look like they will be really useful. For me personally I'm most interested in getting the yardage from my clubs on it. As I play more rounds it will keep track of how far I'm hitting clubs, and should give me a good indication of gaps in my bag

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting to read the feedback on the more inexpensive launch monitors. From reviews I'd seen on youtube, there was variances in important areas for me. Didn't really see any that looked like they were point, before you get to the huge expensive stuff. I'd be interested in getting something to bring to the range when I'm practicing. But seems like to get the accuracy in the areas I want it's huge money?

• Club speed
    • Ball speed
    • Spinrate
    • Club path + face angle
    • Angle of attack
    • Carry distance
    • Height
    • Launch degree

• Advertisement

Good to hear that Doc, I haven’t set my sensors up yet as we are still on winter tees and using mats of fairways. As soon as we are off them I’ll get using the system. I’m looking forward to seeing the stats too. I have read before that putting can be an issue. The instructions advise to do an edit after the round. I’ll be interested to see how I’m doing tee to green with each club. There are certain clubs I feel I am not great with. The stats will tell the tale after a few months.

Advertisement